PDA

View Full Version : Travelling Aus with a lathe

beiffe
7th June 2007, 11:13 PM
I am considering building a trailer and taking my lathe on a big trip around Australia.
Does any one have any stories, tips etc on doing this. Looking for problems or tips on picking up wood in rest stops turning out in the bush and then selling in markets etc.
Not looking for a living just want to assist the fuel costs and have fun whilst slowly touring our great country.
Any help appreaciated

lubbing5cherubs
7th June 2007, 11:19 PM
Sound like fun. I have thought of doing something like that. The only thing you won't want to take from national park I think they might be not too happy about that.
Toni

dazzler
7th June 2007, 11:32 PM
I am considering building a trailer and taking my lathe on a big trip around Australia.

Lucky lathe :p . A dog might be better company though:D

beiffe
8th June 2007, 12:32 AM
There is lots of dry wood in the camp sites that will keep me going for as long as I like. The lathe is to use up some time and have fun. Just imagine sitting amongst the trees doing some turning in the morning and evening hours and sitting back and watch the world go by Thats is what I plan to do so if it dosnt work I will drop the trailer at my sons aand keep going

Touchwood
8th June 2007, 12:53 AM
I wonder how many times ..." mmmm just one more piece " .... would be said ... how big would the trailer need to be to carry it all (the one more pieces that is!!!).:rolleyes:

Sounds like a great idea, my parents, who have a converted 22 seater coaster have seen people doing just what your planning - solar panels for power.

Good luck to you!

JD

RETIRED
8th June 2007, 08:38 AM
I wonder how many times ..." mmmm just one more piece " .... would be said ... how big would the trailer need to be to carry it all (the one more pieces that is!!!).:rolleyes:

Sounds like a great idea, my parents, who have a converted 22 seater coaster have seen people doing just what your planning - solar panels for power.
Good luck to you!

JDYou would need a "B Double" roof full of solar panels and full of batteries to drive the lathe for any length of time.

Honda 2.0Eu generator would be needed to run the lathe. The neighbours might hate you.

dazzler
8th June 2007, 11:00 AM
You would need a "B Double" roof full of solar panels and full of batteries to drive the lathe for any length of time.

Honda 2.0Eu generator would be needed to run the lathe. The neighbours might hate you.

Or a wife with an excercise bike and a looong fan belt :D

ticklingmedusa
8th June 2007, 02:17 PM
Or a wife with an excercise bike and a looong fan belt :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D

reeves
8th June 2007, 02:40 PM
Beiffe, i think its an excellent idea and just go for it mate. Plenty of wood around for sure, plenty of markets all over the country. You'd be sure to meet people and be exposed to woods in different areas.

How would you power the lathe, generator, look for mains or some sort of solar converter. Alos naging out in caravan parks and camping ground would give ample opportunity to sell bowls and other things to locals. In fact I wish I was doing it.

have fun and make a big trailer for all the good wood you will find.

cheeeeeers
john

Barry Hicks
8th June 2007, 02:44 PM
Met a caravanner once who travelled with a mini lathe. He had replaced the 240v motor with a 12v and ran it off batteries.

Barry Hicks

Frank&Earnest
8th June 2007, 03:52 PM
Met a caravanner once who travelled with a mini lathe. He had replaced the 240v motor with a 12v and ran it off batteries.
... which would then need recharging after a couple of hours' operation. Could be useful to ensure independence from a power source for a few hours a day, but still assumes overnight recharging. Nice for short demos at the market stall, otherwise might as well do all the turning at the camp site (rules permitting).

Barry Hicks
8th June 2007, 06:14 PM
I didn't say I thought it was a great idea.........

Barry Hicks

robynmau
8th June 2007, 09:00 PM
I'm with you, can't think of anything more 'motivating' than turning under a beautiful shady tree.:2tsup:

I'll definately be doing the same thing, before the end of the year [me hopes]. Not in a position to give feedback, yet but would love to hear your 'stories' in time to come :)

I'll be looking to make pocket money from selling my pieces on the road as I think it might be unrealistic to expect anything more in Australia.

cheers

Robynmau

John Saxton
8th June 2007, 09:27 PM
Does any one have any stories, tips etc on doing this. Looking for problems or tips on picking up wood in rest stops turning out in the bush and then selling in markets etc.
Not looking for a living just want to assist the fuel costs and have fun whilst slowly touring our great country.
Any help appreaciated

Hi , did this about 12 years back but only used the lathe (miniature) in caravan parks that obviously had a power supply.
I didn't have a generator at that time so cannot give the economics on the pro's & cons of an independant power supply but this may be worth considering given that a generator gives you some independence.

I found talking to locals gave you access to plenty of turning wood particularly Woodturning clubs and shire park rangers.

The idea is to use the lathe as a means to enjoy ypourself as a "time-out" and not forgo the sights that the local area offers its not in keeping to enjoy your trip if the Woodturning facet is at the forefront of your thinking.

You would be surprised at the interest generated in caravan parks etc by someone doing some woodturning outside their trailer/caravan which can be a boon in itself as I found selling small bowls,small placemats pens just to name a few which did'n t always cover costs but helped and gave me pleasure in the bargain.

So enjoy your trip and see the sights!
Cheers:)

beiffe
8th June 2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all the posts. Just a few of my ideas / plans etc. the trailer will be 8X5 with the top built out over the wheels. stops leaning while turning as the lathe will be built into the trailer. The side doors will open out and a blind will pull out for shelter. The power will be from a 2.8 kva generator which will power the lathe and the chargers etc in the motor home. When turning I top up the home batteries etc at the same time. Solar is useless except for talking point. I can charge my batteries in three hours on generator while turning or 2 hours driving and that last three days for normall living requirements.
Intend only to turn for fun to play with all sorts of wood and enjoy the setting suns etc and give an extra excuse to sit in the bush and enjoy the scenery. Many people run generators for a short time in the afternoon for charging so we all share when there is enough power (three or four can charge with one generator) and we are usually having a chat and a beer while charging so we are not anoying anyone except our selves. Caravan parks wil be the exception not the rule. usually have about 10 days on the road in camp sites to one day in caravan parks.
just a very long dream that I want to furfill so glad I am not as mad as I thought judging by the favourable comments. Just remember if you see and old bugger on the side of the road with a pile of chips behind the trailer it might be me.
Like the idea of the bike but somehere gave a negative to the comment. Will remember for future plans we can only hope HA HA

Frank&Earnest
8th June 2007, 10:05 PM
I didn't say I thought it was a great idea.........

Barry Hicks
... I didn't say I thought it wasn't...:)

lubbing5cherubs
8th June 2007, 10:18 PM
I reckon a pen made from campsite would interest other travellers providing you kept your prices right you could give them a momento to talk about for years to come. Plus an added bonus you get to have a daily fix.
Toni