PDA

View Full Version : New shed construction query

bloggs1968
7th June 2007, 07:18 PM
Hi all,

After waiting for ages to get a builder to turn up to start my new shed, he does a no show (I am not happy!!!!) so I have decided to get it up myself with some help from some mates and the good old forum.

Before I ask any queries, a little about the shed. It is 18m x 12m x 8m (6.3m @gutter), steel framed kit shed clad in colourbond. Portal frames are back to back 100 x 50 RHS stitch welded. Shed is going on to concrete piers which I poured last week and will have an independent wooden floor.

First question is regarding the anchoring of frames to the piers. I am using M16 chem set bolts to hold it down. I was going to install all bolts into piers first, then stand the frames up with the crane, brace them and bolt them down. Should I do it the other way and stand the frames up, position them brace and drill and then install chem sets?

I guess it all depends on how accurate the layout is and how accurately the company has made the shed.

Any thought on which method would be best?

TIA

AD

DJ’s Timber
7th June 2007, 07:28 PM
I would chemset the bolts first then stand the portal frames. Just need to be spot on with the measuring. I normally cast the bolts at the time the pads are poured and haven't had any problems.

By chemsetting the bolts first, you know that you can tighten the frames down straight away.

RufflyRustic
7th June 2007, 08:56 PM
My shed builderman used string and chalk to mark the lines on the concrete to build to. Worked really well for my shed.

Good luck with your build

cheers
Wendy

Barry_White
7th June 2007, 09:06 PM
Hey AD not to doubt your sizes but being an old shed builder are they correct because it sounds a bit under engineered for a shed of that size and at that height you would need a crane to lift the portal frames and a pretty dececent scissor lift to get to the roof apex at 8 metres.

Like Ruffly says I would set it out with chalk lines and drill the chemsets first.

bloggs1968
7th June 2007, 09:12 PM
Thankds for the replies guys and gals,

Barry,

which part do you think is undersized, the portals or the chem-sets?

Yes, a crane is being used to lift the frames - they are bloody heavy! There is a 4m long mezzanine at one end and the frames incorporate a truss type section to hold all this up and together. I have booked an all terrain scissor lift to reach the top of the shed.

Dj's

I'm with you - chem sets first.

regards,

AD

Barry_White
7th June 2007, 10:51 PM
Thankds for the replies guys and gals,

Barry,

which part do you think is undersized, the portals or the chem-sets?

I just thought that the portals even as you say 100 x 50 RHS stitch welded back to back seemed a bit light for a shed of that height unless they are actually made into a web truss.

When we built sheds of that size and even smaller sheds we used 16 mm "U" bolts 450mm long cast into the concrete piers and the piers would 600mm diam and 1800mm deep.

Although chemset anchors are good our engineer would not allow them to be used on a shed of that size.

If you have an engineers certificate for the shed you should have no problems.

Yes, a crane is being used to lift the frames - they are bloody heavy! There is a 4m long mezzanine at one end and the frames incorporate a truss type section to hold all this up and together. I have booked an all terrain scissor lift to reach the top of the shed.

Dj's

I'm with you - chem sets first.

regards,

AD

bloggs1968
7th June 2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks Barry,

Engineer has signed off on it all but I'll be happier once it is all up and finished. If anything goes wrong with the shed, I know where to send the lawyers!!

Footings are 600 diameter ( 44 gallon drums are great formwork) and some were nearly 8' deep.

3 frames are trusses and 3 are just normal frames with 120 top hats holding it all together.

regards,

AD