PDA

View Full Version : One of my brief ventures away from photography

Stuart
11th June 2007, 02:00 PM
Done using willow charcoal - they rarely get to see the light of day, so don't expect much.

If I find them, I'll post a couple of my earlier attempts from when I had more than 2 seconds to rub together!

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/%7Estuart.lees/occipital/Pages/Art/images/Arum%20Lily.jpg

This one was done for an online photo comp site I occasionally frequent - two of us decided to have a head-to-head challenge in a different media.

DJ’s Timber
11th June 2007, 02:20 PM
Looks good Stuart, at least a lot better then I could hope to do.

ps good to see you back

chrisb691
11th June 2007, 04:41 PM
Looks good.

Welcome back!!!! :2tsup:

Big Shed
11th June 2007, 04:46 PM
Nice work Stuart, bit confused though. You say they are done in charcoal for a PHOTO competition?

Great to see you back on the forum, look forward to your contributions.

Sturdee
11th June 2007, 05:51 PM
welcome back Stuart. Great to see you back.

Peter.

jaspr
11th June 2007, 06:07 PM
Good to hear from you again, Stuart - and see some of your artwork.

ozwinner
11th June 2007, 08:21 PM
Dont give up your day job Stu....:U

Al :)

bitingmidge
11th June 2007, 08:31 PM
occasionally frequent

Err Stu..... :?

Many Happy Returns! :D :D

P

RufflyRustic
11th June 2007, 08:35 PM
Hi Stuart, Nothing like coming back with a beautiful picture for us. :) :2tsup:

Gotta love those lillies. They look similar to the ones I had as my wedding bat er, bouquet :)

cheers
Wendy

chrisb691
11th June 2007, 08:47 PM

Many Happy Returns! :D :D

P

Is it his birthday? Should we start a separate HB thread then? :U

Stuart
11th June 2007, 11:55 PM
Nice work Stuart, bit confused though. You say they are done in charcoal for a PHOTO competition?

Great to see you back on the forum, look forward to your contributions.
Yeah - we were having a few head-to-heads (ie one-on-one comps), and decided to see what each other could do without a camera.

As you can see, I am still heavily influenced by my B&W photography, drawing shadows to define form, rather than trying to draw light. Working on the premise that pure reflected light is the white of the paper, so anything darker than that is a shade of shadow. Obviously, I never when to art school- the concept is mine, and as I said, is grounded in my attempts to paint with light, using a camera as a brush.

Dont give up your day job Stu....:U

Al :)

Damn - was hoping this could be a new career. Guess I'll keep looking!

P

Err, yeah - was using the verb form of the word, but by definition, it implies the adjective at the same time (I checked :roll: ) So kinda stuffed that one - oh well, one of many (and many to come too I imagine)

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Harry72
13th June 2007, 12:29 AM
Looks good Stu, good to see you posting again mate.

jmk89
13th June 2007, 07:03 AM
You have more talent at drawing than I do - so my congratulations on your work are perhaps worth little.

And glad to have you back here - the orange world needs you!

billbeee
13th June 2007, 08:57 AM
Hey Stuart,
Good stuff, do more of it. You never know you may get hooked.
Charcoal is magic stuff, line or just tone, whatever way you want to go.

I got hooked on drawing after years of darkroom photography, and competitions. I must admit though, I have not given up my day job yet.

I took a couple of sketchbooks on holiday with me last year and really enjoyed it. Concentrates your mind, fixes the scene in your memory.

Next time, if I am game enough I'll leave the camera at home.
I met a German guy in Laos who was a professional photographer who had not brought a single camera with him. He said a "holiday is a holiday".

Some more of my stuff here.

http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/drawing.html

Cheers
Bill.