PDA

View Full Version : Probly been posted before

Jedo_03
9th June 2007, 10:05 PM
As I say... probly everyone already knows about this CS slabber...
but I didn't - and there may be others that don't...
the CS isn't horizontal. . .
cheers
Jedo

edit: $50 USD

DJ’s Timber
9th June 2007, 10:15 PM
Do we have a pic or link here Jedo

martrix
9th June 2007, 10:16 PM
:screwy: ......:? ........:q

Ramps
10th June 2007, 12:17 AM
Doesn't look like value for money to me. :p

Wild Dingo
10th June 2007, 02:31 AM
As I say... probly everyone already knows about this CS slabber...
but I didn't - and there may be others that don't...
the CS isn't horizontal. . .
cheers
Jedo

edit: $50 USD

Now thats about the wierdest post Jedos made :o ... me Im always making weird posts but Jedos usually one of the more sorta together type posters on the forum :2tsup: ... maybe he mistook that weed down by the shed that he burnt as some sort of weed that wouldnt affect him but did :C ... cops do that lots too... you know usually pretty together sorta blokes but once they start burnin all that weed they take outta the carefully planted and cared for plantations in the bush they end up sayin an doing weird things... one of those weeds :U

Soo hes posted this and thinks hes done a great thing by showin us the pic of the slabber without actually puttin the pic in... but I bet he checked... and I bet when he did it was definantly there... hallucinations ol man... maybe those mushys yer had with yer bacon an eggs this mornin were the gold top variety? :U

Jedo_03
14th June 2007, 10:34 PM
LOL

here tis
actually two of em, both said to come in at under $50 USD
" Neither of the tools tested-the Haddon Lumbermaker and the Bushpilot Beam Machine-retails for over $50. That means, at least hypothetically, that milling just a few boards, or even fewer heavy beams, could pay off either of these tools in its first day of use.
from http://www.motherearthnews.com/Homesteading-and-Self-Reliance/1984-09-01/Mother-Tests-Two-Chain-Saw-Mini-Mills.aspx

homesite for the haddon lumbermaker also has a 2.4 Mb demo vid
http://www.haddontools.com/lumbermaker.html
but price on the site is "the HADDON LUMBERMAKER. - $84.95
Plus $11.00 S&H"
sorry...:B
Jedo

BobL
14th June 2007, 11:40 PM
LOL
here tis
actually two of em, both said to come in at under $50 USD
" Neither of the tools tested-the Haddon Lumbermaker and the Bushpilot Beam Machine-retails for over $50. That means, at least hypothetically, that milling just a few boards, or even fewer heavy beams, could pay off either of these tools in its first day of use.
from http://www.motherearthnews.com/Homesteading-and-Self-Reliance/1984-09-01/Mother-Tests-Two-Chain-Saw-Mini-Mills.aspx

homesite for the haddon lumbermaker also has a 2.4 Mb demo vid
http://www.haddontools.com/lumbermaker.html
but price on the site is "the HADDON LUMBERMAKER. - $84.95
Plus $11.00 S&H"
sorry...:B
Jedo

That has to be one of the least useful reviews of milling implements I have ever read. There are no images and there is no real detail. The article appears to be catering to city-greenies who don't really expect to get their hands dirty! BTW did you notice the date of publication? Like 1984! No wonder they priced the mills at under $50! This is typical of a lot of tripe being regurgitated on the web - isn't it wonderful how web always has the latest stuff!

joe greiner
15th June 2007, 12:32 AM
The manufacturer's site has a few pics. But it's just a right-angle thing clamped to the bar and riding on a plank. Probably have a sweet old time making it run true.

Joe

Jedo_03
15th June 2007, 08:17 PM
LOL
well, there ya go...
"ATOMIC BOMB SCIENTIST PRESSES WRONG BUTTON - AGAIN"

well - I never noticed the date... just intrigued by the concept - so simple... and that was the reason I referenced the article - because it was underscoring the simplicity of the gadgets...
made me wonder whether it was possible to adapt the design of a circular saw or a jigsaw - with the chainsaw attached to a footplate (fence)...

just looking at the haddon - provided you could keep the guide plate firm against the 3" x 1" plank (or whatever size it was) the cut would be pretty straight - straighter than a free-hand cut - problem I saw was that you'd have to pay attention to keeping the plate firm up against the plank and at the same time pay attention to what the chainsaw was doing.... FFFFFFfffff... (ingressive airstream)

Now, just suppose there was a way of anchoring the guide to the plank - say like rollers on the guide running in tracks (T-Tracks) along the top and underneath (or on the vertical edges of the plank...
Hmmm - what if you substituted the plank with a length of ally... old window frame comes to mind here... fix tracks to that...

What if the guide (bought as-is) could be fitted with bearings to run along a 10 ft long rigid frame... fix the log under the frame...

Better stop there before I press the wrong button again... But like I said..."Probly been posted before..."
cheers
Jedo

joe greiner
16th June 2007, 01:06 AM
Can't find the links now, but two similar contraptions come to mind:

One, similar to haddon but more substantial base, rides on a track that looks a lot like an extension ladder on sawhorses. Bar and chain hang down to the log.

The other is a chain saw accessory that attaches to a circular saw. More often used in demolition or wall cutouts, I think.

Joe

soundman
17th June 2007, 12:37 AM
Hmm
The hanlon lumbermaker looks prety simple..... hell it just might work?

There are a number of more advanced rail mills available... but they are much more expensive.
I think wesford used to do one.

cheers

soundman
24th June 2007, 11:56 PM
here is sombody selling one similar in australia.
it looks like a sole plate & fence arrangement to go on a chain saw.
have a look here
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GB-Vertical-Mill-Fits-all-chainsaws_W0QQitemZ160131044614QQihZ006QQcategoryZ42227QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cheers

Jedo_03
25th June 2007, 07:54 AM
looks that simple I think I could manage that...
CS is vertical - so no oil feeder add ons
operator is on the "safe" side of the log
I assume the kicker bar would still work. . .
notice they have a steel girder for the guide to run on... wonder how they fix that to the log...
$149 start price... 6 days to go
what do others reckon...
cheers
Jedo

soundman
25th June 2007, 12:44 PM
looks very simple.
I think this version looks better made and the blade clamp looks more secure.

I'm not real keen on the side handle.. but I remain to be convinced

Either way it is going to be hard work and will need some " skill and presence of mind".

the screw the bar down with.... screws..... like you do with any of the similar mills.

For anybody with a half decent metal shop it would be a doddle to make.

looks very simple....... perhaps too simple....... who's going to be the guinea pig.

cheers

Jedo_03
25th June 2007, 07:53 PM
part of what I was getting at in the original part of this thread was that "somebody" (somebody more innovative than me) would come up with a similar sort of thing to the haddon gadget... Y'know - oh just buy a bit of steel plate X by Y, coupla nuts and bolts, drill here, and here & here and stihl's yer uncle... I mean plenty "somebodys" made their own alaskan mills. Just that I lack any kind of steel-knowledge re plate thickness, nut and bolt specs, where and how to fix the CS to the guide, etc etc...
Also waiting to hear from "somebody" who has one of this type - or has tried one... surely "somebody" has - or knows "somebody" who has...
Meanwhile, I'm watching Ebay...
cheers
Jedo

echnidna
25th June 2007, 09:54 PM
Watch ebay worldide not just oz and look at the stores too.
Theres a yank who sells a similar thing and his prices & postage are good. Get the complete thing including postage for about $85au

echnidna
25th June 2007, 09:57 PM
Have a look at this, postage to me is $37.50au
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-CHAINSAW-LOG-MILL-CHAIN-SAW-LUMBER-MAKER-ATTACHMENT_W0QQitemZ270121442425QQihZ017QQcategoryZ57111QQcmdZViewItem

Jedo_03
25th June 2007, 10:37 PM
Bob
Did you buy one...
I guess that you did...
what's it like...
does it do the job..
are you recommending it...
what's the Pro's - and Con's
$80-odd Aud is good
I have a 16" McCulloch - (still in it's box yet...)
I have several (many) recently-cut logs of camphor laurel...
some trunk (400-500mm wide), some limbs 1500long x 200-300mm
Probaly can't do 'much' with the trunk - for now...
But sure as hill would venture milling the limbs...
Lady who's giving me all this 'only' wants me to "make something" from the timber to 'remind' her this was once her tree in the yard...
Thanks for sharing that..
cheers
jedo