PDA

View Full Version : Wot's yer ride?

Pages : [1] 2

Daddles
3rd June 2007, 06:29 PM
Okay, I don't know who to blame for this forum, but thank you and like most 'improvements' to this place, you'll probably regret it but, seeing it's here ...

Let's start by an 'I'll show you mine if you show me yours' thread :oo:

I'm greedy. I've got four bikes. Wongo doesn't think I need them and he's probably got a point but not many of us need Lie Nielson planes either (hope I spelt that right :doh:)

First in the fleet is my beloved Europa (attachment 1). Bought in the eighties. Served for many years as a six speed workhorse. Replaced last year by the Black Beast and was reborn as a fixed gear bike :D

The Black Beast (attachement 2) is my Trek520 - subtly modified with a higher stem, lower granny and other stuff. She's my 'work horse', 'Jack of all trades', 'keep me fit', 'keep me sane, 'break front teeth in dramatic falls' bike.

Third attachment is my horrible hybrid, the 'Sow's Ear', so called because you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear despite all the modifications this bike has suffered. She currently serves as prime mover for my daughter's tagalong :D

Then there's the mtb ... which I won't put a piccy of up because ... I just won't :B

You can read the articles about the modifications and genesis of these grids on the cycling pages of my website - http://www.users.bigpond.com/richardspurling/cycling.htm

So, wot's your ride?

Richard

felixe
3rd June 2007, 06:38 PM
Mine,
It's a "Slingshot" Brand mountain bike, Mt3 I think. :2tsup:
I have had it 14 years, and have broken the seat tube twice, gone thru 3 hinges, 2 springs and a cable before the beast struck back.:oo:
I have not ridden in 8 years :C (doctors orders) but I am thinking of a comeback:p !
It is in pieces, I had it re-sprayed candy red - just needs a new groupset and away I go!!!!!:no: :doh: :o

I will dust it off and add some piccies!

AlexS
3rd June 2007, 07:29 PM
Mine's a 20 year old Gemini World Randonneur, a touring bike with font & rear racks, that probably weights about twice as much as most bikes on the road now. 15 gears (1/2 step + granny), it used to take me to work every day and also did a couple of Brisbane - Sydney trips. These days I still get my exercise on it - pumping up the tyres!

Gumby
3rd June 2007, 07:43 PM
OMG, what's going on in this place. Cycling. hmmph. :rolleyes:

The way we're going they'll be a Joggers section next. :cool:

On ya bike you lot !

:cool:

Bad Woodworker
3rd June 2007, 08:01 PM
Here's my baby. It's a Trek Session77. Free ride.

bitingmidge
3rd June 2007, 08:11 PM
Bicycles!

How very.. well, last year really!

Pictured with the Eureka in the foreground so you'd know it wasn't a put up job! :wink:

Anyway this is a cycling forum, not a BIcycling one!

P (Don't tell 'em Wayne!)
:D :D :D

felixe
3rd June 2007, 08:15 PM
But what is the tennis ball and string for:? :oo:

bitingmidge
3rd June 2007, 08:36 PM
But what is the tennis ball and string for:? :oo:
If you have to ask, you'll never understand! :D :D :D

OK.

It's so my missus knows where to stop the car before it hits my machinery! When the windscreen hits the ball, the car is in far enough to close the garage door!

Cheers,

P

echnidna
3rd June 2007, 08:51 PM
still prefer me hilux, its got pedals

Grunt
3rd June 2007, 09:02 PM
My bike is a Rock Machine. It's a flat barred road bike. I wouldn't have bought one except it was half price at the time.

Not a bad little beast but I'm thinking of getting a carbon fibre jobby.

bitingmidge
3rd June 2007, 09:06 PM
Oh OK, I'm not going to part with my Giant hybrid either! Complete as it is, with touring rack and plastic lunchbox wired on to carry the mail home,

Cheers,
P
:D

felixe
3rd June 2007, 09:16 PM
I dunno grunt, when I was younger I rode a few carbon fibre mtb's and a few aluminium mtb's as well. :) My testing ground was the single track and fire trails around Mt Wellington Reserve in Hobart.
Carbon fibre and Aluminium are stiffer and lighter, but unless you are going full suspension Cro Mo is a nicer ride as it smooths out the bumps - even with front suspension.

Grunt
3rd June 2007, 09:27 PM
There isn't any suspension on a road bike. I've got an aluminium frame now. Carbon fibre will make the ride a tad more comfy and should last much longer.

Daddles
3rd June 2007, 10:02 PM
Steel is real - all four of my bikes are steel and I'm looking for a lightweight steel frame on which to base my fixie weapon :devilred: and the recumbent I'm planning to build from scratch will feature a steel frame as well.

Hey, I'm addicted :D ... still. You have to go to a lot of mucking about and travel to play boats (unless you are Midge of whom I am very jealous) and the ease of going for a bike ride is wonderful - besides, my tinkering on bikes seems to break fewer important things than my boat building :rolleyes:

BTW Midge, a monocycle is also in my future ... when I achieve a state of excess funds :cool:

Richard

Daddles
3rd June 2007, 10:03 PM
Here's my baby. It's a Trek Session77. Free ride.

Is that a downhill racer? Pretty wild looking bike.

Richard

Bad Woodworker
3rd June 2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, for down hill and jumping off cliffs and things.

Blocklayer
3rd June 2007, 10:23 PM
I still have the old Cannondale SM 1000 from 1992.
But thinking about upgrading to the blown V8.
And maybe even the Rolls Viper, although the fuel costs may be a factor :C

http://www.madv8bike.com

bitingmidge
3rd June 2007, 10:34 PM
There isn't any suspension on a road bike. I've got an aluminium frame now. Carbon fibre will make the ride a tad more comfy and should last much longer.
I think you're exactly wrong Grunt! :oo:

In theory, shouldn't carbon provide a stiffer frame, and therefore less comfy?

I know that my brother flicked his carbon Trek for a new Llewellyn custom frame and is rapt.

The Trek fork had to be thrown away as it had passed it's "use-by" date! :oo:

The alloy frame should last a lifetime I would have thought.

Cheers.

P

felixe
3rd June 2007, 10:36 PM
Attached is a photo of "my ride" although mine is red and in bits on the back deck:rolleyes: but you get the idea.

felixe
3rd June 2007, 10:37 PM
I agree with you Midge,

I rode a few carbon fibre bikes in the past and they can be as stiff as aluminium. As Daddles said "steel is real"

Glenn_M
3rd June 2007, 11:43 PM
Here are my two.

#1 is a custom I had built for me many many moons ago. It'a a bitza. Reynolds frame, cinelli bars, Durace stem, seat pole, Shimano 600 groupset with Sante cluster and Mavic rims.

Getting old now, but I will *NEVER* part with this bike. Is it possible to be buried with a bike? Fits me like a glove. I love riding this. Considered getting a set of STI shifters for it but could bring myself to do it.

#2 is the Norco Bushpilot. Relatively new to the bikeshed but far more "riding with the family friendly" which is important to me.

Runs in the family - see pic three, my 4yo has two bikes as well. This is his generic 12" 'trick' bike. He recently got his 16" Mongoose to race when we found a BMX club with an under 5 category. He's the 4th generation cyclist on my side of the family.

Cheers

Daddles
4th June 2007, 01:03 AM
There's something special about a bike that's been with you forever isn't there. Strange. Illogical. Bit like wimmen really :D

Richard

billbeee
4th June 2007, 05:44 AM
Hi all.
Mine's a common or garden Raleigh m800 mountain bike.
I'm proud to say it's got just over 5000 Klm on it now, after about 3 years.
Last year at age 64 I took up visiting some of the 4WD access only places in our local national parks.
Absolutely magic. See so much wildlife early mornings, before the Grey Nomads start appearing on the roads about 10am.
Camp anywhere.
Plus I see heaps of stuff around town that you just don't know about if you only drive a car.
I love it. Best $450 I've ever spent.
Regards
Bill.

silentC
4th June 2007, 10:19 AM
I bought a Giant Allegre for $800 in 1993. You could have any colour, as long as it was red. Shimano RX100 running gear, Wolber rims, Sakae bars. Was good value for money at the time. Don't know how many k's it has done but it has been through 3 computers and two pumps!

It's up on blocks at the minute because I snapped a spoke on the front wheel last Thursday. I hadn't been for a ride for weeks because I had given the rear wheel to the guy at the bike shop to respoke but he'd had an operation on his hand and couldn't replace any more than 3 or 4 spokes a day. I finally got around to picking up a loaner wheel from him on Thursday, so I went for a ride and about 500m down the road: 'ping'. :~

The other ride is an Avanti mountain bike. It used to carry me to work every day but doesn't get ridden much because it would take me longer to get it out of the shed than it does to walk to work.

Geoff Dean
4th June 2007, 08:43 PM

Why do you want the ride to last longer?:D

Geoff Dean
4th June 2007, 08:44 PM
If you have to ask, you'll never understand! :D :D :D

OK.

It's so my missus knows where to stop the car before it hits my machinery! When the windscreen hits the ball, the car is in far enough to close the garage door!

Cheers,

P

So.. its a car parking jig...shouldn't that be in another section?:D :D

corbs
9th June 2007, 05:14 PM
I have been through a few bikes, started off with bmx's before growing into my Centurion racer. I came off the Centurion at 75kmh and graduated to MTB (there wasnt enough of the racer left to ride). Started on a Norco hardtail and am now riding a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR comp 120. I love this bike and it rides well on and off the road. Have been thinking of getting back into Triathlon but I have to sort my finances before getting too far in front of myself.

I love this forum... everything I love in one spot... good on ya' Ubeaut

Corbs

Daddles
11th June 2007, 11:19 AM
Latest photo of the Europa - she's had a few changes of late. Some new wheels - 700c instead of 27" and razor blades rather than the old 1 1/4"s. Track hub on the back now rather than the suicide hub I was running. The hubs are good quality but the rims are a bit generic - I told the wheel builder what I was doing and he came up with the package for only $230 for both wheel :D Capped off with 28mm Detonators, she should be a good ride now.

The track hub lines up with the outer chainring on the old double set up, so I took the opportunity to lose the spare chainring. So here she is in pretty much her final configuration ... unless I decide to put some nice dual pivot brakes on her :doh:

Next job? Strip her down. Regrease all the bearings. Get rid of the various marks a bike collects over the years. Touch up the paint. Do something about the rust spots coming through the 'chrome' paint on the rear forks. A full tart up in other words. :2tsup:

Richard

theMISSIONARY
17th June 2007, 12:35 AM
my current bikes are one Giant ATX840 with the odd mod or two

and a suzuki DR650....i have to push tommorow to the petrol station:-

but i will buy more...i cannot help myself:U

Schtoo
19th June 2007, 01:39 AM
I have a bike, gets ridden often enough (not this last week though, that's another story), and there is one simple sentence that usually gets the message across.

Only the frame, seat and head set bearings are original...

I started with a 2003 Trek 4900 mountain bike, flat black since the red (or was it blue) looked iffy to me.

Replaced the drive train (Deore) with 2003 LX throughout, XT disc hubs on Rhynolite rims, and added Hayes mechanical disc brakes.

The brakes were garbage, and I switched the front for a Deore mechanical disc. Much better in the dry, a bit iffy in the wet.

After two years of riding it everywhere, I decided to give it a birthday, that and the rear derailleur/shifter wore out along with a few chains. Hint, change the chain often and you won't need to change cogs for quite a while.

The birthday bough it up to it's most recent spec, and when I get enough spare change scraped up, the final birthday will get it where I want it and it won't need any apologies.

Right now it is.

2003 Trek 4900 frame, original 'Aheadset'.
Fox Vanilla 125RLC fork.
Avid 185mm mechanical disc.
XT disc hub with a Rhynolite rim.
Salsa skewer and a nut that holds it's adjustment with a set screw in the end. Dunno what it's called.

Kore 120mm 0* stem.
Easton EA50 bar.
XT/LX shifters, Avid SD7 levers. XTR cables throughout.

XT outboard bearing crank with 26/36/48 cogs, LX derailleur.
Snafu platform pedal, cartridge bearings.
Thomson elite seatpost.
Bontrager saddle. (original, narrow, hard but it works for me?)
Salsa QR doohickey.

XT rear disc hub.
XTR medium length rear derailleur.
Ultegra 11-27 cassette.
XT chain. (after completely destroying a Sram PC99 chain, never ever again)
Avid 165mm mechanical disc.

I think that covers it.

The next birthday should cover a new frame (maybe, the old one is fine by me.) of some kind, a King headset, better hubs with decent rims (I made a set myself, then had to let them go due to lack of funds), a new front shifter/derailleur and if I can find one that fits, a new seat.

If that happens, then I will have a Trek 4900 that has no original components. Pretty good, if expensive trick.

If anyone is wondering, the good gear is most certainly worth it. A 20 km ride used to be a case of grin and bear it, now it's just a shrug of the shoulders and off I go. Much easier to pedal, much nicer to ride, less fatiguing and safer all at the same time. :2tsup:

Daddles
19th June 2007, 12:46 PM
Bit like Grandad's axe eh Schtoo? :D

Richard

Schtoo
21st June 2007, 01:59 AM
Something like that, just a tad more complicated. :D

weisyboy
1st July 2007, 07:16 PM
Apollo Ascension (probably spelt wrong) mountain bike for trail riding.

journeyman Mick
2nd July 2007, 12:09 AM
Here's my current ride, the only one I've got left now. It's a Miyata Valley Runner (mountain bike) bought it off a mate over 16 years ago and he bought it 2nd hand. I reckon it must be about 20 years old. It's a lugged frame and has triple butted, splined tubing. I wore out the gear cluster (originally 5 speed) and rode it for a few years with a 6 speed cluster and a 5 speed shifter:doh: . Been running it with slicks for a few years now as a road bike. Cannabalised some grip shifts off another bike so now it has a 6 speed shifter. Been riding it quite regularly and finding that my wrists are copping real hammering so I've decided that I might buy myself a new one, something with front shocks. Also I just realised I've never had a new bike in my life, always rode hand me downs as a kid and bought 2nd handers. Stay tuned for my new ride in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

Mick

Schtoo
2nd July 2007, 03:59 AM
Make sure you find a shop that will take the time to find out what sizes you will need. Not just the frame, bar, stem, seat, seat post, cranks, etc, etc.

Just not worth going to the effort to buy a new bike, ride it regularly and find out it's a PITA (I mean that) to ride.

Part of the reason why my bike has so many replacement parts was making the bike as a unit fit me. I haven't been riding much of late, but when I get a few good rides on it to get me to fit it again, I know I can put in 5km or 5,000km without doing any permanent injury to myself for the sake of a $10 part.

journeyman Mick
3rd August 2007, 01:26 AM
Well I splashed out the other day and got myself my first ever new bike. It's an Avanti, aluminium frame, hardtail, front forks (adjustable) with 100mm travel, rapidfire shifters, hydraulic disc brakes.

I got them to swap the stem for a longer one and the seatpost for a much longer one, no charge. The seat is very comfortable, most comfortable one I've ever ridden on actually. The bar seems fine, possibly a bit wider than what I'm used to, I may cut it down in a month or so if I decide I prefer it narrower. Cranks are fine but I had some SPD pedal fitted and they credited me $20 bucks for the existing pedals so the SPDs only cost me $59. I don't have any money at the moment for shoes for the SPDs :rolleyes: so I'll probably pinch the pedals off my other bike until I buy some shoes. My feet rock around on top of the clips and I'm really not used to not being able to apply force on the upstroke.

Only had one short ride into the village yesterday (about 12kms return) so far but it was great. The shocks, even though they're close to locked out, mean my wrists don't cop a hiding on the rough road. The disc brakes are unbelievably good and very smooth and progressive compared to the old cantilever and V-brakes that I'm used to.

The only thing (so far, anyway) I don't like is the colour, yecch! It's a non-descipt, slightly metallic, beigy gold colour of the type they paint camrys and commodores in. That and the stickers all over it, I've started peeling them off. I may even end up spraying it wrinkle finish black.

Mick

Grunt
3rd August 2007, 10:30 AM
Not a bad lookin' beast ya got there Mick.

Daddles
6th August 2007, 12:03 PM
Nice one Mick, you should have a lot of fun with her. :D

I've just bought a Brooks B17 saddle for the Black Beast - I start breaking it in today :; and am hoping it's one of the 'perfect out of the box' Brooks, not one of the 'thousand mile' jobs :C

Richard

nic_787
7th August 2007, 10:59 PM
I hit the streets on an '06 STP zero...single speed with a holy roller and a bling bling...she alse runs a new BB cause i rooted the external thread on the other one

cheers

TomH
12th August 2007, 09:51 AM
Trek 7.5fx. Nice bike - good for commuting, which I am trying to do once / week. It's 25km along bike paths in Sydney, so takes over an hour. Only problem I have with it is maybe I need handlebar extenders. I am 6 ft 6 and riding a 23" frame.

Richard - you must get around a few forums - noticed the photos of the 520 were very similar to a user called europa on the cycling forum!

Cheers,

Tom

Daddles
13th August 2007, 06:43 PM
Richard - you must get around a few forums - noticed the photos of the 520 were very similar to a user called europa on the cycling forum!

Yup, that'd be me. It's why I haven't had much to post in the boat building forum here these last 12 months :B

Richard

RGM
16th September 2007, 06:51 PM
Awesome...a bikes forum!

I have gone through a few, the latest was a 07 Giant Glory, though it was sold soon after, it was really an unnecessary purchase. I also didn't really need two downhill bikes, as i also had an 04 bighit at the time and i rode it more than the glory, too scared i would hurt it :(

Now i have nothing...

But I'm building a new downhill beast soon, as soon as i can justify the funds for the frame and forks...some deemax's wouldn't go astray either..

theMISSIONARY
16th September 2007, 09:05 PM
my ATX840 with the odd mod or two

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/theMISSIONARY_257/Picture027.jpg

and my current project a Raleigh:;

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/theMISSIONARY_257/Picture028.jpg

Daddles
17th September 2007, 11:41 PM
Not wishing to be picky, but most people find that a set of forks and some handlebars do wonders for your steering :cool:

Richard

theMISSIONARY
18th September 2007, 12:55 AM
:B thats why its a current project:U

PS you may note that the Giant has no cluster

wheelinround
27th September 2007, 03:49 PM
Ok special for those who like bikes n woodwork http://www.diewerkler.de/english/?page_id=10

pawnhead
3rd October 2007, 03:44 PM
Well someone grabbed my old ride (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/holgerdanske/Mar01710.jpg) from the garage, and decided that it would be a good idea to jump up and down on it. They bent everything that could possibly be bent. I won’t complain too much since I found it on the throw outs, and it only cost me a couple of inner tubes, but it was my only form of transport, so I headed down to Targé, and for the princely sum of $99, I came home with this:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/holgerdanske/Rosconewbike.jpg

A few dollars more bought me an LED headlight and tail light, a trip computer (the only thing that I can get to work is the clock :? ), a telescopic pump, and a nifty rear view mirror so I can see how far back Rosco is when I’m trundling down a hill at light speed. ;)

wheelinround
3rd October 2007, 03:51 PM
Well someone grabbed my old ride (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/holgerdanske/Mar01710.jpg) from the garage, and decided that it would be a good idea to jump up and down on it. They bent everything that could possibly be bent. I won’t complain too much since I found it on the throw outs, and it only cost me a couple of inner tubes, but it was my only form of transport, so I headed down to Targé, and for the princely sum of $99, I came home with this:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/holgerdanske/Rosconewbike.jpg

A few dollars more bought me an LED headlight and tail light, a trip computer (the only thing that I can get to work is the clock :? ), a telescopic pump, and a nifty rear view mirror so I can see how far back Rosco is when I’m trundling down a hill at light speed. ;)

Now PH that not how your dog will stay fit n healthy I know he's got short legs but gee put something in the botom of the basket so he is comfortable at least

Nice ride must admit

Eli
9th October 2007, 11:42 PM
http://bp2.blogger.com/_daYtE14aULw/RhsVKuBTkQI/AAAAAAAAABw/iQUA-wqicZc/s1600-h/IMG_0351.jpghttp://bp2.blogger.com/_daYtE14aULw/RhsVKuBTkQI/AAAAAAAAABw/iQUA-wqicZc/s1600-h/IMG_0351.jpgI've got a 2007 Electra Townie 24 (http://bp2.blogger.com/_daYtE14aULw/RhsVKuBTkQI/AAAAAAAAABw/iQUA-wqicZc/s1600-h/IMG_0351.jpg), with xtracycle (http://www.xtracycle.com/) hitchless trailer attached (the saddlebag thingy on the back). I'm pretty sure I've got the only 24 speed human powered blender in Australia. That's a raspberry smoothie.

boatchippy
16th October 2007, 12:30 AM
Ah... A bike riding section in the woodwork forums.

This is cool, because when I'm not torturing timber, I one of these loonies who get a perverse enjoyment out of torturing myself on a bike.
I race road bikes and triathalon.

My roadbike is a learsport 8500 (which is the carba tec of the bike world), which has 10 speed ultegra components (scm of the bike world).

I need a new bandsaw, (for business) and I'd like a new bike, so I'm trying to choose between a felder 600 or a new racing bike. Both are around the same price.

I do between 250 and 500km a week training, usually including 100 - 160 km ride on Sundays. with races running weekly during season and some larger open stage and 1 day races.

Cheers

Jerryj
17th October 2007, 11:37 PM
Have had bikes all my life but have just recently bought a Giant crx4, now I'm doing much more riding. Great fun and fitness!

Daddles
20th October 2007, 12:47 PM
Here's my new ride. Yup, that's the condition she's in - hasn't arrived from the states yet. $215 delivered to my door :D

2002 Jamis Ventura
All Reynolds 520 steel.
Unbuilt ie, brand new frame but old stock.

She looks a bit big but she's the same size as my Europa which fits me beautifully.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/bitsa/DSCF0127.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/bitsa/DSCF0131.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/bitsa/DSCF0130.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/bitsa/DSCF0129.jpg

I'll be building her up as a 'gentleman's sportster'.

Skinny wheels with 28mm tyres. Probably Velocity Fusion or Deep V rims - I'm going to build the wheels myself.

Triple crankset - none of this compact nonsense (I've looked at the gear charts for the wide spread I'm after and compact isn't efficient)

I'm hoping for Ultegra 9 speed but it'll depend on what I can find and what it costs - a new groupset is out of the question because you can only buy 10 speed, double chainring jobs (not to mention cost though the internet has some bargains).
Campy and SRAM are out because I want a triple ... and I don't like the Campy clicking - riding fixed gear has taught me to love silent running :wink:

She'll get my 46cm Nitto Noodle bars, easily the most comfy bars I've owned, and my now nicely broken in Brooks B17. :D

Anyone want to buy a 2007 Trek520? Seriously, it's for sale - 23" frame, 2,500km on the clock.

Richard

Daddles
31st October 2007, 09:35 AM
The Jamis is here :D

I've a build thread running on a cycling forum - Jamis Build Thread (http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3407)

Just guessing there's not the interest to run a similar thread here, though I'm happy to if you lot want me to (or the poor, over worked moderators want me to **waves hand**).

Basically, I'm building a set of Velocity DeepV wheels for her, then swiping all the bits off the Trek520 that'll fit (the wheels won't because the DeoreLX hubs on the Trek520 are wider than road hubs). I'll basically wind up with an Ultegra level Gentleman's Sportster and if I can flog off the wheels and frame from the Trek for what they're worth, it may not cost me anything :D ... well, not a lot (in cycling, like woodworking, the terms are interchangeable :roll:)

Richard

felixe
12th November 2007, 12:18 AM

Hi,
Here I am and I have back with me my new (old) mountain bike, have not been out in the hills yet. Once study is completed, work dies down and I get some new cycling shoes I will be out there!

Hey Daddles, I saw the truing stand on the other forum, did you buy it from chain reaction? How is it? what did you pay including freight?
More quesitons? I am looking at purchasing another frame from the USA, can you pm me with the lowdown on your shipping?

Felixe.

pawnhead
12th November 2007, 10:12 AM
That's an unusual looking frame, and seat pole. Is that frame hinged under the seat there, and does that seat pole provide suspensioin?
I don't know that much about pushys, except that you can get them cheap at Targé.

That one looks pretty hi-tech though. :2tsup:

felixe
13th November 2007, 12:09 AM
Pawnhead:
Yes:wink:but infront of the seat tube, not behind - 3m scotchply.
Yes again.
I know but....:no::oo:

and Yes.:2tsup:

pawnhead
14th November 2007, 05:49 PM
I know but....:no::oo:Well I've always been a bit of a penny pincher. :U

I got a new ride for my old lady today, and it's a beauty.
Heaps better than the old heavy bomb that refused to fold up, and had two flat tyres . :((

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/holgerdanske/th_PA.jpg (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/holgerdanske/PA.jpg) http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/holgerdanske/th_P.jpg (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/holgerdanske/P.jpg)

It's lightweight, it's got a good top speed down hills, handles like a dream, and it folds up nice and compact so we're not restricted to disabled buses any more. Some big bike wheels on the back would be better for getting down off buses, but as I've said, I'm a bit of a penny pincher. :p
It still cost more than three times as much as my pushy (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=598673&postcount=47) though. :doh:

Unfortunately I've still got to use the same old worn out engine. :sweat:

Daddles
15th November 2007, 01:01 AM
That's a bizarre frame Felixe. Is the downtube a cable? How does it go?

Richard

felixe
17th November 2007, 12:04 AM
'Tis just a bike from this company in the USA, www.slingshotbikes.com.au (http://www.slingshotbikes.com.au)

Yes it is a cable, it is pinned to the bottom bracket and is attached to a spring near the head tube. The top tube flexes near the seat tube as it is in 2 pieces and joined by a piece of 3M Scotchply. Makes for a nice ride.
The forks are coil and elastomer. It has just been rebuilt.:2tsup:

prozac
17th November 2007, 05:19 PM
R1200gs

pawnhead
17th November 2007, 09:11 PM
'Tis just a bike from this company in the USA, www.slingshotbikes.com (http://www.slingshotbikes.com)Looks like they don't have an Australian branch so I took the .au off the end and it works. Interesting looking bike.:2tsup:
I'd imagine it would be a bit flexy if you picked it up by the seat. The cable would just bend and it would start to fold.
Does the cable stretch to provide suspension?

R1200gsA plumber mate of mine has got one of those. He's had it worked over so it's apparently really quick.
Looks a bit like this;

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/holgerdanske/th_R1200gs-1.jpg (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/holgerdanske/R1200gs-1.jpg)

The front half does anyway. :U

felixe
18th November 2007, 11:49 AM
:no:Not much flex if you pick it up by the seat as the scotch ply has minimal flex, scotch ply has many industrial applications including use in railroad tracks so it is strong.
So minimal flexing and no folding, except once the hinge snaps and then it flops around like a dead fish - this has happened once only:oo:
It is not the cable stretching which gives suspension as the cable is stainless steel and swage (correct spelling) rolled, the same application is used for yachts.
How the suspension works is that the hinge flexes which causes the cable to compress or release the coil spring located below the head tube.
The front forks have 100mm of travel.

Nice R1200gs:doh:

prozac
19th November 2007, 12:54 PM
A plumber mate of mine has got one of those. He's had it worked over so it's apparently really quick.
Looks a bit like this;

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/holgerdanske/th_R1200gs-1.jpg (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/holgerdanske/R1200gs-1.jpg)

The front half does anyway. :U

He must be saving-up for the rest?

Daddles
23rd November 2007, 11:12 AM
She's finished :D

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/bitsa/jamis07.jpg

For those interested in digging through a lot of bumph, I ran a build thread about her over on my cycling forum - Jamis Build Thread (http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3407)

Basically, I bought the Jamis frame, brand new and unbuilt, but a 2002 model, over ebay from a bloke in the USA. I bought a pair of new Ultegra hubs and new Velocity DeepV rims and built the wheels myself, then raided the Trek520 for the rest of the bits.

Jamis Ventura all steel frame - Reynolds520 butted tubing.
Ultegra shifters
Ultegra crankset - 52, 40, 26 chainrings
105 front derailleur
DeoreLX rear derailleur
SRAM 11-32 rear cassette
Ultegra hubs
Velocity DeepV rims
Nitto Noodle 46cm bars
Shimano600 dual pivot brakes front and rear
Maxiss Detonator 28mm tyres
Brooks B17 saddle, nicely broken in from her previous home on the Trek

And a lot of bits and pieces - still some to be finalised, like those silver spacers on the headstem.

You'll note she's of 'traditional' styling and sizing. The lads at Rivendell would have been impressed (especially with the build cost, only a little more than the postage for one of their frames to me)

Yes, the nose of the saddle does seem to need to be that high. Mind you, she's still wearing a cheap seat post and that is a nightmare to set. When I get the good one, I hope to be able to make finer movements and lower the nose a bit, though not much as that leads to sliding forwards off the seat. Surprisingly, that amount of nose up is quite comfortable - common with the Brooks leather saddles. The seat could also lift a little, but again, I'll fuss with that when I get the good seat post (and fussing is all that's needed).

But how does she ride?
Beautifully http://bikeforums.net/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I did the school run with my son and his cobber yesterday (first real ride), then continued on to Glenelg ie, down the Expressway, across to the beach, along the beach front, back up the Sturt River Linear Park, back up the Expressway and home. 46km http://bikeforums.net/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

She's a lovely ride. Smooth. Secure. Stable but with a very fast change of direction. Seems to be rather fast too ... in an upright stance sort of way.

The brakes are so good they're bloody frightening - three lockups on the rear today and that's from someone used to moderating his brakes. Yes, I backed them off as soon as I got home.

The wheels chatted and discussed life for the first km or so, then were dead silent from then on. This thing is a real stealth bomber. The front wheel had developed a slight wiggle when the tyres went up to full pressure but a few kms on the road removed that (obviously the tyre) - the mould release feather in the centre of the wheel spins dead true. First retrue is scheduled for a couple of hundred km down the track unless I find a reason to do so before then (was half expecting to have to do it after the first ride).

Climb? It's like a cat up a tree. Higher gears used all round. I did consider lifting the low granny to 30 teeth, but it doesn't hurt to have it there and while loafing up Expressway Hill (a 140m climb in 3 km) with my HR in the mid to low 150's, I thought to myself - 'climbing hills doesn't have to be hard, why make it so?'

Along the beach front. Dead flat. Wind on my shoulder so probably some assistance there. I was cruising with my hands on the tops. Heart rate in the mid 130s. Cadence in the low to mid 80's. 43km/hr on the speedo.

Comfort wise? Pretty darned good ... once I got the Brooks at the right angle. No problems at all in my left hand. My right hand (which has a diccy shoulder) went numb at one point but no-where near as bad as life on the Trek520 which used to send both hands numb after 10km. Excellent set up methinks with some fine tuning to come. She rides the rough really well too - a very comfy bike.

One of the joys of a high top tube is waiting at the lights, one foot on the ground, other foot clipped in, thigh leaning on the top tube - very relaxing.

Thanks to a blustery head wind at times (in all directions dammit), I spent a lot of time down on the drops. No problems there - it isn't my preferred position but I can ride them comfortably for wind cheating aerodynamics.

All in all, a very promising shake down. The project has delivered all I asked it to http://bikeforums.net/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Coming home, the mind kept saying "let's go further, let's go further" ... and the body kept grumbling "sod off and try doing some of the hard work for a change" http://bikeforums.net/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Richard

Carry Pine
8th February 2008, 09:01 PM
I'm happy to heep this post alive.
I bought a Peugeot road bike in 1976 for $100 and have ridden it ever since. My nephew rode it twice Sydney to Canberra with his school.
Recently SWMBO picked up a Hybrid for Christmas and the Peugeot has been getting a real work out. Too much of a workout. The plastic components and the alloy is breaking down to the point that the brakes are no longer adjustable and it only runs in one crank gear.

Well that's my justification for buying a new GT (brand) flat bar road bike. SWMBO wants to know who stole the side stand but it's a few Ks lighter than the Peugeot and it feels marvellous.

CP

clare
26th May 2008, 08:47 PM
Some great bikes on here. Here's mine!

The 'Shopping Trolley' for around town and wet weather rides, and 'The Whippet' for sheer speed, adrenalin and connection wtih the environment. :wink: Fun!

Building a dash
12th June 2008, 11:40 PM
got a Viventte Novara (flat-bar roadbike) at the beginning of the year and i love it :)

theMISSIONARY
21st August 2008, 06:32 PM
well i finally got my Raleigh into a rideable state :o and here it is in one piece:U

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/theMISSIONARY_257/Cycles/Picture077.jpg

sinjin
15th September 2008, 12:51 PM
PBR all carbon road bike, SRAM force gears.
Sinjin.

Sam
11th December 2008, 01:20 PM
My single speed conversion -

Old MTB - $800 years and years ago
Single speed cog and spacers - $30 at local bike shop
A couple of beers in the garage - $10
Not needing a chain tensioner - PRICELESS

ficfac
18th January 2009, 01:17 AM
Hey Richard, your Europa looks a million bucks! I have a nice steel repco monaco that I'm contemplating turning into a single speed.

Carry Pine
6th February 2009, 10:50 PM
One year on from buying a flat bar road bike (which will now become a wide-tyred weekend bike) we now have a dedicated road bike.
Bianchi, alloy frame with Chorus gear and Zonda wheels.
Very happy after the ride home. Seemed to go up the hills by itself.

From the colours, can you guess which team will win the AFL flag this year?

Graham

ficfac
7th February 2009, 07:46 PM
looks tasty! I have aquired a GT roadie with Tiagra gear and carbon forks. It too seems to do the work by itself:) I'm at Sturt full time this year so maybe I'll see ya flying by!

Carry Pine
7th February 2009, 09:51 PM
looks tasty! I have aquired a GT roadie with Tiagra gear and carbon forks. It too seems to do the work by itself:) I'm at Sturt full time this year so maybe I'll see ya flying by!

Lucky boy to be doing Sturt. One member's wife paid for him- is that you? Give me a call (nearly said bell) when you start and i'll drop in to check your progress!!!!!!!

Graham

ficfac
8th February 2009, 08:34 PM
Graham, tomorrow begins the third week! Look forward to meeting you.:) Cheers, Josh. ps: My wife is supporting us this year so it could be me :-

I_wanna_Shed
8th February 2009, 10:47 PM
One year on from buying a flat bar road bike (which will now become a wide-tyred weekend bike) we now have a dedicated road bike.
Bianchi, alloy frame with Chorus gear and Zonda wheels.
Very happy after the ride home. Seemed to go up the hills by itself.

From the colours, can you guess which team will win the AFL flag this year?

Graham

Nice Italian bike there Graham. What does it weigh all up?

P.S. AFL? Never heard of it. :U

Carry Pine
13th February 2009, 06:17 PM
[quote=I_wanna_Shed;893704]Nice Italian bike there Graham. What does it weigh all up?

With or without the powerhouse direct drive?

Graham

I_wanna_Shed
14th February 2009, 10:19 AM
[quote=I_wanna_Shed;893704]Nice Italian bike there Graham. What does it weigh all up?

With or without the powerhouse direct drive?

Graham

Without. Does a lighter bike (less mass) affect your downhill speeds?

Carry Pine
14th February 2009, 02:16 PM
I don't think it matters re size going downhill. Rode the 4WD (wife's bike) down to the bike shop and was doing almost 60 down a not-so-steep hill. The wide, knobbly tyres would have been slowing me down but the tank-like frame probably made it go faster.
Perhaps someone more experienced could comment.

Graham

Carry Pine
14th February 2009, 05:47 PM

The answer within a few grams is 9.54kg - includes pedals,lights,speedo but not water bottle carrier yet.

gp

kiwigeo
14th April 2009, 01:52 PM
Just got myself a Scott Scale 35 MTB.....stuck tubeless tyres on the thing and do a few other mods. Still getting used to the CF frame but getting to like it.

Horsecroft88
6th May 2009, 02:51 PM
Mine is a custom made English road bike. EW Evans (of London) of I think 1970s vintage, with Reynolds 531 tubing, campagnolo hubs, shimano gears (12-14sp ?) can't remember off hand the tooth sets, weineman brakes (centre pull), Fiam alloy handles, Italia headset, Campagnolo cleats, and a Japanese seat post (can't recall the brand as it replaced the original). The frame is black, the bike is well used but loved. The gears, the brakes and the rims these days are extremely average but its not worth replacing, I think. I would post a pic but I can't seem to shrink my pics to a size suitable for this forum.

The bike took me around the South Island of NZ back in '93 and numerous long distance tours here in Tassie (via Bicycle Victoria). I have also used it for normal road touring around the city and surrounding countryside since I bought it back in '87. I won't sell it (sentimental value now) but a newer bike at times would be nice. Dave

thebicyclist
30th June 2009, 08:19 PM
Here's my bike hauling 40kg of scrap from my bike shop to the metal recyclers.

The second set of handle bars are for dinky my partner when we go out on a romantic dinner :roll:

theMISSIONARY
30th June 2009, 09:49 PM
Ah a big dummy.......umm.......err the bike that is:2tsup:

Foo
31st July 2009, 03:29 PM
Hi all,
Only new to this forum,but i still have my old race bikes.My road bike is a Rapello with 019 chromoly tubing,sugino cranks,cenelli bars,the wheels are superb low flange hubs with ss double butted spokes,and mavic gold single rims.My track bike is a Hoffy made by Eric Hendren,with 017 c/molly tubing,galea crank set.Both of these bikes were made back in 1978,road frame $275 track $185,bit differnt now.:oo:

witch1
31st July 2009, 06:37 PM
I don't think it matters re size going downhill. Rode the 4WD (wife's bike) down to the bike shop and was doing almost 60 down a not-so-steep hill. The wide, knobbly tyres would have been slowing me down but the tank-like frame probably made it go faster.
Perhaps someone more experienced could comment.

Graham
the weight of the bike has a slight influence on descending speed but the main thing if you want to achieve max speed on downhill runs is to minimise your aerodynamic profile so as to provide as little disturbance in the ambient atmosphere as possible.
witch1

trikee
2nd August 2009, 10:17 PM
mines a giant atx860. bout 10 years old now, but has served well and taken a punishment.
i upgraded from the vee brakes to cables discs and upgraded the front springs cos i like it a little stiffer.
i think it needs a new crankset but other than that it is going great guns

theMISSIONARY
2nd August 2009, 11:49 PM
mines a giant atx860. bout 10 years old now, but has served well and taken a punishment.
i upgraded from the vee brakes to cables discs and upgraded the front springs cos i like it a little stiffer.
i think it needs a new crankset but other than that it is going great guns
:D I still have mine out in the shed ive been thinking of putting her all back together :wink:

trikee
3rd August 2009, 07:22 PM
nice one

rhancock
3rd August 2009, 10:39 PM
I bought a Giant CRX 4 last year to commute 5km to work and its going fabulously. Although its developed a strange noise tonight.

Love the ExtraCycle - I want one of those! I've got a trailer for the two big kids though.

Slow6
15th August 2009, 08:19 PM
We have a cycling forum:? I wore out two mouse wheels just to get here.

Great looking old bike Felixe:2tsup:

I have recently jumped back in the saddle.. The last time I rode was one of the mid 90's great vic rides on a Giant mountain bike.
I found this old girl on ebay localy and took a punt.. for $150 what could I lose?

Turns out she's a gem.. 1995 Proflex 455. The rear elastomers were mia (easy fix) and the tires were shot.

Here she is the day after I bought her home.

Here she is a few days later with new shoes.

It's a little small for me but not an uncomfortable ride and loml loves it so it can be the shebike when I find something more my size.
It's surprisingly light and quick.

Apparently the 90's are retro already :shrug: not that I'm complaining.. the 90's mtb's were great:2tsup:

I_wanna_Shed
15th August 2009, 11:24 PM
As of today I have a 2010 Giant Defy 1 :D

After spending nearly 4 hours at the local bike shop I had to come straight home, put the bike in its own bedroom (the wife just doesn't understand...) and head off to a friend's lunch. :(( So the christening ride will be tomorrow.

I've had a mountain bike with skinny tires up until now, so I will have to get used to the bent-over riding position (haven't riden a road bike for 15 years or so), and the SPD shoes with cleats should only take a small time to get used to.

Tomorrow..... my bum will be sore.

Nathan.

Carry Pine
18th August 2009, 03:32 PM
As of today I have a 2010 Giant Defy 1 :D

and the SPD shoes with cleats should only take a small time to get used to.

Nathan.

Be aware: you are alloted 3 falls from a stationary position after realising you are in cleats. After that they call you 'old'.

Will meet up on the road some time Nathan.

Graham

I_wanna_Shed
18th August 2009, 03:56 PM
Be aware: you are alloted 3 falls from a stationary position after realising you are in cleats. After that they call you 'old'.

Will meet up on the road some time Nathan.

Graham

Definately will go for a ride once I bring my fitness up! I did 20km on Sunday (my first ride since a 60km stint at Christmas) and I was stuffed. My neighbours frequent from home to Mittagong and back so my aim is to get to that level soon.

I'll have to strap a milk crate onto the fron so I can bring down some timber for you.

Nathan.

Carry Pine
18th August 2009, 11:45 PM
Nathan,

You won't be coming 'down' to see me- and you will find that out. The ride from Bowral to picton (old hwy) is quite pleasant and each time my average speed has been better. But have not tried the round trip or doing it Picton to bowral.
If you ever do the big ride you can come to 'church' with me. That's the McGee's cycling store! Well you need to go there each week to get recharged and their collection plate works well (for them).
A friend at work has done up an old bike and it looks just beautiful. It's orange but it's not a triton.
i looked up your bike on the net and those tyres (Vittoria Zaffiro) are quite good. I upgraded mine to Continentals but the rubbish on the roads cuts the rear one to shreds. It's got nothing to do with the 90kg that sits on that wheel though.
Once you get used to it, you will probably go for thinner tyres. It's amazing how much friction there is on the road.
If you have a set ride, perhaps 15kms or so, time yourself and see how you improve over time. You will be amazed. Hope you got some lights. The flashing one on the front is great and the long one at the back that can not only flash but have lights going up and down is good too. usually your bike seller will give you a discount because you bought the bike there. If not get your stuff on the net.
Bet you can't guess what my latest obsession is?
Anyway, hope to see you some time,

Graham

aalstin
19th October 2009, 09:59 PM
Fabulous, just bloody fabulous. I have two passions, wood working and cycling. I am amazed to find a cycling section in the forum, thank you to the forum gods.

Over the years I have amassed a great collection of tools. I have spent my hard earned, on the best...no kids...no wife..(she left and I miss her)...just me, the tools and the bikes. So I have a few...bikes that is and a damn lot of tools.

But hell, I live in Western Vic (red gum country), flat, very pretty, horrid winds sometimes, 85 km to the coast, 80 to the mountains, 120 to SA, a cyclists paradise. Pop down to Port Fairy for a swim and lunch, and pedal like hell to get home.

Sadly I'm not as young as I used to be...I bought a power feeder... but also turned all my bikes into flat bars. Two pics of my favourites, both running Ultegra SL, full road bikes altered to be just a bit more comfortable, both carbon bikes. I hope you approve.

One is a Specialized S Works Roubaix, the other, Melbourne Bikes does a full carbon road bike , well specked, this is it, a pleasure to ride.

There you have it. Visitors always welcome, for a cycle or time in the workshop, feel free to call. AA 0419348083

Foo
21st October 2009, 05:20 PM
hi aastin,
Nice couple of bikes! How have you found the carbon fibre frame to ride on the road,as I am led to believe they are softer,as far as shock goes?:bike3:

aalstin
21st October 2009, 05:46 PM
I love the full carbon frame, very light, incredibly responsive but one needs to be more careful. A crash on a carbon can write the bike off, whereas that might only bend an alloy bike.

The Roubaix has things called zerts inserts in the frame and seat post, they certainly make for a smoother ride. Both bikes are great fun, I prefer the Specialized but only by a small margin.
If you look at retail values of the respective bikes, I couldn't say that the Specialized was 4 times better than the R1 but like wood working tools you do tend to get what you pay for and often the more expensive tools or bikes are so because they are better.

If you've never ridden a carbon bike, do yourself a favour and have a go, any good bike shop should let you have a trial. Go see Tony at Mebourne Bikes in High St Prahran, he'll let you try one. Happy cycling, cheers AA

Carry Pine
22nd October 2009, 08:15 PM
aalstin,

I'm amazed you swapped the bars over. I bought a flat bar roadie about 2 years ago and all i got was mega vibrations and numbness in the fingers. The drop bars (another purchase) solved that but even on a social ride with my wife- the tingling comes back (in the hands). Bought the gel gloves and everything- didn't stop it.

Couldn't see any celeste colouring on either bike! (Bit of a Bianchi freak too)

Graham

Foo
22nd October 2009, 08:54 PM
Hi Grahame,
I noticed that you said you had tingling in your hands.The mits you bought,did they have the cushion in the area opposite the thumb,right near the outer part of your palm,because that is the area that needs the cushioning?:)