PDA

View Full Version : Wax Finishes

BOB K
10th October 1999, 03:38 PM
During my recent holiday in tropical Queensland I visited and was made VERY welcome at clubs at Rockhampton, Mackay, Bowen and Townsville. G'day and thanks fellas. I couldn't help noticing that very few turners up north used wax based finishes. Most used laquers or two pot finishes. Is there a practical reason for this; or is it just personal preference?
Regards
BOBK

------------------

ubeaut
11th October 1999, 12:51 AM
Hi Bob

They probably haven't all heard the good word on Shellawax yet. We have no direct distributors into the Townsville, Rockhampton area. However I do know that a goodly number must be using it up there as we do sell quite a bit through Mackay and South East Queensland Woodworking Supplies who travel to Townsville regularly.

You will probably find the same reason in many of the clubs in all states. I have
demonstrated the best and easiest to use woodturning finish in clubs and had people tell me they have never seen anything work so well or so quickly and easily and then in the
same breath tell me that they are happy with the terrible finish they are getting using their own mix of beeswax or Estapol because that is all they want. It doesn't figure, but then again neither do some people.

Some people are happy to spend hours on finishing a piece of turning that will look like plastic and feel like sand paper, some are happy to have a dull waxed finish that is sticky to the touch, attracts dust and finger marks, goes white when it gets wet and eventually dulls off if not regularly polished, whilst others (the slightly smarter ones) may use an oil and just settle for a sticky obnoxious smelling surface (in some cases).

With Shellawax we can put a full finish onto most turned work in around 30 seconds and leave a brilliant, durable finish that looks fantastic and feels great. On top of this it
will work equally well in both tropical and and cold climates so there should be no
reason why it can't be used in North Qld. Most normal wax finishes rely on a large
concentration of beeswax to work and would remain sticky in the tropics and hard to use in the colder climates because of the low melting point. Lacquer and 2 part mixes are definitely harder than most other finishes and probably this is one of the reasons why
they are used. However you will probably find that the foremost reason for people using
these products is sheer availability. You can get it almost anywhere.

I am mostly talking hobby turners here and not commercial turners who will almost always opt for the lacquer or poly. By the way the hobbyists out number the commercial turners around 500 to 1 and in most instances you will never change the finishing habits of the commercial turner.

This has been a bit of blatant, one eyed self promotion on my behalf.

Cheers
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

TAFFY
18th October 1999, 09:59 PM
Bob, I have to tell you as a Queenslander myself that I ALMOST never use epoxy Lacquers I nearly always use a wax finish and have no trouble with the result. I have noticed that whenever I visit local stalls that almost all of the items are varnished, I think and just as importantly so does my good lady, that this type of finish spoils a nice piece of wood and gives it an artificial look, but the buying public must like the stuff as it seems to sell. a matter of poor taste I guess!
Taffy

TASSY
19th October 1999, 08:23 PM
I am an ardent fan of wax finishes and started with beeswax and then graduated to a commercial brand which I aquired with my latest lathe from an old gentleman who has since passed on to the workshop in the sky but I don't know what brand it isbut I have enough to last me for some years yet

as for super glossy finishes ,I much prefer the character of the wood than the glare of the finish and shy away from them.

regards Tassy