PDA

View Full Version : Song Cover Versions

Sir Stinkalot
31st May 2007, 11:45 PM
There are many cover versions out there .... some good, some not.
How about a list of cover versions that perhaps are worth checking out.
If possible try and list the cover artist, the song, and the original artist if know.

Cover Artist - Song - Original

Cake - I will survive - Gloria Gaynor
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen
Gnarls Barkley - Gone Daddy Gone - Violent Femmes
Gary Jules - Mad World - Tears For Fears
Johhny Cash - Hurt - Nine Inch Nails
Frank Bennett - Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Ok that will do me for now.

Andy Mac
1st June 2007, 10:00 AM
Hi Stinky,
Good idea for a thread,:D but don't know quite where to start. There have been so many good ones, and a recent spate of albums of a certain band or artist's material. (Like the excellent Women at the Well covering Paul Kelly compositions). Speaking of whom, I have a really good cover version of Aussie Crawl's Reckless by Paul Kelly, from an Oz album- early 90's-called Recovered Remade. If you see it around, grab it! Unfortunately I only have a taped copy now, but has a cracker version of AC/DC's Whole lotta Rosie...can't identify the band.:-
A local female singer just did a reasonable good version of Cold Chisel's Flame Trees, which I reckon was up amonsgt their best (and therefore sacred!:p ), who was it...Sarah Blasco??
That Johnny Cash one is really good, and speaking of Tony Bennett, did Dave Graney and the Coral Snakes cover You're just too hip baby or did I dream it?!
Cheers,

silentC
1st June 2007, 10:08 AM
Some of my favourites:

The Delltones - Pretty Vacant (Sex Pistols)
Gina Jefferies - Creep (Radiohead)
Troy Cassar Daley - Freak (Silverchair)

:D

Lignum
1st June 2007, 11:31 AM
A few classics.

Joe Cocker "little help from my friends" Beatles

Jimi Hendrix "All along the Watch Tower" Bob Dylan

Manfred Man "Blinded by the light" Bruce Springstein

Sid Vicious "My way" Frank Sinatra

AC/DC "Baby please dont go" Big Joe Williams

Aretha Franklin "Respect" Otis Redding

Eric Clapton "I shot the Sherrif" Bob Marley

Driver
1st June 2007, 05:57 PM
One I particularly like:

Keb' Mo' "Folsom Prison Blues" Johnny Cash

Gingermick
1st June 2007, 06:48 PM
A night in Tunisia, Lee Morgan. No idea who wrote it but every famous jazz trumpet player has done it

tameriska
1st June 2007, 11:22 PM
Orgy -Blue Monday- New Order
Marilyn Manson - Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode
(No, I am NOT a Marilyn Manson or Jesus fan)
Max Graham vs Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart - ? ??
Quiet Riot- C'mon Feel the Noize - Slade
Guns N Roses - Hair of the Dog - Nazareth
Metallica - Turn the Page - Jon English

Thats about all that I can think of at the moment

Lignum
1st June 2007, 11:31 PM
Ernie Sigley and Denise Drysdale "Hey hey Paula" Ray Hildebrand and Jill Jackson :wink:

Harry72
2nd June 2007, 10:30 AM
Tameriska, speaking of Metallica - Stone cold crazy - Queen
Presidents of the United States - kick out the jams - MC5

Cliff Rogers
2nd June 2007, 11:22 AM
Animal from the Muppets, "Mahna Mahna", Mahna Mahna and the Snowths
(Sheet music for this is available in Australia from Alberts Publishing, in Alberts Mammoth Folio 7 "Songs from the continent."
The song was written by Piero Umiliani and is from the 1969 Avco Embassy Film, "Sweden Heaven and Hell.")

:google2:

Geoff Dean
4th June 2007, 08:37 PM
Ted Nugent - Baby Please Don't Go - Big Joe Williams
ACDC - Baby Please Don't Go - Big Joe Williams
Robbie Williams - My Way - Frank Sinatra

namtrak
4th June 2007, 10:03 PM
I reckon most of mine are covered here.

felixe
4th June 2007, 10:11 PM
:2tsup: Henry Rollins and the Hard Ons! "Let there be ROCK!!" AC/DC:2tsup:

Sir Stinkalot
4th June 2007, 10:14 PM
Mrs Robinson - Pennywise - Perhaps Simon and Garfunkle?

If you ever get a chance grab a copy of your favourate band getting covered by The Sting Quartet (Tribute To).

http://www.tmrpro.com/catalog.php?all=yes

I have heard Metallica, Nirvana, Tool, Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The White Stripes and they all sound great. There is some music that sounds just as good in classical.

Also good for dinner parties where you can put on something a little more contemporary without being so loud that you cant talk over it.

Lignum
4th June 2007, 10:38 PM
Summertime by George and Ira Gershwin.

Covered by - Billy Holiday, Frank Sinatra. Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Sam Cooke, Billy Stewart, The Zombies, Tori Amos, Booker T & the MG`s, the Doors, Tommy Dorsy, Peter Gabriel, Herbie Hancock & Joni Mitchell, Led Zep, Paul McCartney, Marilyn Manson, Glenn Miller, Ricky Nelson, REM, Pink, Artie Shaw, Stereophonics, Maria Callis, Stephane Grappelli to name a few.

My 2nd and 3rd and 4th favorite versions are by - Nina Simone, Gerri Garcia and All Green, the obvious all time best at number 1 is by Janis and Big brother & the Holding company

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8npK1q6LY9Q&mode=related&search=

this version is introduced by Maxwell Smart:D

tameriska
4th June 2007, 11:14 PM
One that I forgot, which spun me out when I heard the original,
Nirvarna - The Man Who Sold The World - David Bowie

silentC
5th June 2007, 09:18 AM
That song is off one of my favourite Bowie albums. Very obscure. It was a bit of a surprise to hear Nirvana cover it, let alone have even heard of it.

Lignum
5th June 2007, 09:31 AM
let alone have even heard of it.

Its on the MTV accustic album and a great cover. Like all good and bad music its on utube:)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=209ArurxVG4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=209ArurxVG4)

silentC
5th June 2007, 09:54 AM
I used to hear people talking about it and none of them seemed to realise it was a Bowie song...

It's funny when you hear a song you really like and then find out years later that it was a cover. Bowie did a cover of Across The Universe (Beatles) on Young Americans. I got that album in 1983 when I was doing a bit of a David Bowie retrospective thing. I really liked this song. It's relatively rare for Bowie to do covers and I didn't realise this was one. Then one day about 15 years later I discovered it in a Beatles music book. Since then I've heard The Beatles version a number of times.

Lignum
5th June 2007, 10:41 AM
And the Bowie produced All the youg dudes by Mott the Hoople. Not sure what version i like best as they are both fantastic

scooter
5th June 2007, 09:22 PM
Ugly Kid Joe - Cat's in the Cradle - Don Mclean

Original has it's charms (mainly nostalgic), but sounds flat compared to the cover.

I like Paul Kelly - Reckless - Oz Crawl too, it's on the Paul Kelly album "Hidden Things"

Love Metallica's - Turn the Page - Bob Seger ?

Prefer Mary J Bligh & Bono - One - U2 to the original now.

Robbie Williams & Frank Sinatra - It was a very good year - Frank Sinatra

Cheers..................Sean

sea dragon
6th June 2007, 12:19 AM
Sorry, Scooter. I am significantly sure the original Cats in the Cradle was by the late Harry Chapin.

What was the show on ABC that ended with a different version of Stairway to Heaven? Some amazingly different versions and interpretations and the ABC had the nous to put out a Cd. Contrast Led Zeppelin and Rolf Harris.

The converse is when a song is re-released in a cover and is a pale imitation of the first,
eg Otis Redding's Dock of the Bay, an absolute classic;
Credence Clearwater's Pale Moon Rising;
the cover in Four Weddings and a Funeral of Love is all Around Me (but who did the first)

silentC
6th June 2007, 09:32 AM
What was the show on ABC that ended with a different version of Stairway to Heaven?
That was one of Andrew Denton's shows I think. Money or the Gun? Something like that...

Ross
6th June 2007, 10:33 AM
[quote=sea dragon;523053]What was the show on ABC that ended with a different version of Stairway to Heaven? Some amazingly different versions and interpretations and the ABC had the nous to put out a Cd. Contrast Led Zeppelin and Rolf Harris.

I have been collecting covers of Stairway to Heaven for a while and we have

Dave Mathews Band, Dire Straits, Dolly Parton, The Eagles, Frank Zappa, Guns n Roses, Jimmy Hendrix, Led Zepplin, Metallica, Pink Floyd & Led Zepplin together, Rolf Harris......this is just a few I know there are a lot more.

Ross

namtrak
12th June 2007, 07:39 PM
Rufus Wainwright - Hallelujah - Leonard - This is the version from Shrek and I enjoy it more than the Jeff Buckley version.

ACDC - Baby Please Dont Go - I love this largely because of the look on Malcoms face when Bon starts rolling around the Countdown stage

Psycho Killer - Velvet Revolver - SWMBO introduced me to this a couple of days ago. This may be sacrilegious, but these guys (a morphed group of ex Bums and Noses people and a few other ring ins) do a fantastic job. The song is really based up, and you can you tube it here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wcP4S3M3oU4), even the mp3 of it is pretty easy to find

Like a Version JJJ they have some great stuff, but at the moment I think the Triple MMM Musical Challenge has them beat

Lignum
13th June 2007, 09:12 AM
Rufus Wainwright - Hallelujah - Leonard - This is the version from Shrek and I enjoy it more than the Jeff Buckley version.

Great to see someone give the best version by miles (Rufus Wainwright) over the ordinary and overated Jeff Buckley version:)

Harry72
13th June 2007, 11:51 PM
Not exactly a cover song as such... but never the less a good cover! HERE (http://www.glumbert.com/media/hokeypokey)

Charles S.
14th June 2007, 07:43 PM
Phil Collins - Loyal - Dave Dobbyn

I can barely think of anything at the moment, I am half asleep! ;)

Bleedin Thumb
10th July 2007, 09:34 AM
Rolling Stones -Satisfaction - Devo

namtrak
10th July 2007, 12:32 PM
Check out the covers project (http://www.coversproject.com/)

Welcome to The Covers Project

We're building a database of cover songs (songs RECORDED by an artist other than the original ARTIST) with the intention of creating cover "chains." A cover chain is a set of songs in which each RECORDING is a cover of a RECORDING by the ARTIST who covered the preceding song. For example:

The The Drifters song "On Broadway" was covered by Gary Numan
The Gary Numan song "I Die, You Die" was covered by Magnetic Fields
The Magnetic Fields song "Falling In Love With The Wolfboy" was covered by Dead Dog
The Dead Dog song "The Optimist" was covered by Love, Execution Style

Bleedin Thumb
10th July 2007, 01:58 PM
Welcome to The Covers Project

We're building a database of cover songs :

Namtrak, who's the we're - are you involved with the project?

namtrak
10th July 2007, 04:40 PM
Namtrak, who's the we're - are you involved with the project?

Oops - no - nothing to do with me.

I just cut and paste stuff to save people the hassle of checking it out. I came across it when I was looking for a Velvet Revolver album and I thought it might fit in this thread.

Cheers

Bleedin Thumb
10th July 2007, 08:19 PM
I just remembered another

Gloria ....originally by Van Morrison- every man and their dog has done a version but my all time fav would be by Patty Smith.

Lignum
10th July 2007, 08:29 PM
Was her version a cover or an original with a big chunk of sampled Gloria?

It did have that memorable opening "Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine":cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mIsN2JHPds :D

Bleedin Thumb
10th July 2007, 08:48 PM
I doubt it Lig, I thing it came out in 75? and I don't think samplers were even invented,

Horses was the first record I ever bought, 2nd was Velvet Underground and Nico, 3rd was Todd Rundgren which goes to show we all stuff up somedays. :doh: :U

Lignum
10th July 2007, 08:55 PM
I didnt mean she sampled but it was probably an "original " version of sampling as they are almost 2 different songs. I love her version.

This is my favourite Patti Smith cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRqR_CUeY4M

Not the best quality version, but all i could find :D

Bleedin Thumb
11th July 2007, 08:19 PM
Lignum, thanks for those links - I don't recall even seeing a film clip with her in before. I also think she must be afraid of flying as I don't think she's ever graced our shores - I'd still go to a concert if she did.

Anyhow thought of another couple of fav covers

Dylan's - Tangled Up In Blue covered by the Whitlams
Dionne Warwick's - Walk on By covered by the Stranglers

patty
11th July 2007, 08:39 PM
my favourite covers would have to be

ugly kid joe cats in the cradle cat stevens cat stevens
faith no more easy the commodores
guns 'n" roses knockin on heavens door Bob Dylan
joe Cocker Little help from my friends beatles

ps one of the worst covers would have to be celine dion covering shook me all night long Acadaca doing the rounds on you tube check it out it is terrible
And yes sirstink you have great taste in music Pennywise go off Surfin USA cover

patty
12th July 2007, 11:04 PM
that right its not cat stevens it was Harry Chapin

Andy Mac
13th July 2007, 09:38 AM
I didnt mean she sampled but it was probably an "original " version of sampling as they are almost 2 different songs. I love her version.

This is my favourite Patti Smith cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRqR_CUeY4M

Not the best quality version, but all i could find :D

Thanks Lignum,
Great way to start the work day! I enjoyed that, but I don't think the guy who announced it was as excited as he said! 'Dubious' is probably an understatement...

Cheers,

Lignum
13th July 2007, 09:53 AM
Andy i think you gave the wrong link to the excited guy. I bet he had never even heard of her up until 5 minutes before he was to read the autoque:D

And its amazing at times in that clip how much she looks like Joey Rammone

silentC
13th July 2007, 10:20 AM
Interesting cover. Kept waiting for the G L O R I-I-I-I-I bit. No doubt we'll be playing that tonight - Black Friday Gig at the Chook and Ox Tavern.

Bleedin Thumb
13th July 2007, 11:02 AM
Interesting cover. Kept waiting for the G L O R I-I-I-I-I bit. No doubt we'll be playing that tonight - Black Friday Gig at the Chook and Ox Tavern.

Wow sounds like the place to be tonight , thats for sure!:D

silentC
13th July 2007, 12:04 PM
Yeah, come and join the crowd. There'll be at least 20 people in the room :)

Lignum
13th July 2007, 03:24 PM
No doubt we'll be playing that tonight - Black Friday Gig at the Chook and Ox Tavern.

Silent you need someone to video a song and utube it for us. I would love to see/hear the band:)

silentC
13th July 2007, 03:29 PM
What, and shatter the illusion that I'm a sh#t hot drummer? :wink:

Ruddigar
13th July 2007, 03:41 PM
Who has that delusional illusion? :?

silentC
13th July 2007, 03:46 PM
Now listen here, you Johnny post lately, it's well known on this forum. One of my greatest fans was a bloke who doesn't post here any more. His name was Felder and he knew a truly great muso when he met one. Damn poor judgement when it came to machinery, but none of us held that against him.

Bleedin Thumb
13th July 2007, 03:46 PM
It wouldn't take much to beat the production values of some of existing stuff on youtube.

You never know you break out of the underground cult status.

silentC
13th July 2007, 03:48 PM
You've got to be in the underground cult status to break out of it :(

We do a great cover of Get On Top though...

Bleedin Thumb
13th July 2007, 03:58 PM
Who has that delusional illusion? :?

Shhhh didn't you know Silent's a legend in his own lunchtime..:D

craigb
13th July 2007, 05:02 PM
We do a great cover of Get On Top though...

As in Tim Buckley?

silentC
13th July 2007, 05:18 PM
One and the same. Trev does an awesome Tim Buckley :)

Ruddigar
13th July 2007, 05:25 PM
One of my greatest fans was a bloke who doesn't post here any more. His name was Felder and he knew a truly great muso when he met one. Damn poor judgement when it came to machinery, but none of us held that against him.
Sounds to me like he knew nothing of machinery nor muso's.

Seriously - does this bloke look like a s#*t hot drummer to you?

silentC
16th July 2007, 09:52 AM
Looks like a wannabe to me :p

Nice shiny kit though, bet it doesn't look like that now...

Bleedin Thumb
16th July 2007, 09:56 AM
Silent how did Friday night go, did you bring the house down?

silentC
16th July 2007, 10:57 AM
We had a good night and as far as I could tell the other 5 people in the room did too, but I guess they had to get up early the next morning :)

Nah it was a good night by local standards. There was a 21st party at the pub, so we had a few there. Played again on Saturday night at a local club. Bugger all people at that one. Too cold to go out this time of the year down here.

Dusty
18th July 2007, 10:37 PM
Rod Stewart "First cut is the deepest" Cat Stevens

Keith Urban (Medley) " Galveston/ Wichita lineman" Glen Campbell

Keith Urban "Devil Went Down To Georgia" Charlie Daniels Band

Every up-and-coming band on the planet "Sweet Home Alabama" Lynryd Skynryd

goodwoody
27th September 2007, 01:37 AM
Check out 'hay seed willy' they do all covers. groover hillbilly tunes of acdc.
I have a copy of Frank Zappa and Ozzy Osborne covering Stayin' alive by the BeeGees. Super cool.

glock40sw
27th September 2007, 08:18 AM
G'day.
Nickelback's version of Saturday nights alright for fighting originaly by Sir Elton John.

really schit hot...

Sebastiaan56
27th September 2007, 05:16 PM
Zappa's cover of "I am the Walrus". All of the soundtrack of "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" which are all covers off The Anthology of American Folk Music.

My current favourite song/cover/artist of all time ever and ever, truly ruly...

YouTube - The Chieftains & Alison Krauss - Molly Ban

Grumpy John
4th October 2008, 02:50 PM
Some of my favourites:

The Delltones - Pretty Vacant (Sex Pistols)
Gina Jefferies - Creep (Radiohead)
Troy Cassar Daley - Freak (Silverchair)

:D

Someone's got Andrew Denton's Musical Challenge cd.

Personally, I think Diesel's version of I Write The Songs is the standout track. Barry Manilow doing the blues, who wooda thunkit :D.

Sebastiaan56
9th October 2008, 04:47 PM
then there is the London Ukelele Orchestra

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=PfK-UzQ48JE&feature=related

Grumpy John
31st March 2009, 07:15 PM
ZZ Top's version of Viva Las Vegas, originally by "The King"
Holes version of It's All over Now Baby Blue, written by Bob Dylan. Probably the best known version is by Graham Bonnet.