PDA

View Full Version : where to...

Jedo_03
1st June 2007, 08:49 PM
the missus suggests another 'big' trip next year...
suggestions so far are
Kimberly's (I've been - she hasn't)
North Queensland (neither of us been there)
so - what do forumites recommend
anytime june july august
Nissan Patrol and caravan
grey brigade
GPS and radios
any other good suggestions welcomed
cheers
Jedo

echnidna
1st June 2007, 09:03 PM
what about up the centre to Darwin.
Then you could come back a bit and go to FNQ via Mt Isa
or turn West and head South via Kununurra etc to Perth then Adelaide then home.
Both Great trips if you head off the main track and look at other nearby places

Big Shed
1st June 2007, 09:06 PM
If you go via Mt Isa, you have to go to Lawn Hill Gorge. Gods' own country.

Jedo_03
2nd June 2007, 09:41 PM
what about up the centre to Darwin.
Then you could come back a bit and go to FNQ via Mt Isa
or turn West and head South via Kununurra etc to Perth then Adelaide then home.
Both Great trips if you head off the main track and look at other nearby places

should have elaborated...
the "kimberly's" trip was up through the middle to darwin (Minke Markets on the thursday night) - then turn left down to fitzroy crossing - shoot north to do the kimberlys... then south to Hedland (buggar all there but gotta stop at 80 mile beach) - east to newman - south to meeka then part of the gunbarrell over to Kalgoorlie - then east to home via the nullabor... done all that trip from fitzroy to home before... but never seen the kimberleys except by air...
FNQ via Mt Isa - I wondered what FNQ was like - interesting or what... nice to see the sub-tropical \ rainforests and the like (is there any left)

And branching off the main track is the way we go...
thankees
cheers
Jedo

Jedo_03
2nd June 2007, 09:45 PM
If you go via Mt Isa, you have to go to Lawn Hill Gorge. Gods' own country.

thanks big shed...
have noted that
If we do FNQ, Mt Isa will be a stop...
As I said though... what is FNQ like...
Cheers
Jedo

David L
6th June 2007, 06:58 PM
If you do FNQ you may be interested in the rainforest and water fall circuit
west of Innisfail. It should be recovering from the cyclone by now.
Walkaman caravan park 7km north of Atherton is a good and cheap place to stay.

Jedo_03
6th June 2007, 08:57 PM
If you do FNQ you may be interested in the rainforest and water fall circuit
west of Innisfail. It should be recovering from the cyclone by now.
Walkaman caravan park 7km north of Atherton is a good and cheap place to stay.

what's the rainforest and waterfall circuit - west of innisfail...
sounds good
Walkaman caravan park. atherton - noted it into the holiday book - thanks
cheers
Jedo

journeyman Mick
6th June 2007, 09:50 PM
Drop me a line when you come up. I'd post some info but I'm on some one else's 'puter at the moment, will post more when i can.

Mick

powderpost
6th June 2007, 10:59 PM
There is a nomads gathering in Mareeba in July for "Christmas in July". Like Mick said, contact me if you get to the Atherton Tablelends.
Jim

Jedo_03
6th June 2007, 11:24 PM
There is a nomads gathering in Mareeba in July for "Christmas in July". Like Mick said, contact me if you get to the Atherton Tablelends.
Jim
Jim - is that good for NEXT year,,, like EVERY year,,,
We are fans of CIJ...
Christmas in Queensland... Lah...
Cheers
Jedo

Wild Dingo
7th June 2007, 04:45 AM
Of course your gonna HAVE to head up through the centre and accross to the Kimberlies... I mean comeon!!!... and if you hurry it up you can call in an meet up with ol Chris out at the Bidjiadanga settlement... but you better get your finger out because hes due down here at Dingo Creek in a couple of weeks time!! :2tsup:

But you gotta get her up there!! brilliant place all through anywhere above the 26th parallel from WA to Qld :2tsup:

Jedo_03
7th June 2007, 10:15 PM
i agree with you... Gods own back yard up there...
tried to get her to go and LIVE up there...
picked er up at Hedland airport and spent 6 weeks in the pilbara and north to fitzroy and east over the sandy desert, far as punmu...
trouble was it was over christmas and into late january...
NOT the time to try and persuade a POM to come there and LIVE...
the HUMIDITY buggered her... yeah - it did...
shouldha brought er over in june july time...
we're all gifted with hindsite though....
I reckon it'll be up the middle and over to the Kimberlys meself...
But thats NEXT year Dingo...
BTW - tell us more about ol Chris... must be an interesting fella...
cheers
Yinitju ngayuku Jedo

JackoH
8th June 2007, 10:20 AM
Read "'s Rambles". Did a big trip a couple of years ago, didn't you Robb?
I saved and printed it and a search of these forums will find it.
Bloody good read.

powderpost
8th June 2007, 08:16 PM
Jedo... Yep CIJ is an annual event in Mareeba.
Jim

Wild Dingo
11th June 2007, 01:51 AM
Spent most of my growing up years up through the Gascoyne Pilbara Kimberlies and Territory Jedo... would go back in a flash too... but like yours mine just isnt into the heat humidity and dust... must be a sheila thing eh?... but then my younger sis loves it up there so maybe its just our particular missus's?

We went up that way stayed in Derby for a couple of months then over to Darwin and down the centre for our late and extended honeymoon 24 years back and when we passed Parrachilna she muttered "THATS BLOODY WELL IT!!" and weve never managed to get her past Exmouth since :C We tried a couple of times but by Nanutarra roadhouse she was screamin and ravin about dust an heat swearin to cut me joowels off an barbieque them for the local tribes if I didnt turn back... and bein as Im a nice bloke I promptly took the carving knife of her and turned back :no:

aaahhh Chris... yes a truely individually challenging charector of the forum alumni indeed... I knew him first from an American boat forum and back then he was known as "doorstop" here as well... hes since had a metamorphis and turned himself into Christoph or some such... but hes been to Bidgy now so hes tuff as knuts an twice as cranky... weve been mates on the net for over 6 years now but mostly due to him bein over east an me bein here never had the chance to actually meet but Ive kept in touch... ahem HE has kept in touch I meant to say Im a shocker for that... and so now in a week or so hes heading southward having done his penance up there and reckons hes gonna come invade Dingo Creek for a time... Me an Chris have always gotten on for some obscure reason reckon its the mindset of manic madness that does it meself... be good to finally meet him in the flesh so to speak after all this time.

Of course as yet the time hes gonna stay is so far undisclosed... but if its longer than a few hours then Ive got this thicknesser that needs some help then theres the jointer that could do with a talking to and some lathe stuff I could learn... then there is that pile of logs that needs chainsawing and firewood that needs choppin... and some major weed spraying I cant do cause Im allergic to pesticides but someones gonna have to get geared up in the condom suit and do for me... then I reckon theres a whole mess of other jobs I or the missus can get him doin :2tsup: Mind you I hope hes got a welder in his kitbag cause me F100 needs its tow bar welded back on :roll:

mmmm there was a reason young Aaron bolted to Kalgoorlie a few months back... wonder how Chris will feel bein my dogsbody for awhile? :U

Back to the trip... me Id do the barossa if I had the chance again... leave the car behind take a tour bus and drink me way back!! :2tsup: Or Tassy for the cider an wine tours... again park the car up and take a tour pour me way back pickin up a good line on some nice black sassafrass an some nice huon on the way through :2tsup:

Still hope the buggar brings a welder with him

kekemo
26th June 2007, 01:59 AM
Sorry haven't been to Queensland so that's my preference.....but travelled the up North route a few years back....if you do the short journey up to Newman & see Karajini National Park.....its nearly as good as the full north thingy.....then you can take off over to the mystical place that I'm dreaming of going to.....
Most used item...camera....
take laptop to down load photo's....each day...
take few specially packed items....
present for wife....
just to tell her you really love her in the middle of no-where....
bring out the card....silk scarf
or nice picture frame with grandkids photo in it....
remember to be romantic....
perhaps a bottle of wine....
& toast to all your woodworking friends who can't leave the sawdust for what ever reasons....
a couple of spare note pads to jot down, dates, peoples names & places folk tell you about on the way...
lots of business cards....
if your phone is not a Telsta..mobile might pay you to get a cheap pre-paid for a few months of travelling.....
enjoy....the trip....regards Kerry...alias KEKEMO:2tsup:

Jedo_03
26th June 2007, 09:10 PM
Ta Kerry
Nice to see it from a female perspective...
I will employ those tactics on ALL of our trips from now on...
Even when we go to the shops..
See where it gets me...
Thanks
Jedo

ian
26th June 2007, 09:23 PM
the missus suggests another 'big' trip next year...
suggestions so far are
Kimberly's (I've been - she hasn't)
North Queensland (neither of us been there)
so - what do forumites recommend
anytime june july august
Nissan Patrol and caravan
grey brigade
GPS and radios
any other good suggestions welcomed
cheers
Jedo
you'll be gone for 3 months or so? if so how about
across the "another-boar" to Kalgoolie (do some whale watching in the bite)
then
Shark Bay and the dolphins
Hamersley, Kimberlys then onto Mt Isa skipping Darwin
then FNQ and home via Carnarvon Gorge

ian

Jedo_03
27th June 2007, 10:36 PM
you'll be gone for 3 months or so? if so how about
across the "another-boar" to Kalgoolie (do some whale watching in the bite)
then
Shark Bay and the dolphins
Hamersley, Kimberlys then onto Mt Isa skipping Darwin
then FNQ and home via Carnarvon Gorge

ian

Hi ian...
Nah - gonna be more like 5 or 6 weeks...
... have done the trip: home - nullabor+whale watching - shark bay, carnarvon - karratha - hamersley - pilbara - sandy desert - return via gunbarrel to home...
didn't take in the kimberleys.. and never been to FNQ...
If we DO the kimberleys next year it'll probaly be a western approach from NT as we've never done the watsit highway tween Darwin and Fitzroy... probaly twould be nice to go central over the gibber highway and take in the meteorite hole etc - even nicer up from the Alice through the sacred lands...
If we DO FNQ then it's a few days haul up to Mt Isa... and many more days up to Cairns and Townsville and we're still not technically FNQ...
It will have to be one or the other...
but - which one...
either way it's gonna be a bit rushed...
Jedo

ian
27th June 2007, 11:26 PM
Hi ian...
Nah - gonna be more like 5 or 6 weeks...

If we DO FNQ then it's a few days haul up to Mt Isa... and many more days up to Cairns and Townsville and we're still not technically FNQ...
It will have to be one or the other...
but - which one...
either way it's gonna be a bit rushed...
JedoHow about ...
up the Silver City to Tibooburra (lunch day 1) then across to Wanaaring (for the night)
— or up the guts via Noonthorangee and White Cliffs
cross the border at Hungerford then onto Charleville
then say Blackall, Longreach, Isa
then say Normanton, Georgetown, Undara volcanic caves, Atherton Cairns, Daintree, Cooktown, The Cape
and back home down the coast to Rocky, then inland via Biloela, Chinchilla, Goondiwindi, then follow the Darling back home

would take you about 10 days to get to the Gulf, a week to get back from Cairns leaving about 3 weeks in FNQ

ian

who many many years ago lived in The Hill