PDA

View Full Version : Hoop pine pepper mill

cedar n silky
4th June 2007, 04:53 PM
I finished my first pepper mill today (300mm high), and am quite pleased with the result, although the shape kept changing on me, because, well, I am a bit out of practice on the skew chisel!:B (a few "dig inns" that's for sure)
I really enjoyed making it though, using my new "chinese" morse taper drill chuck and 16 piece forstner bits (no dramas there, although it's only pine). I also got some 25mm pin jaws which were very usefull. I tried a bit of texture (first time ever) using some leather working tools I had. The tool is like a little free wheeling cog on a handle, that marks leather for stitching. I could have pushed a bit harder, or gone a bit lighter on the sanding, as I lost it a bit. It's inspired me to play around with "chatter tools" anyhow.
I wouldn't be able to make a living out of turning them that's for sure:B . Took me the best part of a day!:doh: (although I did bore out a few others while it was set up)
Your comment most welcome, and by all means, some design suggestions would be appreciated.
I have one queery. I used the "Danish" $8.50 kit (which is OK), but was wondering if there are some really good quality kits in Aus?

Simomatra
4th June 2007, 05:09 PM
Very nice Cedar

I purchased some kits from Jim Carrol at the show but have still got to have a go at them. I wamt more practice before attempting

Your look pretty good

You certainly have been busy

dai sensei
4th June 2007, 05:30 PM
Looks fine to me. One at a time does take the longest time. I find I make a batch all at one time (4-6), that way you minimise the time for set-ups, but they still take a lot of time to make.

I use CrushGrind mechanisms - do a search on the internet, there are a few suppliers.

WillyInBris
4th June 2007, 05:33 PM
Hi Cedar,

I am making some mills as well and will complete my first one this Saturday if friends and family will bloody leave me alone :(( , as for yours looks good so far prob a bit long on the base for my liking but thats personal taste.

The I like the crushgrind mills from CWS but they are a bit pricey most of the guys like them on these forums and I like the way you can change grind size from the bottom makes it so simple to use.

Well done for your first mill :2tsup: .

cedar n silky
4th June 2007, 06:24 PM
Hi Cedar,

I am making some mills as well and will complete my first one this Saturday if friends and family will bloody leave me alone :(( , as for yours looks good so far prob a bit long on the base for my liking but thats personal taste.

The I like the crushgrind mills from CWS but they are a bit pricey most of the guys like them on these forums and I like the way you can change grind size from the bottom makes it so simple to use.

Well done for your first mill :2tsup: .
My daughter popped around to pass judgment:o , and she agrees that the base is too tall, and should have swept into the curve from lower down. I tend to agree also. The base was set well into my shark jaws, and I lost perspective a bit. I can always improve on the first one! She also said she didn't want one in Pine. So I might have to try something else!:U

Cliff Rogers
4th June 2007, 06:37 PM
Good one. :2tsup:

The real trick is to make a matching salt mill. :D

Barry Hicks
4th June 2007, 06:48 PM
I like it! I hope you haven't been cutting down those trees around your house?

Barry Hicks

Neal
4th June 2007, 09:45 PM
Looks good maybe a little bottomish but certanly a good attempt ,keep going anyway as I have orders from daughter for one :rolleyes: & the more posted the better ideas I get .Know what you mean about digins made my first vase'y type thing on the weekend started out quite well then came to hollowing out & bits blew everywhere but now have a nice beaker type thing & lots of camphour chips.
Neal

TTIT
4th June 2007, 11:44 PM
My daughter popped around to pass judgment:o , and she agrees that the base is too tall, and should have swept into the curve from lower down................................ She also said she didn't want one in Pine. ...........Picky, picky !!!! :q I reckon it looks fine and the finish looks great too - :2tsup:

cedar n silky
5th June 2007, 08:18 PM
I like it! I hope you haven't been cutting down those trees around your house?

Barry Hicks

How do you know I've been cutting trees down around my house?!?:D Is it Google earth? can you tell??:B I hope the nature conservation council don't use that program!:o

cedar n silky
5th June 2007, 08:21 PM
Who is Barry Hicks?:? Maybe he is my neighbour? What sort of address is "Australia" :D Can you be more specific?:rolleyes: I beeter go and see my therapist, Dr Vicmarc, i am getting paranoid!