PDA

View Full Version : Zebrawood

benji79
4th June 2007, 01:14 PM
This is a small bowl I just made out of Zebrawood or Zebrano. Grain was terrible to work with, it just kept tearing out. Really nice when finished though.

Comments Appreciated.

Benji.

DJ’s Timber
4th June 2007, 01:23 PM
Well worth persevering with IMHO, has come up a treat

Brown Dog
4th June 2007, 01:56 PM
Nice one Benji....very striking:2tsup:

Having only ever used zebrawood for a couple of pens, It is the only timber that I have used that will always chip out at the end of the barrel. But with a sharp gouge and a bit of "taken it easy" I can mostly avoid it.

it is a very nice bit of timber:D

cheers
BD:2tsup:

dai sensei
4th June 2007, 02:03 PM
Nice bowl there Benji, the finish looks good. The only comment I would make is that the walls look very thick.

OGYT
4th June 2007, 02:13 PM
I've turned it only once. Life's too short to turn crappy wood!
You did well on this one. Looks like you took care of the tearout fine.
I like thickness, if the timber's lightweight.
Thanks for showing.

cedar n silky
4th June 2007, 05:02 PM
Good one Benji. I have never seen it before! Almost looks "spalted" Looks great.:2tsup:

Simomatra
4th June 2007, 05:06 PM
Great looking bowl Benji well worth the persistance

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th June 2007, 08:28 PM
My first thoughts? "Ooer! I reckon I could get a few pens outta that!" (Some habits are hard to break. :whistling2:)

Nice piece of wood, but I'm not too sure whether I like the lip... it's a wee tad too thick in proportion to the rest of the bowl for my taste.

I think I'd either roll the inside curve over in a smooth arc to the bottom of the existing lip (sorta like the rim of a bath-tub, if you know what I mean?) or undercut the outside more, so the lip becomes thinner. Just my opinion though.

The tear-out can be a right PITA can't it? I have a zebrawood bowl out in the shed, which I tell people is only roughed and I'll finish it when I get a round tuit. The real reason it's still there (and SSSSH! This is only between you and me, OK? :seald:) is the tear-out was driving me insane so I put it aside until I regained some patience. Another year or three should see it finished. :rolleyes: