PDA

View Full Version : not another bowl..but first textured rim for me

Brown Dog
7th June 2007, 12:28 PM
Hi All,

Flying out tonight to visit the outlaws in Melbourne. So I decided yesterday to knock up a bowl as a house warming gift.

This is the first attempt I have made at a textured rim...and Im pretty pleased with how it turned out....the finish is not 100% :- but I figure that only turners notice stuff like that anyway:D .

Turned from a bit off Sassy that I had rough turned awhile ago. The texturing was done with a Dremmel and a small round burr. It measures approx. 170mm across.

cheers
BD:2tsup:

paul collins
7th June 2007, 12:50 PM
hey i like it ,the texturing is not overdone,very nice.i am sure the outlaws will be pleased.

DJ’s Timber
7th June 2007, 01:12 PM
Nice one BD :2tsup:, can we get a closer shot of the texturing, bit hard to see the detail of the texture

Brown Dog
7th June 2007, 02:37 PM
Hi DJ

this is the best i can do RE: the closeup....as the bowl and the camera are now packed :D .

Its not exactly how I wanted it to turn out. I wanted the texture to be more pointy but either this wood is to wet/soft or the cheapy burr I was using wasnt real sharp, so I had to sand it abit to get rid of some tearout ...all up though it looks OK in the flesh...especially when viewed from a distance:doh: :U

cheers

DJ’s Timber
7th June 2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks BD :2tsup:

WOODbTURNER
7th June 2007, 04:18 PM
Great stuff!

Wayne Blanch
7th June 2007, 04:34 PM
Looks terrific.:2tsup: I am going to have to give that a go. Another thing on the to do list!

rsser
7th June 2007, 07:09 PM
Works well.

The knot's a bit distracting for my taste though.

Hardenfast
12th June 2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the post, Dog.

I haven't seen this textured finish before, so found your pics quite fascinating. There's so much to learn here....

Are there different sizes and textures of these burrs available? Where do you buy these accessories?

Excellent work - I'll bet it was very well received.

Brown Dog
15th June 2007, 08:32 PM
thanks Hardenfast

The bowl was well recieved, and now I have orders for more:D .

Are there different sizes and textures of these burrs available? Where do you buy these accessories?

there are heaps of sizes and shapes. The one I used is a little round highspeed cutter.

check out this page on the dremel site
http://au.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html

I got mine from Bunnings. They have a "made in china" set for about $20 that has about 50 pieces, I think. They are not as good as the dremel bits but are a truck load cheaper.

cheers

weisyboy
15th June 2007, 09:04 PM
great job bd i'v got a dremel but never thaught about doing that

hughie
15th June 2007, 09:17 PM
I got mine from Bunnings. They have a "made in china" set for about $20 that has about 50 pieces, I think. They are not as good as the dremel bits but are a truck load cheaper.

Yeah stay away from the el cheapo. The chuck runs out you cant do any fine or accurate work. :U

How do I know? :U cheapskate me bought one.... :C :B grrrrh Now I own a Dremel :2tsup: