PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal bandsaw mill

whitewood
6th June 2007, 11:28 AM
Here are some photos of my little mill. A Westford BSK 190. It has taken me several days to master the art of including photos (I hope).
1 Mill on the day of commissioning includes the blade and my bum.
2 Mill from the cutting side minus the blade as I am not milling at the moment.
3 Mill from the operators side.
4 The general set up with the track for the mill and loading racks so logs can be rolled on and not damage the tracks.

Some of the specificationa are
1 Maximum log diameter 27"
2 Maximum throat width is 21"
3 Blades 1.25" x 138.75" x.035 1' tooth Hackkansson bi metal or same size but a 3/4" tooth Simmonds Redstreak for softer timber.
4 Current length of log capacity is 4 feet to 14.5 feet.
5 Minimum sawing height is 1" above log holder.
6 Powered by a Kohler 12 HP.
7 Blade tensionioning is hydraulic (2300 to 2500 PSI).

If any members wanted to see this mill operatoring or bring some timber to a 'field day' then I would be happy to 'fire up' the mill one weekend towards the end of June. I live 25klm north west of Murwillumbah in NSW so it won't be practical for most members. E-mail me on [email protected]. if it is more convenient.

BobL
6th June 2007, 05:36 PM
Cool Mill,

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

It looks like it is sittling on a limestone pad of some kind. How easy is it to dismantle and store away?

Those logs look quite small. How are they held down while they are milled?

Cheers

whitewood
6th June 2007, 06:15 PM
The mill is set on a cracker dust base to raise it above the ground and to make it easier to level the track. The mill is in one piece and weighs about 300 klg. I can just move it with the forks on my tractor but prefer to cover it with a tarp when not in use. Plenty of RP7. The tracks are bolted to gether and could be dismantled easily. I find it easier to cover them with sheets of iron to keep the weather off them.

The 'logs' in the first pic were tree tops. There are metal posts that fit in the bed that hold any size log in place for the actual cutting process. They are tensioned by springs. They were not in place when the photos were taken.

Andy Mac
6th June 2007, 07:40 PM
Hi whitewood,
That's a nice looking setup, and a choice area you're in for timber too! (I used to live down that way for a while, when I worked as a furniture maker... one of the best spots in the whole country I reckon!!)
What sort of a kerf does the bandsaw take out of the log? And are you breaking the logs into slabs for furniture?

Cheers,

whitewood
6th June 2007, 08:26 PM
Yes it is a very nice part of the country. As a long term Queenslander I wish some one would change the border to include this part of Australia in Queensland.

I have had trouble with the mill due to my lack of experience and expertise. ( 'A cobbler should stick to his last' is an old sayinging but a true one. ) I have now learnt by my mistakes and when I mill the next batch of logs I'll be a better operator. I had been allowing 2.5mm for the kerf in my calculations and it seemed to work ok. I will know accurately when I start the batch of timber

I am milling the logs to obtain planks for sale as rough sawn timber. There are some slabs that result as part of this process and they are suitable for surfboard construction.

Harry II
6th June 2007, 08:55 PM
There are some slabs that result as part of this process and they are suitable for surfboard construction.

Ya kiddin me?

whitewood
6th June 2007, 11:47 PM
Hi Harry 11

Naa not kidding.

Harry II
7th June 2007, 09:07 PM
Hi Harry 11

Naa not kidding.

For Stringers then?

dai sensei
7th June 2007, 10:03 PM
If any members wanted to see this mill operatoring or bring some timber to a 'field day' then I would be happy to 'fire up' the mill one weekend towards the end of June.

Nice looking rig there Whitewood. Count me in for a field day, sounds great :2tsup: . I have plenty of small logs and burls to test her out too I can bring with me.

whitewood
7th June 2007, 10:43 PM
HarryII

I am not familar with the construction of surfboards. All know is that a guy took some of my 55mm thick flitches to test. He has since declared that they are great and will buy more. His boards do not use foam and resins as he belives they pollute the water. His are a work of art and very srong. He turned one up side down and stood on it. Impressive?

whitewood
7th June 2007, 10:52 PM
dai sensei,

Your the first 'local' to respond. I don't want to set a date untill I see if there is any more interest but will go ahead anyway as I want to mill a couple of logs for myself. As for milling your timber milling there is no problem but pieces need to be 4 feet long so that they fit on the mill bed. Perhaps we could sort out details over the phone. Send me your number by e-mail and I'll phone back at a time to suit. I am going away for the long weekend so will not be available for a few days

Harry II
7th June 2007, 10:53 PM
sorry if I missed it whitewood but what kind of wood is it?

Tony Morton
7th June 2007, 10:58 PM
Hi All
There was a fellow at Comboyne cutting paulownia about 15 mm thich to sell to some board maker in Qld long boards that sold for about $10000 plus I saw one about ten foot and it looked great.

Cheers Tony

whitewood
8th June 2007, 08:57 AM
Harry 11

the timber is Paulownia.

whitewood
8th June 2007, 12:54 PM
TonY Morton

Thanks for the information. I have been given to understand that my local surf board manfacturer is in contact with that manfacturer. I believe the business is on the Sunshine Coast. I'll do some more research and follow up if it is worth while. Thanks.

dai sensei
8th June 2007, 08:09 PM
Your the first 'local' to respond. I don't want to set a date untill I see if there is any more interest but will go ahead anyway as I want to mill a couple of logs for myself. As for milling your timber milling there is no problem but pieces need to be 4 feet long so that they fit on the mill bed. Perhaps we could sort out details over the phone. Send me your number by e-mail and I'll phone back at a time to suit. I am going away for the long weekend so will not be available for a few days

Just name a date that suits you and some more locals are sure to come out of the woodwork. Most of my logs are around 4' long and around 250 to 350 dia, so my bandsaw can do the job - just waiting for me to cut them up. I was just thinking a demo day could save me the work :U

My burls are less than 4', but could be attached to a board (?), they are too big for my bandsaw :~ so I am always looking for oportunities to cut them up.