PDA

View Full Version : Worlds best Hamburger Patties

Lignum
4th June 2007, 02:54 AM
Night before. Make up your favourite herb or herb and garlic butter and roll it in a fat gladwrap roll and put in freezer.

Hamburgers. DO NOT add onions, grated carrots, eggs, breadcumbs etc......eeeeeeew. Ruin it. Mince = ADD nothing at all

Best to get some good Rump and mince it yourself or premium mince (no fat) from butcher.

Do NOT use supermarket mince.

Method. Very simple.

Grab 2 handfulls of mince and flatten them in 2 seperate patties (very thin) Take out frozen butter from the freezer (last minute) and slice into 4 or 5mm strips using warm knife (under hot running water) and place butter on a pattie and place other pattie on top and press around the edges to seal it.

Nice hot pan with a little margarine - perfect cooking temprature (oil to hot and burns food, butter heats to quick and burns and goes nutty, and dont use cast iron as it burns to easy)

Cook burgers for 3 or so minutes each side to liking, take them out and eat them. Yum, yum, yum. Plain and simple and just melts in your mouth:)

Honorary Bloke
4th June 2007, 04:10 AM
Good recipe, Lignum! Sounds wonderful. I have made similar myself filling the space between the two patties with Jalapeno peppers (but you must like it spicy).

I agree with you about the mince. Add nothing, mince it yourself if you can. :2tsup: I'll try your version and let you know how we like it.:)

Lignum
4th June 2007, 04:17 AM
Jalapeno peppers (but you must like it spicy).:?:D

How do you add them? There has to be a method:)

Yes, spicy is the way to go:D

Honorary Bloke
4th June 2007, 04:28 AM
We make the two thin patties as you suggest, then place some slices of Jalapeno on one patty (and sometimes a bit of cheese), then the other patty on top, press the edges, etc. Must get a good seal or the butter, cheese, whatever you like will escape during cooking as you know.

Usually use pickled Japapenos that are thinly sliced. Fresh ones will not get cooked sufficiently in the patties.

BTW, you can mix a bit of butter and oil together to adjust the temp at which it smokes if you have no margarine.

Gingermick
25th July 2007, 08:38 PM
I sometimes make burgers with a cheapish cut. Just rip it up a bit and give it a few pulses in the food processor. Not fine like mince, but a little chunky, add some black pepper and make patties and fry till its cooked like your steak. (Medium rare)
They stay together much better than I had anticipated, but may fall apart if cooked too much.

Pete J
19th September 2007, 04:55 AM
Hamburgers. DO NOT add onions, grated carrots, eggs, breadcumbs etc......eeeeeeew. Ruin it. Mince = ADD nothing at all
:)

Can't agree, Lignum.

Mince must be high quality but NOT a very low fat type. A little fat is necessary to carry flavour and mix properly to a good bite consistency. Your selected quality meat is fine, just don't get carried away with the min. fat crowd.

Do add one egg per 500 g or so; do add a very finely diced onion - at the rate of one per kilo of mince; do add herbs - basil, thyme, oregano (at least) - again very finely chopped.

Do use a hot plate and thin pattie - press it out if needs be, 10 mm thick is brilliant, and no more than 15 - thick patties just sludge away on the plate.

For XCLNT HB's use soft buns cut in half flat - scrape (v. lightly) butter across them and place on hot plate for about 60 seconds - butter toasts the bun and heats it. (Shredded lettuce, grated carrot, beetroot and if you must - sauce)

Tanfastic