PDA

View Full Version : Hebbel blocks outside.

Bleedin Thumb
13th June 2007, 12:38 PM
I have just designed a "Discovery Wall" for a playground used by 0-2 yr olds. It will be covered with tactile tiles, incorporate glass bricks, window frames etc. It will sit 800mm high.

The site is a real bugger for access so I want to specify hebbel blocks, Ive never used them outside but remember hearing that they are OK.

So 1. Is this right? Are there issues with water penetration? will it mean that I have problems with tile adhesive?

2. Are there any community artists that would like to contribute to this project -Sydney Inner west, this is a paying job, not a freebie. The same job needs Kinetic and Aural Skulptures and some totem poles and possibly a mural. PM me if you are interested.

Cheers in advance.

myla
14th June 2007, 09:04 PM
hello,

i would stick with 20.01 besser block, core filled with starter bars

main reason if kids are going to climbing over etc,

with Hebel you can only have damp proof course at one location the bottom so if soil higher than this an issue with moisture arises

thankyou

myla

Bleedin Thumb
28th June 2007, 10:43 AM
Hi sorry to take so long to get back to this.

The wall is only 800 high,freestanding in a playground. 0 -2 year olds won't be able to climb a 800 wall (hopefully) and a think a reinforced core filled block wall may be a bit of an overkill...

So has anyone used hebel outside? They use them on those backyard blitz type shows ..... which is no testiment to longevity I know.

I think the blocks will be ok but is the mortar (glue) up to the task and is there a glue that I could use to stick tiles to the wall that won't mind the damp substrate?

myla
28th June 2007, 01:36 PM
hello,

the thing with the hebel is that when u lay the first course on mortar to level the block it is only sitting there because of its own weight

if you have no corners or returns in it, it would be very easy to push over

therefore, if you want to use the hebel i would put starter bars into the footing spaced about 900mm apart, drill through the block, place over and fill with glue

the glue is actually stronger then the block, and you would damage block b4 glue joint, the block wont disappear because of the weather, they absorb moisture just like concrete bricks/blocks

with tile adhesive the hebel is a very dry surface, so it will dry out the adhesive when putting tiles directly onto hebel

so have to brush walls heaps, only apply adhesive to small area at a time

I would use the more expensive ABA brand bag mixes for waterproof areas

maybe some stones around the base of the wall for drainage, as any moisture issue will be at the base of the wall or top of wall if allowed to puddle

thankyou

myla

ozwinner
28th June 2007, 06:05 PM
and a think a reinforced core filled block wall may be a bit of an overkill...

Lets hope that doesnt happen.

I would have gone for the starter bars too seeing as how kiddies are going to be on the thing.

Cover all bases and your are.se.

Al :)

pharmaboy2
29th June 2007, 07:41 PM
Hiya, have built one on top of my garage, i drilled 12mm holes in the concrete roof, and chemset 450mm starter bars every 800m centre. Then drilled out the hebel block witha 25mm spade bit, and laid over starter bars. at each course, I filled the hole (25mm is bigger than the 12mm starter reo) with sand/cement mix.

This was what I was advised by the engineer who works for the suppliers of hebel in my town.

All I did was give it an undercoat as protection (one of these days I'll finish the job111)

Its not stable enough on its own as a freestanding wall (neither is brick work for that matter) IMO. good product though, and hell easy to lay compared to blocks.