PDA

View Full Version : Dean ML build and wood ID

daftandhungry
3rd June 2007, 06:24 PM
Hi all.

I have recently started building my first guitar, a Dean ML.

As it is my first attempt I didn't want to buy expensive wood just in case I stuffed up and killed it so I went down to my local Bunnings to see what they had.

For about $35 i got some hardwood but they couldn't tell me what sort of wood it was, nor did they have it listed as anything but "hardwood". It is very heavy, but I don't know much about woods so I can't hazard any guesses.

Just wondering if anyone on here might have some idea what it is.

Haven't got much further than the pic of the body as it is, just neatened up a bit, but it is at work now until i get the time to get it on a sander there.

Thanks,

Scott.

old_picker
3rd June 2007, 08:17 PM
Vic ash is the wood a generic name for what they are pulling out of the bush at the moment....at least here in vic..... dunno what they calls it up there.....

hope it is well dry and don't twist or crack....
i would put it aside now for at least 6 months in a dry warm room and see if any movement occurs....go shopping for some nice wood in the meantime ....if you are gonna use ash look for that real light piece in the stack for the body an you might even find some cut on the 1/4 for ur neck
that one is gonna be a heavy guitar

AwDeOh
3rd June 2007, 08:41 PM
I was gonna say mahogany, but I'm no expert. The raw pieces have a pink tone like mahogany, similar to the stuff in my garage, and it hasn't got any real figure, but old_picker will be much more of an authority than me, and I doubt Bunnings is selling mahogany as unspecified "hardwood".

If you want my opinion, based on what you've done with that body, I reckon you'd be smarter to spend some money on some nice wood, and take things slowly. I think the dissappointment of screwing up (and possibly being able to salvage) a piece of work with nice wood, would pale in comparison to making an absolutely beautiful guitar out of some horrid wood. A beautiful looking, horrid sounding guitar... sucks. :D

daftandhungry
3rd June 2007, 09:06 PM
I definately agree on the good wood vs bad wood argument, but this is like a test run for me, i haven't done very much woodwork before so a dry run on cheap stuff suits me to get the idea of how to go about it.

I'm about to pick up a bit of silky oak for 12 bucks off ebay to have a go at making a top.

If all goes well i will be chasing up some better quality wood to make my proper one.

I work in the marine industry painting superyachts so i should be able to source some nice wood when it comes to that time

old_picker
3rd June 2007, 09:13 PM
Just following up awdeoh's comments...
ash is ok for bodies as long as you use real light stuff or hollow it out like a thinline
it will be like a boat anchor haniginig off your shoulder if its too heavy - no fun on a long gig
i notice what looks like some pretty serious tearout on the pic of the routed body
that might be enough to say ok i done some learnin now for some nice wood

if its reall heavy say over 6 -7 lb's i would toss it and get something a bit lighter i wouldnt use anything taht will go over around 4 - 5lb max

when you buy wood for bodies look through the pack, go to a place that supples furnture makers, a place that sells flooring and tell em what you want to do if you offer em some beer they might go outa there way to dig out some choice stuff for ya

better use that bod to prctice cutting yer neck pocket and pick up routs by then you will be ready to go

HiString
4th June 2007, 02:51 AM
If you're planning on putting a timber cap on that body, why not consider chambering it prior to capping it, this way you will reduce the weight to some degree and believe me, considering the overall length of an ML (actually, they're bloody lethal), the last thing you need is excessive weight.

:cool:

Paul B
4th June 2007, 09:58 AM
Looks like pacific maple to me. If you got it at bunnies, then that's probably what it is.

As to suitability as a guitar wood, well, there's some people who don't like it. I guess it has a dampening effect on the tone. Maybe if you bung on a drop cap it should turn out ok. I figure it should be ok for an electric - not really my area, I build steel string acoustics.

Although it's not considered very highly as a tone wood, I usually make my neck and tail blocks out of it on my acoustics, plus it's ok for kerfed linings if you're gentle with it. And it's cheap and easy to get.