PDA

View Full Version : Roadshow table

Grue
13th August 2003, 08:19 PM
I saw this table on the Antiques Roadshow.

When you rotate the top segments pop uot from under the top extending the table's diameter by about 600mm.

Will post pic of open table.

How does the mechanism work?

Grue

Grue
13th August 2003, 09:01 PM
Table opening

Grue

coastie
13th August 2003, 09:29 PM
I would say some sort of cam arrangement,looks pretty complex.

Grue
13th August 2003, 09:43 PM
Hi Coastie,

Thing has been puzzling me for a while now. First saw it on Roadshow some months back. It was attributed to a maker in Austria. This proved to be wrong, as the table they make is nothing like this one.
I finally tracked it down to a Lutens design. The coy is still in business so I wrote to them asking for details. Lutens was a famous architect, and his grand daughter now runs the company. She basicly said if you want to know - buy one - they will still make one for you if you have enough money.
Having an engineering mind, I'm intrigued, rotate the top the segments pop out, the top drops and forms an almost seemless table.
If you are interested I did a search on as many engines as I could find for "expanding table". There are several made but none like this.

Posted the question on an engineer's board no replies.

I agree, and ingenious cam. Lets see if members here can work it out!

Grue.

DaveInOz
14th August 2003, 10:47 AM
Did Ms Lutyens give you an indicative price?

Grue
14th August 2003, 12:07 PM
I didn't ask, off actually as in my request i stressed that I did not want to reproduce their patented idea, I just wanted to use it to demonstrate the engineering skills of a prominent designer.

Spelt it wrong in my former posts, here's their web site

http://www.lutyens-furniture.com/

There's some nice stuff there - inspirational?
Glenn

Sturdee
14th August 2003, 01:19 PM
I suppose they go on the basis that if you need to ask the price than you can't afford it.

Peter

Sir Stinkalot
14th August 2003, 01:34 PM
I have many fines pieces at my lodge in The Hamptons ….. I tend not to get there as often as one would like these days, but I will be sure not to miss The New York based designer Darren Henhault showing the Cardinal Hat lights at the Southampton Showhouse, The Hamptons USA from June 28th 2003.

Tootles

:D

DaveInOz
14th August 2003, 04:07 PM
Don't tell them but I am currently building a copy of the Thakeham Seat ... tee hee.
I wonder if they know about
Lutyens Bench (http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?706)
:D

Driver
14th August 2003, 10:03 PM
Stinky, old bean

If you're going to be down at your place in the Hamptons on June 28th this year, do let me know. I'll have Jeeves drive me across in the two-seater and we'll go and see this Henhouse chappie and his hats. Wouldn't want to miss something so obviously must-see!

Pip-Pip

Bertie