PDA

View Full Version : Orbost to Mt Gambier

Iain
11th June 2007, 04:42 PM
Used to travel a lot and have some of the places I used to stay with comments:
Mt Gambier-Silver Birch Motel, edge of town, main road but get a unit on a side street and all is well, avoid the two storey dogbox at the side.
Restaurant was good and prices reasonable, hosts were good.

Mortlake- alittle out of the way but a comfortable place was 'the stables' 3 or 4 motel units at the back of the pub.
Motel was clean and comfortable but the pub food was a bit ordinary, host was excellent and prices were good.

Nicholson River Hotel Motel- reasonable prices with an extensive menu in the lounge, good selection of wines and imported beers, excellent host, nice views of the river from the motel but trucks a bit noisy at about 4 am.
A lot cheaper and quieter than going to Bairnsdale which was only about 10 minutes away.

Warrnambool-any of the motels on the east side of town were pretty good and plenty of restaurants in town, I used to haunt Jo Bangles which had a marvellous woodfired gourmet pizza selection, and home delivery too.

Donald, I used to stay in the Motel on the west side of town, had a chinese restaurant next door which was bloody awful, choose any of the pubs in town for a reasonable meal, prices were good and cheap which kept my boss happy.

There used to be a good motel in Kerang but I believe it has since closed down, a big white place on the highway, someone may eleborate on this.

Used to love Thursday, that was home:D