PDA

View Full Version : Hollandaise

Gingermick
5th June 2007, 07:40 PM
Every now and then I make eggs Benedict, but I'm always a little disappointed with the thickness of my hollandaise. Couple egg yolks, beaten in a bowl over hot water with a bit of white wine, then out from the water and in with butter. It emulsifies ok but wont sit on top of my eggs in a nice, neat pile. Like the real ones do.
Could someone tell me why please?

silentC
6th June 2007, 10:31 AM
The eggs need to be very fresh. Make sure you don't get the white froth from the butter in there. The butter needs to be straight off the stove too - nice and hot so it partially cooks the yolk. I've had a few runny flops too but usually get it right. Should be about the consistency of mayonnaise.

Doughboy
6th June 2007, 10:41 AM
Like the real ones do??? There are lots of places out there that use Hollandaise from a packet. So dont take too much out of it. These products are far from superior and tend to be loaded with emusifiers and rubbish so thet can leave it in a tray for a week and use it.

As Mr SilentC has said you can use hot butter, the 'white stuff' needs to be clarified off, tarragon vinegar instead of white wine is a good option and i like to put a dash of mustard in as well but that is a personal prefernce. By the way I use a stick blender to mix mine with. Hollandaise also goes nicely with fish or chicken, just so there is no wastage of course!:wink:

Mmmmm eggs bene...... i am hungry after all.

Iain
6th June 2007, 08:00 PM
Try Ghee.

Lignum
6th June 2007, 08:40 PM
then out from the water and in with butter.

Theirs your problem. Make sure you use clarified butter and put it in whilst its still in the double boiler:)

Gingermick
6th June 2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks all, I do try and leave the white crappy stuff out, but am charged now and will let you know of my results, probably Sat morn. Bloody work, I'm keen now, but my enthusiasm for eggs bene lasts, and lasts.

Gingermick
21st June 2007, 08:35 PM
Worked a treat this morning. (Show day holiday) Kids with in laws and eggs bene for breaky, yummmmmm
Thanks

Gingermick
8th December 2007, 09:05 AM
Now it's started curdling.