PDA

View Full Version : Get what you deserve at The Block

John G
11th August 2003, 02:10 PM
It is with great satisfaction, but not surprise, that I read that all 4 apartments in "The Block" have breached building standards! If you haven't seen it, read it here: <http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,6915810%255E2902,00.html>
(although the online version has a lot less detail than the paper version)

I have always hated this show, not so much because it is another reno show, but because the renos are being done by a group of amateurs who wouldn't know which end of a hammer to hold. So who can be surprised by the lack of quality!

I could go on about how pathetic it all is, but it would run into pages...

Anyway, it will now be interesting to see what ch9 does about it. The inspection report says that 3 of the apartments need "substantial repairs", including replumbing, waterproofing, and ventilation. I have noted how ch9 have tried to suppress the report, and the chief executive has dismissed it (as if he would know anything about building codes!!!) So will ch9:
- extend the series by a couple of weeks while the repairs are made?
- get the repairs done in secret, hoping no-one notices? or
- use their legal power to challenge the inspection and get the apartments approved?

Wouldn't it be awesome if they failed to sell at auction!

Wood Borer
11th August 2003, 05:16 PM
John,

Surely you are not suggesting that the quick/simple/efficient methods are no good.

Get with it man. Training, education, experience, planning etc went out of fashion ages ago. In the old days, people trained, acquired skills and used appropriate materials. Old hat….they took forever to build the buildings and the expense was sky high. Training is a drain on our ECONOMY and employing trained staff is damned expensive plus you don’t want to employ smart people that might show you up.

Thanks to the new way of thinking, today we can get accountants, solicitors and politicians to do all the planning and have lower paid unskilled plebs do the work. You see in this way, for the same cost you end up with an enviro-friendly/great for the ECONOMY type building. Why?

It turns itself into rubble by automatically – no need to use energy for demolishing purposes, no need for demolition permits either.

It helps to reduce the current plague of humans on planet earth by crushing, poisoning, suffocating, electrocuting, drowning, gassing, disease caused by the raw effluent from ruptured/inadequate sewage pipes etc.

The people doing the planning and building don’t need to be educated or trained so the spaces where previously there were colleges and universities can be used for more developments, more money for the developer, no more green areas to mow and weed.

Remember Pythagorus - the chap who gave us a theory about right angled triangles? In his day they built buildings that had right angles but new buildings don’t have right angles so kids won’t have to learn trigonometry at school any more. Gets them out into the workforce earlier.

Because of the reduction of the Australian population due to the increased “accidental deaths” we could bring in tourists and terrorists, grab their dough (for the ECONOMY) and house them in our wonderful buildings. Pre-payment would be necessary because their stay will be cut short.

The Government could solve all their problems by housing refugees in these buildings – that way there would be a building boom (replacing the auto rubble buildings), make the refugees want to return home, and get more votes because they seem to be making things happen.

At least one equality issue with the Aborigines would be solved because then we would all live in sub-standard housing, no need for apologies. Potentially our life expectancy would be reduced so there is another equality issue met. The UN would be proud of progress.

I don’t understand how you could possibly put such a negative spin on such a positive and contemporary attitude. Just what century are you from?

Shame on you John.

- Wood Borer

ozwinner
11th August 2003, 05:40 PM
Hi all
I agree with Wood Borer.
Every day on site, you see all these dick heads with their diplomas. or what ever.
Trying to speak some sort of "trade talk".
Most wouldnt know their from their elbow.
I've spent 30 years learning my trade ( no,.... art ) and all these doofuses think, that after a few years at school they know more than you about your own job.
I know heaps of tradies who would give it up tomorrow because of all the crap they go through.
Good to see that the BLOCK is in trouble, move over poofie let the real men in. ( on site I mean )
Sorry if I offended you, if not, give it time................lol
Cheers, Allan;)

Rowan
11th August 2003, 05:41 PM
John

you forgot option 4.

Eddy Maguire will take over the project and fix everything himself with the help of "HIS" football team.

Pulpo
11th August 2003, 08:58 PM
Media watch did a story on the block.

Rather very funny, every product on the show were paid promotions; the more they paid the more air time right up to being written into the scrip.

You would think ch 9 would have some consultant on board to cover this very obvious potential problem.

My little sister (18yrs) who would not know what a hammer looks like loved the show.
Basically this show was aimed at entertainment, nothing more.

I see all contestants will have to pay tax on all money earned.

And no I never watched the show.

As for plumbing and electrical problems, would they not have been trades people?

As for the serious DIY person there is not too many decent books to guide the person for the task at hand

kenmil
11th August 2003, 09:24 PM
Jeez Woodborer, who pressed your buttons ??

derekcohen
11th August 2003, 10:00 PM
Girls

I may as well add my tuppence (remember those?).

The "in" TV format currently is about relationships and how people in a confined space react to conflict and pressure. "Big Brother", "Survival" and others of a like ilk.

On one hand I find it interesting that this is what turns people on (or, perhaps, what those in the TV business determine what will turn viewers on). Yes, the programmes are crap from a "real world" perspective, but they are not meant to represent reality. Rather, they offer viewers the opportunity to observe "everyday people", like themselves. Viewers can identify with the main characters (who tend to be lithe, gorgeous young things - just like you and I!).

So how dare they move into our territory!! Geez, woodworking, plumbing, home improvement - these require skills, not just a pretty face.

Actually, the average viewer cannot tell a hammer from a spanner (and probably uses them interchangeably). They are not looking at the methods used. Actually, I think some of the designs are good - shows a spark of creativity. But viewers are not there for that. They are there to see the contestants compete and interact, experience the intrigue of another's life - it's all very voyeuristic.

So, don't get too worked up my friends. It has nothing at all to do with woodworking.

My best regards from Perth

Derek (who has now gone back to his whisky)

journeyman Mick
11th August 2003, 10:35 PM
I have to admit I find this type of show entertaining, just not in the way that the producers intend though. I can't say I've ever watched a full episode of any of them, 5 - 10 mins is usually enough for my fix of that heady mixture of righteous indignation and stunned disbelief. I saw about 2 mins of the block one night and one couple was rather upset that a tradesman had backcharged them for having to clean up their mess in order to perform his work. Quite amusing watching these people get indignant as they did not know that's how things operate in the industry. Wake up! If you're acting as the principal contractor, which you are when going owner builder YOU are responsible for everything on site, and oddly enough it's not the tradesman's responsibility to educate you, they're trying to make a living, and it's getting harder all the time without having to baby sit a bunch of namby pamby renovators. Of course, it's easy to laugh and poke fun at the people on the TV, it's a different matter when you are trying to point out to a client that if they change their mind halfway through a job then they will have to pay for the changes. It's happened to me more than once:mad:

Mick

Glen Bridger
12th August 2003, 01:27 AM
Hi All,

Thought I'd put my bit in as well.

What a bunch of dunder heads they all are. I can't believe that they all had $40,000 to decorate their apartments.
Supposedly the whole block was in a Structurally Sound condition before they moved in. Except for a few friendly white-ants.
Which I might add, were treated and all damage repaired by the show.

It means that these idiots took four, nearly restored apartments and trashed them while spending $40,000 in the process.

And what kind of plumber is Paul? Three major leaks in HIS new plumbing.

I would love to have $40,000 to renovate my place. I have done lots and lots to my house with a lot less. I always do a lot a research (probably too much) before I attempt anything. And quite often I find alternate methods or ideas because I know that I'll probably stuff it up.

Glen

Wood Borer
12th August 2003, 09:34 AM
Who pressed my buttons?

Maybe it is the similarity to my industry (telecommunications) where the untrained and overpaid consistently stuff up and expect the trained and underpaid to patch up. Apologies and learning from mistakes do not happen.

Anyway, I think we should be concerned about what will happen to the future generations, sure we will be OK but with lack training and lack of skills they are destined to become slaves to the large stores selling overpriced junk.

Don't worry I am not about to explode. Some topics just need a bit of energy put into them.

- Wood Borer

PS couldn't do any woodwork last weekend - worked on Saturday and went to the bush for a funeral on Sunday - could be withdrawal symptoms.

John G
12th August 2003, 01:31 PM
I guess Derek is right, this show isn't anything to do with real renovating, more to do with voyeurism of people's relationships. Except...
These apartments will be sold to real people for the (presumed) purpose of people really living in them. This is how the show differs from Survivor or Big Brother. I would therefore think that ch9 had a duty of care to have things done properly.
Then again, its not as if these are the only people in the world to do a self-renovation. Some of the houses I have looked at (done by supposed "professionals") have been atrocious. One place I remember looked all nice (freshly painted), but the floors were all uneven, and my foot went through the new deck at the back (it literally broke a board in the deck!).
I wonder why I get so worked up about these shows? I should know it's just TV...

Sir Stinkalot
12th August 2003, 10:37 PM
It was interesting to see on the hard hitting expose done by Ray Martin that one of the problems found in the building inspection was .... the height of the stair risers leading up to the upstairs appartments .... the tiling of the aforementioned stairs was done by a professional.

Zed
13th August 2003, 10:12 AM
Yes, thats right - you are all forgetting the most important thing about the BLOCK, Yes thats right - Fiona, her & her hooters are in this months Ralph Magazine. Should make it all worth while!

Get your priorities right guys!

Fair go Stoppers - not all renovators are dickheads - I take umbrage to that statement...

You're right about Paul though - who'd hire him now ???:confused:

Sir Stinkalot
13th August 2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Zed
Yes, thats right - you are all forgetting the most important thing about the BLOCK, Yes thats right - Fiona, her & her hooters are in this months Ralph Magazine. Should make it all worth while!

Sorry but I would have to second that :p

DaveInOz
13th August 2003, 03:51 PM
What renovations?:confused:

:D :D ;)

ozwinner
13th August 2003, 05:31 PM
Hi Stoppers
Maybe the plumber was haveing hot flushes.............lol.

Hot water connected to the toilet cistern (by a PLUMBER!!)
Cheers. Allan

John Saxton
13th August 2003, 09:53 PM
Didn't see the programme, but wondered whether they gave the exact location....just want to make sure no $$$$$ are invested there in the future judging by comments?

Cheers:)

derekcohen
14th August 2003, 01:41 AM
Johnno

The block of flats in question is in Roscoe Street, Bondi. I know it well - my wife used to run a school there (before we moved to Perth 16 years ago). Small world.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Theva
14th August 2003, 10:48 AM
Hi gang,

There are two kinds of renovators (at least).

One fixes up the place to sell it at a profit and other is doing up the place to live in.

I have nothing to say adout the first kind or the people who buy those houses.

The second group tries to to the best job for themselfs, after lots and lots of recerch abd do it whithin their budget. These guys learn their limitations and what bits they can do and what bits are vlbest left to proffesionals. I suppose I fall in to this catogary.

There are tasks which cannot be done on DIY mode to the level of perfection, one would expect unless you get trads to do them. ie- rendering, finishing plasterboards etc. Some tasks should only be done by crertified trades- pluming, electrical etc -

In my case, I limit my adventures to wood related work.

now, re the bolck-

there was some footage of the "ckick of the block" sanding plasterboards; she must have been an expert because she did not get any dust on her at all.

Any sugestions on how it is possible or how can I learn her technique or will she be avilable to coach us morons?....

Cheers,

Theva
:p

Sturdee
14th August 2003, 11:53 AM
Theva,

As to " Chick on the Block" sanding plasterboards without any dust, thats easy - just dress seductively and get somebody to film it but above all don't switch on the sander.

After all its only make believe - its television.

Cheers,

Peter.

Wood Borer
14th August 2003, 02:15 PM
Put yourself in the place of the sander - would you be doing any sanding?

Sturdee
14th August 2003, 05:09 PM
Not as long it is one of the chicks handling me - but if its one of those guys I'd blown my fuse.

Peter.

DaveInOz
14th August 2003, 05:12 PM
but if its one of those guys I'd blown my fuse

Uuuuuuummmmmm ...... okay Sturdee, :eek:

You might want to rephrase that mate :rolleyes:

Sturdee
15th August 2003, 09:16 AM
Sorry guys,

If my musings was either unclear, open to misinterpretation or offending any sensibilities I apologise.

As suggested I rephrase :

.............................I'd refuse to work.

Peter

craigb
18th August 2003, 06:00 PM
I can honestly say that I didn't watch any of this series, but what with all the hype in the press about it, it was impossible not to be aware of it. Anyway, the auctioned them on Saturday. The top price was $750,000. This for a two bedroom flat without parking.

This is also, according to the newspaper, at least $100,00 more than the going rate for that sort of flat in that suburb.

I'll never understand people !

dzcook
19th August 2003, 05:10 PM
well the places where sold last night and cant believe the prices taht they went for
as a home renovator ( ha ha ) i would really like to see what some of theese house do overs are like in 10 yrs time
and something that bugs me with them all is that they only ever do hses that are on the urban coast where if they are lucky and spend there 10000 they might get 50000 added to the price of the building , my hse only cost me 35000 so to spend 15000 or so on it is ridiculous and wouldnt give me any return in the small town i am in

and anyway who would want to live in sydney !!

Markw
21st August 2003, 04:48 PM
Gentlemen,
I have never heard such a pack of whining girls . I started by trade life as a diesel plant mechanic, but gave that up to stay clean by going back to school for mechanical engineering.

As an ex-motor mech, every man, dog, cat and budgie thinks they knows how to fix their own car truck etc. In truth they can pull the jigsaw apart and put it back together again but they don't know how to resolve the problem, but we don't complain. We happliy take their money when they've really stuffed it. Problem is we don't get the chance with the ones wrapped around a pole. Our loss.

The block should have done more to make you the $$$$$ than anything else.

Of course many of you seem to take this elitist view that your God's gift to the world of renovation. Trust me no one is. Most people aren't puttng first floor additions on, they're only doing the equivalent of changing spark plugs - who cares.

Vonrek
21st August 2003, 06:02 PM
Well put Mark. I must say I agree with your sentiment, If not quite your phrasiology (is that a real word??). Every weekend, hundreds if not thousands of renovators are out there doing their thing. Who cares if they do a crap job?? You don't have to buy/live in the crappily renovated abode. If they really stuff it up who do they call? The professionals who surely must be getting more work than ever before with the recent boom (some might say fad) in DIY reno's. And what do we have to thank for this boom....... I'd say its the TV reno shows!!
Another great spin off is the decrease in price and increase in availability of power tools. Yes some of these are crap too, but who cares when you can but a workable GMC biscuit joiner, or Router or cordless drill for cheap bucks with a 2 year warranty to boot. Is it the massive increase in people doing fine woodworking at home that has led to the broadening of the power tool market? I think not.
There ceratinly seems to be an elitist attitude from many tradespeople when it comes to DIY. I understand that they have to make a buck out of their work, but I ask, has the recent housing/renovation/real estate boom put a single tradesperson out of work? I've seen some work from so called pro's in reno's that my brother (once a physiotherapist, who's now a full time property renovator and investor) and I have done, and I can ceratinly say that the attention to detail that we pay to the job and the care taken with the work is a great deal more than the tradies.
I'm not critising all trades people, we couldn't have done the job without those who helped us, and they certainly weren't upset to get our repeat business, however this attitude that the average Joe is a blithering idiot who wouldn't know one end of a screw driver from another is as insulting as it is obviously widespread.
On a final point, If many of those critising the show had actually watched it (or are you just too proud to admit that you did!) they would realise that a majority of the work was done by trades people (I'd say in the vicinity of $50k to $60k was spent on trades people between the four apartments, thats not a bad injection of cash into the local trades). Even further, week after week it was stated by the judge, real estate experct John McGrath, that the winning rooms had won because of the superior finish obtained by getting trades people to do the job!!!!
I'll admit i watched the show and I enjoyed it. Why would anyone who likes working with wood or tools in general complain about more DIY shows on TV? I'd love to get foxtel only to watch Mr Norm Abrams in his workshop. I might not like all the stuff he produces or agree with his preferred methods but I would certainly learn something by keeping an open mind.
And for those still lauhging at the "hapless" block renovators, just remember that they are the ones walking away with the $100k profits in their pockets, just as so many other "amateur" investors/renovators are doing all over Australia while the trades people who did work on their properties grumble about hourly rates and renovator hicks. So to those, CATCH UP!! Its a free country, go out and get yourself a run down property, fix it up (who else is in as good a position to do a reno as the tradespeople themselves) and enjoy the rewards.

Fully vented

Tim

PS. How did a thread that criticised a TV show for being voyeuristic become a thread about one women's "hooters" while being laced with sexual innuendo??

Zed
22nd August 2003, 12:40 PM
Hi,

if you watched the show you would know why hooters were bought up ! what a fine pair :-)

I do however agree with you with regards to the reno v's tradies... some of the posts on this board seem to be elitist dont they ?

DaveInOz
22nd August 2003, 01:52 PM
and now they're in trouble for ripping the idea off "Dream House"
*remember 2 houses reno'd - best gets to keep it