PDA

View Full Version : Home made drum sander from Treadmill

Hickory
7th June 2007, 11:08 AM
I am in the midst of a great thought. SWMBO has determined that we (she calls it we) need to remodel the lower level (common folks call it a basement) and in doing so we must rid ourselves of the guy stuff such as Neon Beer signs, stuffed fish and deer and such. (why all MY stuff?)

Anyway, the Treadmill has out run its usefullness as a place to store folded laundry. It still works but even Salvation Army or Goodwill won't except them as donations... must be a score for sale in the paper. Mine is old beyond compare. Can't give it away... So.... I was thinking of ravaging the guts from it and using the slow-fast speed control and the drum to make a drum sander. Can the rest of the works and make a thickness sander to compliment my shop.

What do you think? Any advise? Anyone done it?

soundman
7th June 2007, 11:20 AM
Bugger that... why not turn it into a huge belt sander..... I would occur to me that would be almost a simple belt change:D

the only concern is would the motor have enough guts.

I agree you have to be able to make something out of it.

may be even the conveyor for a drum sander???

cheers

Hickory
7th June 2007, 11:45 AM
Bugger that... why not turn it into a huge belt sander..... I would occur to me that would be almost a simple belt change:D

the only concern is would the motor have enough guts. Has enough guts to heft my sorry 250 pound ???? along at several MPH... I does 2.5 MPH on the one at my Cardio Rehab each week.

I agree you have to be able to make something out of it.

may be even the conveyor for a drum sander??? Would be a thought but I don't have a drum sander so I still need to make one to fit on it. Besides, it takes up too much room in my tiny dust bowl, (I call a shop). I can't turn around now, let alone with that monster in there with me.

cheers Will give thought to you suggestions....

Harry72
7th June 2007, 08:51 PM
Has the tready got electric height adjustment, hint hint...

Blackout
7th June 2007, 09:53 PM
Just a suggestion but before you decide wat to do I would check out the speed requirements for belt sanding operation and for moving wood through a drum sander and then check out the operating range of your treadmill. If you need help working out the tredmill speed just holler.

Blackout