PDA

View Full Version : One for the techie's - What is eSata and should I use it?

felixe
6th June 2007, 10:57 PM
Hi,

I have just purchased a Coolermaster Xcraft Hard disk Caddy and put into it a Western digital 400gb drive - all is good,:) it runs well as a replacement for my ageing "New Motion" USB2 80gb hard drive.
The purpose is as a "backup" destination for my files - I use Acronis disk imageing software.
The average backup file is 90gb and takes 5 hours, as the CM/WD external drive is linked by usb2 cable.
The disk caddy came with an eSata cable, and all the bits to connect up to the computer. So my question is..

Should I bother linking it up to eSata? What performance benefits will it have?:?

I appreciate any replies.:2tsup:

Felixe.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th June 2007, 11:21 PM
Should I bother linking it up to eSata? What performance benefits will it have?:?

eSATA just means external SATA. The cable length is limited to a max of 2m and, unlike USB, it doesn't provide cabled power. SATA 1.0 (normal SATA) reaches speeds of 150mb/s and I think eSATA's currently reaching about 110-120mb/s, whereas USB 2.0 only handles about 50-60mb/s.

So, provided you don't mind that the external drive needs a seperate power supply and must be close(ish) to the computer, you could expect to perform backups in half the time. 2 1/2hours as compared to 5? I reckon that's a no-brainer. :thyel:

eSATA is still only "early days" so if it becomes more popular I expect it will improve.

felixe
6th June 2007, 11:27 PM
Ok, then!
Skew, the limitations you describe are of no concern. Because of the size of the drive (400gb) the caddy needs a seperate power supply. Also, the caddy sits on top of my desk. I like the idea of backups in 1/2 the time.

I will have to have a "tinker" on the weekend and wire it up:oo: :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th June 2007, 11:42 PM
The 1/2 the time is only "in theory" based on the specs. It really depends on how fast the HW at both ends (the cards in the 'puta and the caddy) handle the data.

But I'd be surprised if you don't see an hours improvement at the least. If you go ahead with it, don't forget to let us know how it goes... I've been thinking about going down the same path. (Hence my having the info. :D)

I've over 500GB I'd like to back up and not a real lot of patience... :rolleyes:

felixe
6th June 2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks, with my workload, it may wait 2 weeks. It is a nice little unit, and has a one touch back up button like the maxtor drives.

felixe
16th June 2007, 07:34 PM
An update, I installed the eSata port into the PC and connected the external drive.
:2tsup: It's quick, cutting backup time in 1/2 (at least) I highly recommend it as it only added an extra $10 onto the purchase price of the caddy.:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th June 2007, 08:29 PM
Always good to hear someone having a success story with these silicon monstrosities. :D