10th June 2007, 08:14 PM
any other fans out their

Bluegum
11th June 2007, 08:31 PM
Yes mate, where do we start? Been a big fan for many years. :2tsup:

bitingmidge
10th August 2007, 08:37 PM
Hehe, all alone at home tonight.

The girls are all out there fitting wedding dresses and stuff like that.

I hope the neighbours don't mind a dose of Slim's music, 'cos the Bose is Cranked up to 80 out of 100 and the Slim Dusty Tribute Concert DVD is on the Teev!

Poor old tele doesn't know what hit it, there's usually a murder for it to solve this time of night!

:D :D :D
P

Doughboy
10th August 2007, 08:49 PM
Slims original playing offsider died not too long ago. His name was Shorty Ranger AKA Edwin Haberfield. Two mates up there looking down on all those of us willing to play the special music they were akin to.

weisyboy
17th August 2007, 08:34 PM
i have over 300 of his songs and am still finding more.

Lignum
17th August 2007, 08:45 PM
i have over 300 of his songs and am still finding more.

I think its time you got a life:rolleyes: Have you ever thought of listening to some decent music:D

weisyboy
18th August 2007, 01:23 PM
i do listen to decent music maby you should try it some time.

munruben
18th August 2007, 02:20 PM
Sure I liked Slims music. He was a legend and I had the pleasure of seeing him on many occasions when I was traveling with my work in Australia back in the 1960s. He stayed on the local caravan parks in those days on his tours with his own caravan. Had the pleasure of speaking with him and seeing him perform and it will be a long time before there is another Slim Dusty, if ever.
Good onya Slim:2tsup:

weisyboy
18th August 2007, 07:16 PM
none will ever be as good as slim.

unfortunatly i never got to meet him.

windbreaker
18th August 2007, 09:00 PM
Slim really was a nice bloke.

His music is timeless and so "us" in Australia. I'll bet anyone can find a Slim song that relates to them at some stage in their life.

Talk about favourites. Every full moon I pull out "dusty tracks" and play "when the moon across the bushland beams", A haunting song with guitar and fiddle mainly. Camoweel is another. There are too many.

He rarely had a bad word about others. However he didn't approve of Aussies singing "American" as a lot do and he didn't really approve of those assies who bunged on a too blatant aussie accent either. You may know who I mean. He was reluctant to say so because he was such a nice guy but In a quiet moment He did admit it.

He was a great family man who used to take his kids everywhere he could and showed them what a great country we live in.

With his wife along side him he bought so much pleasure to so many people for many many years. And still to come.

What a great Aussie!!

WB

weisyboy
19th August 2007, 09:10 PM
forget about elvis slim is the one true King

Wild Dingo
22nd August 2007, 09:48 PM
Saw Slim play the Materanka pub years ago... then in Derby at the Spini then in Broome at the Roebuck at Meekatharra at the old Railway... gawd I must have seen him at least 10 times over the years... best concert money could buy... brilliant!!

Biggest loss in Aussie and world music in my book... well him and Billy Thorpe Mark Hunter and Shirl of course but different types of music but then Im pretty eclectic with my music... I like anything even Lee Kernigan!! :o and some American musos :o even some pommy ones!! :o :o I know I know so shoot me! :doh:

Bluegum
23rd August 2007, 08:21 PM
Saw Slim twice live and both times he signed CD's for me. I like many we dexistated at the loss of the greattest country singer we have ever seen. I know that Lee Kernegan is being called the king of of country music now, but as much as Don't mind some of his stuff there will only be one Slim Dusty.

Christopha
23rd August 2007, 09:01 PM
I thought this was a music forum? How come Slum Daggy gets a mention?? I typed this reeeaaal slow like so youse country moosick fans could keep up....

weisyboy
23rd August 2007, 09:50 PM
at least we can understand the words and it dosent send us deaf.

Lignum
23rd August 2007, 09:52 PM
I would rather be deaf, than die of boredom:rolleyes::)

watson
23rd August 2007, 10:29 PM
Like it or lump it....100 plus albums......some bugger must buy them!
Anyway.....my bit of Slim trivia....
Did you know that Slim Dusty was a Trekkie????

windbreaker
29th August 2007, 10:21 PM
Don't know about Trekkie, but certainly a Truckie (well he towed a caravan and sang about trucks. And yeah, he has been photographed next to a truck)

WB

Chris Parks
31st August 2007, 04:01 PM
Like it or lump it....100 plus albums......some bugger must buy them!
Anyway.....my bit of Slim trivia....
Did you know that Slim Dusty was a Trekkie????

Ah! That explains Star Trucker. He was the best and every song told a story. Was he a C & W singer or a balladeer or the latter utilising C & W? My son (19) who is into hard rock music and RAP even likes him and actively collects his music. I think he was better in later years as his voice changed somewhat and he used more modern instruments. The electric guitar work on some of his later albums was fantastic.

watson
31st August 2007, 07:25 PM
Good One Chris,
All those late nights, after a show, in motels or caravan parks, the only thing on TV would be Star Trek.
And I would call him a Bush Balladeer.

GDL
31st August 2007, 08:53 PM
Good One Chris,
All those late nights, after a show, in motels or caravan parks, the only thing on TV would be Star Trek.
And I would call him a Bush Balladeer.

Trumby was a ringer, a good one to at that
He could rake and ride a twister, throw a rope and fancy platt
He could counterline a saddle , track a man lost in the night
Trumby was a good boy, but he could'nt read or write

weisyboy
1st September 2007, 10:45 PM
baladeer for sure.

he wasent pedaling none of that westurn crap.

wheelinround
1st September 2007, 10:50 PM
Only Liked some of his stuff more
More a beer box beater follower Ted Egan

Ashore
1st September 2007, 11:03 PM
Yep I'm another twisted branch on the good old family tree:rolleyes:

Chris Parks
1st September 2007, 11:04 PM
The first time I heard Ted Egan I couldn't believe how he could make that beer carton into an instrument. He in his own right is a bit of a genius for that alone. I would like to see him on a full set of drums.

Cliff Rogers
2nd September 2007, 12:30 AM
Long (alcohol soaked) story to follow.

I don't dislike it, but, I grew up with it. :rolleyes:

I can also play a guitar & C&W is dead easy to play along with. :cool:

Now, back to the story...

Not long before our dearly departed, I enter a radio competition to guess the mystery voice.

The voice said (in a dead pan monotone) "I can't let you do that"
The clues were...
From a movie.
'This character could have been male or female when it was cast'

Let me know if you can't figure out who it was.
(I'll give ya hint, it wasn't Slim)

I won. What did I win?
A CD with 25 of the very best of Slim Dusty. :doh:

Surely to dog they could have tried harder to match the prize to the question. :rolleyes:

Anyway... is anybody still reading this?

The dead obvious track that was missing off the CD was bloody 'Trumby.' :no:

weisyboy
2nd September 2007, 10:01 AM
there are 2 verry best of slim dusty albums ones marone and the other is black most of the songs are the same apart from 2 or 3 trumby is on 1 of them.:2tsup:

windbreaker
6th September 2007, 10:50 PM
I, for one, refuse to let this thread die like all others die.

WB

watson
6th September 2007, 10:58 PM
Slim's passed on too.

windbreaker
8th September 2007, 10:45 PM
Alas

WB

neilb
10th September 2007, 08:32 AM
No one will ever become the legend as Slim deservedly was. It was a sad day when he passed away. The rain tumbled down in July but the tears tumbled down in September.

Does anyone have a video copy of his funeral service? I missed half of it at the time. Slim is the King of Country music and no one around now comes even close to wearing that title. :no:
Neil.