PDA

View Full Version : Easy (er) Perspex cleaning and use

Nick Moore
15th August 2003, 11:25 AM
i've done lots of specialized perspex/ plastic/ polycarb work...

To remove that old paper coat on old stored perpex..

For most cases
SIMPLY

heat with a hot air gun or heat source.

Use some discretion re heat temp and if you are normally lucky, it will peel off like new paper..

start on one corner then you should if careful get a big section to strip away... easy... no stress no time wasting.

leave coating on as long as possible before use to stop scratches.

PLUS an extra tip.
Most people don't realise that you can scrape away at stubborn paper on perspex if need be with

another piece of the same perpex material..
as it isn't harder, it won't scratch.. just shape scraper with a smoth bevel edge.

If you use polycarb though, its softer and scratches more readily.

But you CAN bendpolycarb in a vyce or bender for guards , covers etc.. if its too thick relieve the bend line with a score, recess cut.

Shane Watson
15th August 2003, 10:40 PM
Or you could just take the easy way and wipe the paper down lightly with turps then peel off......

peter mikk
21st August 2003, 09:19 AM
re plastic
i am after translucent plastic with colour about 3-5mm thick, must be flexible, i have never used the stuff so i don't know anything about this type material any help much appreciated. also approx $m2 price.

Theva
21st August 2003, 10:02 AM
Peter,

Local Mitre10 had two versions; both clear perspex.

3-5 mm thick - app $45 per sq m, cut sheets only. It is flexible; as flexible as thick perspex can be.

Thinner version is about 1-2mm thich, 1m wide, for $19 per m. This was flexible enough to make a cyclone cone.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,
Theva

Nick Moore
22nd August 2003, 12:32 PM
If you're after smaller bits try local signwriters that build sign boxes.
Often they will sell you offcuts.
Likewise local glass suppliers. Often they will do plastics work and may have offcuts.

Ps if you're going to drill for eg screw mounts,, some things to consider...
don't drill too close to edges >may crack.

Also back offie blunten cutting edges of drill you wish to use to reduce cracking too.
Try to drill will a scrap wood under eg mdf for similar reasons..
Nick
Tassie