PDA

View Full Version : 52cc e-bay chainsaw

cyco
4th June 2007, 01:45 AM
hi i'm just wondering if anyboby has bought or used one of the 52cc e-bay chainsaws on their mills as yet? if so how did it go!
i'm only milling small stuff but using my dads old stihl 07s just isn't working out as it's big, it's heavy has no chain break and has a kick back as you start it that near rips your arm off.
have a tight budget so a new brand name is out of the question and having trouble finding a half decent second hand one, been looking on e-bay, trading post, clearing sales and locals that i no in the logging industry.

thanks

simon

BobL
4th June 2007, 02:01 AM
hi i'm just wondering if anyboby has bought or used one of the 52cc e-bay chainsaws on their mills as yet? if so how did it go!
i'm only milling small stuff but using my dads old stihl 07s just isn't working out as it's big, it's heavy has no chain break and has a kick back as you start it that near rips your arm off.
have a tight budget so a new brand name is out of the question and having trouble finding a half decent second hand one, been looking on e-bay, trading post, clearing sales and locals that i no in the logging industry.

thanks

simon

Simon, I can't comment personally on these saws but some folks over on ArboristeSite.com have been reckoning they are a good example of getting what you pay for. The main problem is quality control, some will last OK but others will need to be taken back to the store - er ebay, er . . . . . who did you buy it from again? You'd be better of buying a cheapy from Bunnys. If you live near a Bunny's store it may not matter but if you are miles from nowhere trying to mill a log - Bummerrrr!

Ianab
4th June 2007, 01:17 PM
Stick with the old Stihl :;

It might be heavy and lacking a chain brake.. (thats not such an issue if you have it bolted to some sort of mill) but it still works after 'x' number of years. :2tsup:

Keep an eye out for a big ole Stihl or Husky from that vintage and spend your hard earned $$ on fixing that up instead. It will probably be heavier and even harder to start, but it will be 10 times better for milling.

Cheers

Ian

echnidna
4th June 2007, 05:15 PM
I wonder what people who actually purchased one of these think of them

martrix
4th June 2007, 05:27 PM

thanks

Simon

I cant see anywhere on those listings that says they have a warranty. At least if you get a bunnies unit you will get 12 months warranty.

My electric McChulloch CS was about $160 and I have milled a fair bit of hard dry redgum with it and its still going strong. It cuts much better with a Stihl Picco chain on it rather than the low-kickback chain that comes with it.

Those ebay saws must be a rip from a Jred or Husky, so I'm sure parts are available.

Post some pics of your Stihl, are you sure its an 07 or do you mean 076?

http://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/9f/14/e471_10.JPG

cyco
4th June 2007, 10:02 PM
it's definatly a 07s my dad bought it in 1961 still has all the paper work.
i found it on the stihl web site. i'll take some pic's and post them if i can.
the timber i'm milling is silver wattle(acacia dealbata) in the same family as the blackwood a lighter wood with a light brown, pink look to it.
thanks to every one for their input.

simon

DJ’s Timber
4th June 2007, 10:35 PM
This the model you've got?

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/55607131c6a020ef88256ba200101140/Images/0.84?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

Dean
4th June 2007, 11:16 PM
Well, I accidentally bought one of those 52cc saws off ebay, basically because I got it for under $100 on a last minute bid where no other bidder seemed to be staying up to snipe it off me :)

Anyone got it in the mail and assembled. Actually, its pretty good for the price. The finish seems reasonable but you casn notice the cost cutting components, like plastic fuel/oil caps, and pretty dodgy choke control etc. But it all works and came with a decent bar and Carlton chain. The motor seems to have plenty of grunt... definitely 52cc worth and I've chopped up quite a few trees with it and it had no troubles. As long as you look after it well and run in the engine a little before getting into the big stuff, it seems to work fine. As good as any low priced bunnies saw.

Ive used it in my mill too and it worked fine. Slow going, but I was cutting quite dry hardwood so slow was the order of the day.

Would I buy one again? If I could get one for around $200 delivered, I say yes. Mine was a real bargain, because somehow, they sent me two saws for the price of one! :2tsup:

I reckon they are pretty good for the $$.

As I said, if you treat em like crap, they probably wont last, but so far mine are purring like babies with a lot of TLC in between :)

cyco
4th June 2007, 11:31 PM
thats the one dj.

thanks dean it sounds like the chinese crf 50 copy motorbike i bought for my son then, maintainance is the one thing i am half good at.
thanks again.

Dean
4th June 2007, 11:45 PM
thanks dean it sounds like the chinese crf 50 copy motorbike i bought for my son then, maintainance is the one thing i am half good at.
thanks again.

Yeah i bought my boy one of those Chinese 110cc quad bikes they are flogging off on ebay for cheap these days. Goes alright so far (had it for 2 weeks). Making sure to run it in properly though. Already changed oil twice (first to get rid of the chinese rice oil in the motor, and second after first tank to get rid of any dodgy bits that come off the insides during first use).

Has plenty of guts and spare parts are cheap too :2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
9th June 2007, 12:55 PM
G'day Simon,

You have caused me to re-live very unpleasant memories
of a recent eBay purchase of the 52cc chainsaw.

I am an avid user of eBay and love it ... this purchase
was my one and only disappointment.

Will be happy to give details via E-Mail if you wish.

Allan

the surgeon
9th June 2007, 05:57 PM

Allan

No, please tell us all

ozwinner
9th June 2007, 06:44 PM
G'day Simon,

You have caused me to re-live very unpleasant memories
of a recent eBay purchase of the 52cc chainsaw.

I am an avid user of eBay and love it ... this purchase
was my one and only disappointment.

Allan

Using PM's and emails makes the forums redundant, so post away so we can all see.

Al :)

Allan at Wallan
9th June 2007, 07:05 PM
Hi,
Purchased mine for $170 on eBay only to find the automatic oil
pump was not working. My son-in-law got one at the same time
for $160 and his oil pump was flooding oil everywhere. I contacted
the company who sent me two new oil pumps to be fitted at my
own expense. The repair shop fitted them but still did not work
properly. Took mine back to the repair shop who stated,
a) cheap junk - dont waste your money.
b) dont bring the chainsaw back again - will not touch it.

I contacted the seller again and requested a complete new
chainsaw as I would not be spending anymore on repairs.
Seller refused and offered to send me another oil pump.

I then stated that I would re-advertise my chainsaw on eBay
for next to nothing, display it as their brand and describe it
as rubbish and may only be good for spare parts. This brought
a response from the company claiming that I will need a good
lawyer as they would sue me for all I was worth.

I am currently cutting my firewood with it by cutting two blocks
of wood, dribbling oil onto the chain then cutting two more, then
more oil etc.

Do your self a favour spend your money on a proven brand.

martrix
9th June 2007, 07:14 PM
Gday Allan, should be able to get your saw oiling again. Post some pics of the new and old oil pumps and some of where it goes on the saw as well as the saw itself. You may be surprised at the knowledge here and very well could get it working properly again with the advice given.

I knew zero about chainsaws, but with help here and another forum I am half way through a complete rebuild of a Stihl chainsaw (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=47387).

Start a new thread if you want.:wink:

ozwinner
9th June 2007, 07:17 PM
By law in Vic any goods sold have to be of merchantable quality and fit for the purpose they were sold for.

Get in touch with consumer affairs.

Al :((

Allan at Wallan
9th June 2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks but bit reluctant to show photos as I will identify the
brand and perhaps expose myself to legal processes.

My chainsaw is sitting in the shed with a great pool of oil
under it. It has oil coming out of ever conceivable point
of the bodywork except where it should be ... and this is
from just sitting there.

My son-in-law has offered to pull the whole thing to bits one
day and establish the cause of the problem. He had the
same problem initially and used the head of a rivet in some
way to reduce the oil flow in his ... perhaps mine has the
same deficiency.

ozwinner
9th June 2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks but bit reluctant to show photos as I will identify the
brand and perhaps expose myself to legal processes.

They are going to sue you because there product is bodgy?

Al :?

Allan at Wallan
9th June 2007, 08:05 PM
Yes, I have it in writing in one of the many E-Mails
we exchanged.

At this stage I hope to cut a couple of trailer loads of
wood and just get it to pay for itself.

Would never deal with or recommend them to anyone!

echnidna
9th June 2007, 08:55 PM
I'd detail the complaint and send it to consumer affairs together with the threatening email.

Incidentall the ACCC recently took ( and won) several legal actions against a tool importer as their tools failed to meet australian standards

martrix
9th June 2007, 09:05 PM
I'm no legal eagle by a long shot, but I would say that letter was just intended to scare the cr@p out of you.

Hopefully Sturdee reads this thread as he seems to know a bit about the law. I highly doubt they have any grounds to sue you for defamation.

cyco
12th June 2007, 01:45 AM
allan sorry to hear about your dodgy saw, but thankyou for sharing your experiences with us.
like you i like to buy goods from e-bay and have had some great buys from there.
i believe you can report them to e-bay and they will do something on your behalf if not i would do as the others have said and give consumer affairs a quick call to see where you stand, no harm in trying.
let us know how you go!
thanks again i will persist with the old 07s till i can afford a good quality brand name saw.

bobsreturn2003
12th June 2007, 12:08 PM
there are some excellent buys on ebay . got an echo saw from the states for about $400.delivered 50cc saw japenese made . run some 757shindaiwas and a stihl 066. for slabbing and milling ,and they work great . the chinese gear can be good ?/?but you dont know till you have paid . if you are milling frequently ,try and stretch to a new saw ,or get dads tuned .saws this age had points wich wear and make for hard starting ,good luck with your milling .its easy to cut at 45degrees to the log or along the grain . makes life easier . cheers bob

Tas_Dean
21st July 2007, 11:48 PM
Yes, I have it in writing in one of the many E-Mails
we exchanged.

I'll agree with some of the other comments here, in that I doubt they have any grounds to sue you provided anything you say is factual. It is only slander if it isn't true! I'm no lawyer however.
Get in touch with consumer affairs. If it's sold as a new item, it must be in a "merchantable" condition. Consumer affairs/fair trading should have a field day with it, especially considering the threatening emails. A statement from the repair guy would certainly help your cause. There are too many cowboys in thiefbay as it is. It was a decent place to find a bargain, but seems to have largely become a place for dubious companies to sell crap of an even more dubious quality.

Wroger Wroger
22nd July 2007, 12:11 PM
I wunce saw a really neato video on chainsore safety...

And they showed how Nob Aussie in singlet, shorts and thongs went up against an unsafe chainsore (no safety stuff - chain break etc)...

Then they showed Cleva Aussie, in all the safety gear, which surprisingly included "body armor" for the shins and foots...

And they showed the REASONS for wearing all the safety gear.,...

They shewed pix of NASTY accidents - peeps vs. chainsore...

And they shewed Vid of the degree of protection that the body armor provides by running a chainsore into said shin and feet guards....

Like the guards can be cut through - but after 3 or 4 seconds... which is to defeat the glancing or temporary "touching" of a running chainsaw...

I remember the premium statement..."The very things that makes a chainsaw such a great cutting tool, are also the very things that make it such a dangerous device."

I think it was made by Sthill, or Husqvarna or the forrestry commishun....

Dunno.

Safety Gear... Ohhhhhhh lets play dress ups... "I'm a lumber jack and I'm Ok"...

thanks

simon

pawnhead
22nd July 2007, 12:23 PM
If you want to take the Wroger, can't you at least be funny?

You're just a waste of space at the moment.

Allan at Wallan
5th September 2007, 06:01 PM
Please refer to my earlier comments within this
thread relating to problems I have experienced
with my e-Bay purchase of a 52cc chain saw.

I recently took the chainsaw to a second repair
shop for assessment. The young bloke there found
the "worm drive" which assists the oil pump to be
the problem. A worm drive was ordered from the
e-Bay supplier but in putting it back together the
clutch snapped. A new clutch was ordered and has
now been fitted. The clutch and oil feed seem to
be working ok and I have cut a trailer load of wood.

The young bloke at the repair shop is of the opinion
that the chainsaw is a copy of a Komatsu chainsaw.
He is so confident that if he needs parts for mine in
future he will order Komatsu parts.

My chainsaw can be seen in the response by "Martrix"
on 4 June 07.

Allan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

Alastair
6th September 2007, 11:02 AM
I wunce saw a really neato video on chainsore safety...

And they showed how Nob Aussie in singlet, shorts and thongs went up against an unsafe chainsore (no safety stuff - chain break etc)...

Then they showed Cleva Aussie, in all the safety gear, which surprisingly included "body armor" for the shins and foots...

And they showed the REASONS for wearing all the safety gear.,...

They shewed pix of NASTY accidents - peeps vs. chainsore...

And they shewed Vid of the degree of protection that the body armor provides by running a chainsore into said shin and feet guards....

Like the guards can be cut through - but after 3 or 4 seconds... which is to defeat the glancing or temporary "touching" of a running chainsaw...

I remember the premium statement..."The very things that makes a chainsaw such a great cutting tool, are also the very things that make it such a dangerous device."

I think it was made by Sthill, or Husqvarna or the forrestry commishun....

Dunno.

Safety Gear... Ohhhhhhh lets play dress ups... "I'm a lumber jack and I'm Ok"...

OHMIGOD

I thought we had gotten rid of this richard cranium.

Can't someone take him for a walk and lose him?