PDA

View Full Version : Longer and stronger gouges and chisels

Kiwi Greg
11th August 2003, 11:13 PM
Has anyone heard of Longer and stronger brand of gouges and chisels.
Supposedly made in AUS

Cheers Greg

Chippy
12th August 2003, 12:49 AM
Hi Greg,

Prior to the introduction of High Speed Steel (HSS) for our chissels and gouges they were made of carbon steel, some still are, and were available in two weights or strengths, Standard and Long and Strong. It is a while since I saw them advertised; most of us are fully converted to HSS but I guess that is where the term eminates from. Not a make but a quality of carbon steel tools.

Regards,

David King

Kiwi Greg
12th August 2003, 06:51 AM
Thank for that. I have a guy who is selling some chisels and gouges that are HSS but he describes them as long and strong.

Does this make any sense?

GREG

Little Festo
12th August 2003, 11:16 AM
Hello Greg,

Robert sorby make some spindle gouges that they market as long and strong. I lifted some info below off the Mik International site.

http://www.mik.com.au/

I have included Mik's prices so you can see what they sell for new. If they are Robert Sorby tools they are of good quality.

Good turning - Peter

Robert Sorby Spindle Gouge Long Strong #841H 3/8“
___inc tax: $73.13
___ex tax:__$66.48
Size 3/8", Overall length 19"/Handle length 10"
Apart from the length of the blade, the tools are identical to the standard strength gouges. The increased length of the blades allows the turner a further reach into the workpiece.

Robert Sorby Spindle Gouge Long Strong #841H 1/2“
___inc tax: $86.40
___ex tax:__$78.55
Size 1/2", Overall length 21"/Handle length 12"
[COLOR=blue]

q9
12th August 2003, 06:08 PM
I was just about to say that, essentially the same as normal tools, but, err, longer...and sometimes a bit heavier to absorb vibration.