PDA

View Full Version : Ziplock bag omelette

Barry Hicks
9th June 2007, 06:09 PM
This one was doing the rounds on the internet some time back, along with photos and it does work as I tried it.
You simply put your usual omelette ingredients in a ziplock bag (give them a thorough mixing in the bag) and put it in a pot of boiling water and cook for 12 minutes.
Don't get too enthusiastic, limit yourself to a two egg omelette.
More than one omelette can be cooked at the same time but make sure you buy the better grade of ziplock bags as the el cheapo bags don't go the distance and you end up with water in the bag.

Barry Hicks

Dan
9th June 2007, 06:22 PM
What size bag?:)

Barry Hicks
9th June 2007, 06:35 PM
G'day Dan
I don't think the bag size matters. I used a 200x250 cheapie because I had them but I would suggest something a little smaller.
The bottom line is, the mix doesn't expand so use whatever is convenient.

Good luck - Barry Hicks

AlexS
9th June 2007, 10:13 PM
Why would you spend 12 minutes cooking it in a plastic bag when an omlette shouldn't spend more that 30 seconds in a hot pan?

Landseka
10th June 2007, 02:22 PM
Maybe because you don't have to wash the dirty frypan and you don't injest the oil/cooking medium you use in the pan.

Best of all you can make a cuppa from the boiling water after you remove the bag. :2tsup:

Don't knock it til you try it. :-

Bleedin Thumb
10th June 2007, 03:51 PM
Cooking in a PVC bag...... give me a break... might as well stick a radioactive suppository up ya bum if you want cancer..

Ring up Glad Pty Ltd and ask if them if they recommend doing that.

Give me a smidge of olive oil any day

tameriska
10th June 2007, 04:20 PM
Well, a lot of people are buying the 'steam fresh' frozen veggies, looks like the way the worlds going.

Barry Hicks
10th June 2007, 04:34 PM
Bleedin Thumb. I read somewhere recently that Gladwrap, plastic bags etc were currently back in favour.
I think the original idea was that when you were stuck somewhere south west of Bourke and your only frying pan had been stolen by a wandering band of itinerent pen turners and you were left with a pot of boiling water, you could still have an omelette - or something like that.

Barry Hicks

jaspr
10th June 2007, 04:51 PM
Bleedin Thumb. I read somewhere recently that Gladwrap, plastic bags etc were currently back in favour.
I think the original idea was that when you were stuck somewhere south west of Bourke and your only frying pan had been stolen by a wandering band of itinerent pen turners and you were left with a pot of boiling water, you could still have an omelette - or something like that.

Barry Hicks

It's also a great idea for light weight bushwaking.

woodbe
10th June 2007, 04:53 PM
Cooking in a PVC bag...... give me a break... might as well stick a radioactive suppository up ya bum if you want cancer..

Ring up Glad Pty Ltd and ask if them if they recommend doing that.

Give me a smidge of olive oil any day

ha ha. Post of the day! :)

I agree with you Bleedin Thumb. I do remember hearing that the makeup of gladwrap etc had changed some time ago from PVC to Polyethylene, and it's apparently safer, but I still don't like the idea. PVC on the other hand is definitely a no-no.

woodbe.

Bleedin Thumb
10th June 2007, 07:24 PM
Barry & Woodbe yeh OK It might not be PVC but... I dont even like putting Gladwrap over my microwave food (only use that for reheating leftovers). and If I was stuck out Back of Burke I would scramble my eggs on the bonnet of my car!

Jasper whats so light weight about carting a pot's worth of water so you can boil your scrambled eggs?

Tam.. not me, TV diners are not on my menu I'm afraid. Its all about how you fold your scrambled eggs without letting them burn or dry out.... an artform in itself.

Like all cooking its the process that is the most enjoyable part. My chicken soup takes 4 hrs to prepare and less that 15 minutes to consume! I could buy it in a can.. but ... if you ever tasted my chicken soup you would know what I was taking about.

Barry Hicks
10th June 2007, 08:39 PM
Bleedin Thumb, Sydney is a little too far to travel to taste your chicken soup so how about giving us your recipe? I have showed you mine so how about showing yours?

Barry Hicks