PDA

View Full Version : Wide Belt Sanders Wot Does Everyone Think???

brian mcmillan
14th June 2007, 03:01 PM
any suggestions for wide belt sanders? i need to be able to sand at minimam 600mm wide. but im not sure wot way to go, be it an open end sander or what.

im also not sure on prices either.

wot does everyone think?

Cliff Rogers
14th June 2007, 08:17 PM
What is the application?

You can get wide drum sanders & a couple of the members on here have made their own wide drum sander.

ian
14th June 2007, 09:44 PM
how thick a piece do you want to pass through the sander?

Wayne Davy
14th June 2007, 10:04 PM
I have a Carbatec 400mm Open ended Drum Sander and love it.

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180_430_2940_2950

Got it years back at the Bris show for LOTS less than list and included the stand.

Trick was to 'Tune' it a lot - but this is the same for any large tool really - cheap or expensive.

echnidna
14th June 2007, 10:16 PM
Are you considering a wide belt sander or drum sander.
Theres a lot of difference in price & performance

brian mcmillan
15th June 2007, 01:41 AM
Well Not Sure Which Way I Was Gonna Go (wide Belt Or Drum) I Think Im Leaning Towards A Wide Belt.

I Want It To Be Able To Do A 600 Wide Top In One Pass And Weather I Get Something Open Ended So I Can Do Up To 1200 Wolld Be Nice For Table Tops But I Dont Really Know And I Want It To Do Up To 200 Thick Just Incase I Need To Sand Pedastols And Stuff Down The Track. That Is If They Make Anything Suitable.

rod1949
15th June 2007, 11:26 AM
In doing some forward planning for furniture I want to make, about 3 years ago I brought a SMF-TETRAD from this mob http://www.surcare.com/products.htm .

My reasoning for going this way was that widebelts are restricted to their width and wider the machine the bigger the dollars.

At the time of purchase the local agent (Perth) wanted $1,400, but something made me contact Surcare to find they were running a special and I got it delivered to Perth for under $1,000.

At this stage I haven't used it (apart from a trial run when I first got it), cause becoming an Owner-Builder with demolishing my existing house and building a new one has got in the way, but I'm looking forward to the day I can put it through its paces.