PDA

View Full Version : Repairing an old hand plane

old_picker
9th June 2007, 03:28 PM
The lateral adjusting lever is quite loose and sloppy on this plane which is in otherwise pretty good condition. Not sure how to go about replacing pin or somehow firming it up.

http://www.aargent.com.au/postings/posting_pix/flcon1.jpg

http://www.aargent.com.au/postings/posting_pix/flcon2.jpg

Any tips??

DJ’s Timber
9th June 2007, 03:53 PM
What's actually worn, the pin, the hole or a bit of both.

Could remove the pin and braze a new one in place.

Or new bigger pin and re-drill hole to match new pin

old_picker
9th June 2007, 04:23 PM
the lever has been bent about a bit and if you look at pic one you will see there aint much metal holding it in the hole. The pin was a little short to start with and when it was punched into place there wasnt much holding it so there is not enough compression to hold it solid.
Give her a bit of a twist and it would pop right off I reckon.:((

What could 'I use for a new pin?
How would I get it to hold im there?
I know JS about metalwork obviously :?

China
9th June 2007, 09:57 PM
You can buy dowel pins from blackwoods take yours in to compare size, then cut to length tidy up the end with a file, fix it in place with locktite or similar, then if you need to drill the lever to fit

Woodlee
10th June 2007, 01:07 AM
the lever has been bent about a bit and if you look at pic one you will see there aint much metal holding it in the hole. The pin was a little short to start with and when it was punched into place there wasnt much holding it so there is not enough compression to hold it solid.
Give her a bit of a twist and it would pop right off I reckon.:((

What could 'I use for a new pin?
How would I get it to hold im there?
I know JS about metalwork obviously :?

You could try a stainless steel pop rivet of the appropriate size.
Make sure its long enough to go right through the lever so the mandrel breaks off on the outside of the lever. You can peen it over after .

Kev.