PDA

View Full Version : Carbatec

kenmil
15th August 2003, 02:04 PM
I broke my own rule today, and went to Carbatec to see if I could get a router table insert plate for the router table I am building.

After explaining to the young bloke what it was - not a good start - he declared that they only sold the Rout-R-Lift plate, as per page 24 of their catalogue.

He then proceeded to tell me how I could cut a piece of metal from a 44 gallon drum to make my own plate - stop laughing, he was serious !!

That did it for me. I will never spend another cent with those idiots again. They simply do not deserve my business.:(

Wood Borer
15th August 2003, 02:14 PM
Ken,

I have more than often expressed similar opinions about them on this board. The frustrating thing is that they are not rude. If they were rude it would be easier to give them a verbal blast.

I deal with MIK now and enjoy good prices and good service and they enjoy receiving probably close to a couple of thousand dollars per year from me.

- Wood Borer

kenmil
15th August 2003, 02:21 PM
Wood Borer,

I agree with you. I also deal with MIK, and I must say they have the best service I have found, at least in Australia. Prompt delivery and nothing is too much trouble.

P.S. Just called MIK, and a Trend router plate insert is on its way in tonight's mail for the princely sum of $6 postage. Should have gone to them in the first place ! I am going to give myself a serious talking to later.

journeyman Mick
15th August 2003, 02:59 PM
Brilliant idea, but he didn't take it far enough! Just think a cheap, sturdy router table, just cut a large hole in the side for access, a hole in the top for the bit, a couple of countersunk machine screws throught the top to hold the router in place and voila! a router table. Just screw a couple of pieces of star picket on top for a fence and you're away!:D :D :D

Mick

Wood Borer
15th August 2003, 03:07 PM
If you seal the drum properly you could turn it into a cyclone. May have to make the upper part conical but a cut here and there with an angle grinder, tie it together with a bit of 8 gauge and she'll be apples.

- Wood Borer

George
15th August 2003, 03:18 PM
Are Triton already selling an orange version of this?

kenmil
15th August 2003, 04:21 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

Dan
15th August 2003, 04:37 PM
You mean like this?

Sir Stinkalot
15th August 2003, 04:40 PM
Where is MIK?

I am still concerned with the price of items at Carbatec .... for example:
Forstner Bit Extension Bar at Timbecon $23.90
Carbatec: From memory (reading the catalouge last night and don't have it with me now) around $30.00

I know that it is only a few dollars difference and when you calculate in the postage it will work out the same but hey I am going to support the cheaper one and to hell with the postage. It seems backwards that things should be cheaper in WA than the Eastern Sea Board.

WHY???????

:mad:

kenmil
15th August 2003, 06:05 PM
Stinky,

You will find MIK here

www.mik.com.au

Enjoy.

Sir Stinkalot
15th August 2003, 06:11 PM
Thanks Ken,

I did find it and had a look .... I will have to request a printed catalouge until the entire range is put on the net. It is quite a nice little site however.

Stinky.

John Saxton
15th August 2003, 10:50 PM
Crikey Stinky, I'm surprised you didn't Know about MIK over there in Adelaide!
Renowned for top quality gear as you have no doubt found out about.
Actually spoke to Michael at the Perth WW show today.get to know him ,he'll look after you as he does with all his clientele.
Looked at the complete range of handplanes he carries from the wooden EME to the Lie Nielsen and Clifton...he is perhaps the foremost in OZ for carrying top quality tools!

Cheers:)

Wild Dingo
19th August 2003, 08:40 PM
Damn!! I missed yer John! ...but then I got there Sunday at 11.30 and had to leave in a rush at 1.30 when one of my kids got crook and ended up at the hospital so barely got time to phart before havin to bolt... got me a nice fancy whang dang doodle of a table saw but!! HA! ... Those fellas at Timbercon got me! :D Just spent the day setting it up and gawd!!! Does it make a hell of a difference to using the hand circular saw!!! :cool: Also managed to hook a couple of old "antique" planes and spokeshaves!! sharper than yer average razor blade these buggars ;)

As this was my first show and as I said I was only there for a short while... but was I impressed!... excellent displays excellent range and other than the crowd it was terrific! I tell yer what though!... I got a heck of a surprise a good one at that I was looking at gettin one of those Woodmizer horizontal bandsaws a wee while back but at 15000 for the smallest Id about given up and thought of a Alaskan mill or Lucus Mill but found another horizontal bandsaw and this one is Aussie builded and available at 9000!!! so... buggar Woodmizer! ;)

Yes I may be easily impressed but this was great! :cool: Next year I will be more organamanized and spend a bit more time! and try to meet some of you fellas!!... AND by gar them kids better stay bloody healthy while Im there or there will be hell to pay!!!:mad: I was impressed :cool:

alf t
20th August 2003, 03:14 PM
That picture looks awfully like Roger Gifkin using an Incra Dovetail Jig !!!!!

Alf

John G
21st August 2003, 01:47 PM
"a Trend router plate insert is on its way in tonight's mail for the princely sum of $6 postage"

Kenmil, is this a typo?
I'm just looking at MIK website and the Trend insert is listed as $109. Me confused...

I assume your bad experience was at the Carbatec in Richmond?

George
21st August 2003, 01:54 PM
$6 for the postage I think.

George

Wood Borer
21st August 2003, 02:13 PM
$6.00 is cheap to send a 44 gallon drum from Adelaide!! - must be an empty one.

- Wood Borer

kenmil
21st August 2003, 05:49 PM
Yes, that was the postage cost. Arrived Monday in the usual efficient MIK manner, and it will go in on the weekend.

George
21st August 2003, 05:54 PM
Ken,
What are making the table top out of?

Cheers

George

kenmil
21st August 2003, 08:36 PM
Two sheets of 19mm MDF faced with melamine. Joined with contact cement and screwed together from beneath, then edged with a hardwood strip.

The area around the insert will be further supported by 3mm aluminium angle strips to prevent sagging/twisting. You can see them in this pic.

kenmil
21st August 2003, 08:39 PM
Pic

Wayne Davy
22nd August 2003, 12:09 AM
Ken,

Nice looking Router table! - bit of inspiration from Norm's me thinks ;)

Termite
22nd August 2003, 09:06 AM
Well after being mucked around by everybody in general I decided to lash out the princeley sum of $12.50 on a piece of 10mm acrylic. With rapidly beating heart I proceeded to make my own insert plate with and for my Triron router. Voila!
I reckon after doing this that if you dont have the skill to make your own plate, then you have no business using a router table in the first place.
So there.
Regards
Termite

kenmil
24th August 2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Wayne Davy
Ken,

Nice looking Router table! - bit of inspiration from Norm's me thinks ;)

No Wayne, the plan was straight from an "American Woodworker" plan which was contained in the book "Woodworking with the Router". I adjusted a few things as I went along, such as the height, but I basically followed their plans. I put the insert plate in yesterday, (slightly damaged where the router tried to eat it) and finished off the top with the Incra Ultra Lite. Now to start routing.

kenmil
24th August 2003, 11:50 AM
The finished product looks like this

Sprog
24th August 2003, 05:17 PM
Anyone interested in the insert can get the exact same one from Jesada for $64.40 plus postage RTI-001

http://www.jesada.com/australia/mall/Web_store/web_store.cgi?page=pro_router_table_system.html&&cart_id=119991_29557

kenmil
24th August 2003, 05:42 PM
Except they don't have any, and don't know when they will !

Sprog
24th August 2003, 08:25 PM
Doesn't sound like Jesada to me, I have always found them to be extremely helpful and professional!

kenmil
24th August 2003, 09:24 PM
I suggest you read the previous post on Jesada. They appear to be anything but professional, although their products are excellent.

Sprog
27th August 2003, 12:17 PM
My experience with Jesada is that they are professional and helpful, reading someone elses post of their experience will not change my experience so this is all I can comment on.

kenmil
27th August 2003, 06:02 PM
Whatever:confused:

Neil
28th August 2003, 03:29 AM
Think you will find they are not unprofessional just closed down. At least that is what I have been told. So, if you are waiting for a reply from them or products, you may have a bit of a wait.

Neil :D

Wayne Davy
3rd September 2003, 04:57 PM
Ken,

Router table looks great mate!!
;)

kenmil
3rd September 2003, 05:50 PM
Thanks Wayne,
I actually routed something on it at the weekend, and it seems to work ok.:)

John Saxton
3rd September 2003, 09:39 PM
Just to detract a bit here guy's,if Jesada have closed down as per Neil's post I'm SURPRISED THEY DIDN'T fulfil their local customers enquiries ...or at least refer them to the parent outfit in Florida.

Bloody poor service in my view and as a consequence CMT have got my money for the bits to carry out a task that has been waiting on a Jesada response.

No wonder they closed down with ignorance of clientele needs.

Cheers:)