PDA

View Full Version : Slides for workbench tray

Unit_01
2nd June 2007, 03:11 PM
G'day all, just bought some slides for my workbench and wanna know if they'll do the trick for me tray. I got the slides from here: http://www.howardsilvers.com.au/catalogue.cgi?rm=products&subcategory_id=31

They are 450mm long which is the exact width of me tray and can carry a load of 25kg. i will probably tack them onto the frame and then just weld it on completely. The tray wont be that heavy so i think these slides should do but i aint too sure :(

SO if u guys could tell me if these slides will work with my tray it would be appreciated.

DJ’s Timber
2nd June 2007, 03:23 PM
Really can't say for sure without knowing all the details but would say they are up for it, as long as you don't over load them.

I wouldn't weld them on either, heat from welding could effect them and also if you wear them out they will be easier to replace if they're screwed on.

munruben
2nd June 2007, 04:08 PM
SO if u guys could tell me if these slides will work with my tray it would be appreciated.

Cant see why they wont do the job, I used similar ones to those on a filing cabinet I made and they have stood the test of time for about 7 years.

Grahame Collins
2nd June 2007, 08:27 PM
Unit,
Success may be based upon some variables.

It would depend on the material thickness of the tray.

I would have a practice on tacking similar thicknesses of material together,first.
- that is similar to slider thickness and the draw thickness first.

When you are practiced enough to do the job, make sure you remove the powder coating/ paint on the sliders especially if you will be using mig to weld. To do other wise is to risk porosity in your tack weld.

Grahame

Barry_White
2nd June 2007, 08:55 PM
They are the type they use on kitchen cupboard drawers. I have a set on a tray under a desk that takes the keyboard. I have a piece of 16mm melamine as the tray.

You will lose about 100mm of your tray width with the cantilever.

Like DJS says I would be using screws rather than welding.

Unit_01
3rd June 2007, 09:24 AM
thanks for the help people, i guess they should do the job. i was gonna weld it because the tray in only made out of 1.6mm-2.0mm sheet metal, so it be a bit hard to srew them on. if i lower the amps on the mog, would it be easier to eld it then? first i will tack though?
cheers

Al B
3rd June 2007, 09:57 AM
thanks for the help people, i guess they should do the job. i was gonna weld it because the tray in only made out of 1.6mm-2.0mm sheet metal, so it be a bit hard to srew them on. if i lower the amps on the mog, would it be easier to eld it then? first i will tack though?
cheers

Unit
I would use pop rivets.

As DJ said if you wear the drawer runners out they will be heaps easier to replace.

Barry_White
3rd June 2007, 10:10 AM
cheers

Rather than pop rivets I would use 3/16" gutter bolts x 1/2" long with a spring washer under them to fix the tray.

Unit_01
7th June 2007, 10:12 PM
cheers for the help people, now gotta get some ideas for me workbench, Me workbench is nearly done but i needa make some racks to hold screwdrivers and things on the back of the bench, like where a pegboard usually goes. Anyone got any ideas of what types of racks i should make and maybe some pics of what it looks like, any advice would be great
cheers Unit_01

GCP310
8th June 2007, 01:03 PM
i would use these, and bolted rather than pop rivited/welded

http://www.engnetglobal.com/images/companies/S/SUN021_1926.gif

we use them for files drawers, so they can take a fair bit of weight.

G

Unit_01
9th June 2007, 12:09 PM
i would use these, and bolted rather than pop rivited/welded

http://www.engnetglobal.com/images/companies/S/SUN021_1926.gif

we use them for files drawers, so they can take a fair bit of weight.

G

thanks for the reply G, yeah they look pretty neat mate, just where can i pick one of those up and what cost is the product?