PDA

View Full Version : Wood/Finish for Kitchen Utensils

Dean
12th August 2003, 12:07 PM
Need some info on best wood and finish to use for wooden kitchen utensils.

Just picked me up an MC-900 lathe and looking at the various metalware (forks, knives, serving utensils) you can buy for cheap from the woodworking cattledogs. Should make nice, cheap chrissy presents. But of course, you have to make the handles for them, so need some info on what finish is best to use to make these handles I propose to create somewhat waterproof and somewhat durable??

Tried a search but couldn't find any solid answers, or I was using the wrong keywords!

Also, will a urethane-type glue be suitable to attach the handles or do I need to go for something nastier? :)

Cheers.

river rat
14th August 2003, 09:02 PM
Dean,
I have used urathane glue for some cutting boards I made with good results, I also used walnut oil as a finish. I wood not put them in a dishwasher and oil them every six months.

River Rat

Jeff
23rd August 2003, 04:37 PM
mineral oil and beeswax, five to one, melted in a double boiler (tin can in a pot of boiling water), CAREFULLY. Makes a nice safe paste. Smells good. Non toxic. Urethane........!!!!!!? On food serving utensils? Gotta be kidding. Also, be certain the woods you use are appropriate for food handling. Lacewood...not! Fruitwoods, usually good. Just cause it looks cool doesnn't make it right for food. Check out what the old timers have used, experience is powerful knowledge. Good luck.

Chippy Chappy
26th August 2003, 03:35 PM
Dean,

rule of thumb do not use anything you wouldn"t eat anywhere items to used near food or your mouth. Recommend Olive oil, Grape seed oil, walnut oil etc. You my have to oil more frequently better safe than sorry.
:cool:

Neil
27th August 2003, 09:53 AM
Most of the oils mentioned will sour and go rancid and some even have bad effects like death. I know this sounds a bit on the dramatic side but hey, they are all food oils and go off when exposed to the air and all the other stuff that may come along .

Think you will find that olive oil is the worst of the lot, with walnut being one of the better ones but even it will turn sooner or later.

The only reasonably safe oil to use, that I know of, is paraffin oil. It is completely inert and will not go rancid or spoil. It is also safe for human consumption and is non drying so the item stays oiled for longer.

If you are talking about knife handles and the like then Shellawax (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/shell.html) or Shellawax Glow (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/Glow.htm) will do the job wonderfully, both will also work equally well on bowls and other foos impliments however it is best to stick to decorative pieces rather than functional, and if they must be used keep them for dry foods like nuts, potato chips, biscuits, etc. Fruit acids and constant moisture cause havoc with most finishes sooner or later.

Oils and waxes will mark pretty quickly. The only really durable protection is plastic by way of a 2 part epoxy or similar but even these have inherrant problems down the track.

Below is part of a reply to an email on the same subject.

If you want an idiot proof bowl finish use 2 part epoxy to put a hard plastic finish on the work. It will look pretty ordinary will take 100 times longer and will look and feel like plastic, but it really is the only fully idiot proof finish and by idiot proof I mean the end user not the manufacturer. No matter what you say people will treat a wooden bowl like plastic and do really stupid things, like putting it in the microwave and/or dish washer. They will use it to beat eggs for a cake, to soak mixed fruit in brandy for the Christmas pudding, to make a jelly in, etc, etc, etc..... Cups will be filled with hot drinks (even if you say not to) and will warp and crack. Goblets will eventually have the surface broken down by alcohol (even epoxy won't stand up to very much tequila)

You should also be aware that many timbers are also quite toxic and may cause all sorts of problems from death to ulcers, and a number of gastric problems if the surface coating is broken.

Dean
27th August 2003, 01:07 PM
thanks for the info :)

JackoH
27th August 2003, 06:43 PM
I was once told that to finish salad bowls and like utensils use the cheapest cooking oil you can find as this contains a high level of preservative.
I have used no- name brand with no problems to finish salad bowls, including one we have used regularly for several years. We just wipe out with a damp cloth and applya little of whatever cooking oil is in the cupboard. But not olive or grapeseed oil as these contain no preservatives and consequently will go rancid very quickly.
Neil may well correct me, but I believe that Shellawax causes no problems providing that the utensil is left to 'cure' for a few weeks after application?:D
Articles finished with Rustins Danish Oil are also supposed to be quite safe to use a few weeks after application as it is claimed that any dangerous esters etc evaporate, leaving a none toxic finish.:rolleyes: