PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Gum

outback
1st June 2007, 04:17 PM
Is this stuff worth milling or not? I have a log, been down and dead for about 12 years, I was wondering if it is worth the effort. I would expect anything too flash in the grain department, but if it's stable and all I may give it a whirl.

DJ’s Timber
1st June 2007, 04:26 PM
I reckon it would be worth milling, I certainly would. Here is some info (http://www.ffp.csiro.au/alrtig/sugargum.htm) on it

Ross
1st June 2007, 06:07 PM
Its timber and its free........go for it.

Ross

outback
1st June 2007, 06:37 PM
Its timber and its free........go for it.

Ross

These are my thoughts also. If I don't get anything to the contrary, I'll attack it. Won't be for a few weeks, no time, no time. :(

martrix
1st June 2007, 06:47 PM
do it..... just to watch the streamers fly if nothing else.:D

Any euc is good wood, especially when its free.:cool: pics?

slabber
1st June 2007, 07:10 PM
got nothing to lose

outback
2nd June 2007, 08:23 AM
OK, I'll give her a rip. (bad pun)
Won't be for a few weeks, but I'll do the pic thing as I go.

Exador
2nd June 2007, 09:25 AM
do it..... just to watch the streamers fly if nothing else.:D

Any euc is good wood, especially when its free.:cool: pics?

No it's not. Scribbly gum for example. Never seen anything split like it. It's the only self-splitting firewood I've ever seen.

weisyboy
10th June 2007, 09:52 AM
its nice timber but it's no good for milling into small dimensions as it has blood rings that split out and you end up with a lot of short pieces. but as slabs or beams its great.

bovalino1
22nd July 2007, 11:59 PM
G'Day outback I have milled over 60 cu meter of sugar gum it very good furniture timber best cut green and with in a few day of cutting as the dryer it gets the harder it is to mill good luck with it let me know how you go Regards Charles