PDA

View Full Version : guessing games?

lubbing5cherubs
15th June 2007, 07:16 PM
HI Yesterday all that gear that I told you was picked up for me from that cheap shed gear I got. There was a lathe, drill press and a big bandsaw. But from what I been told all I paid for was the drill press it stands over a metre tall with lots of doodasms on it. Apparently he paid $1200 for it 12 months ago (can you really get drills that expensive or is my chain being pulled?)

Now my question is I have not seen this lathe my brother got it for me. I get to see it for the first time on Monday but this is the information I have received. It got a 1 metre bed and light green? what kind of lathe does that sound like to you...Any ideas? I am just being impatient and wondering what I got in this pick a box. Any ideas? LIght green and metre bed tell you anything? Nothing worse than not knowing. I am not patient:doh: :- :D
thanks Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th June 2007, 07:43 PM
Apparently he paid $1200 for it 12 months ago (can you really get drills that expensive or is my chain being pulled?)

Yup. Easily, if it's a high-end industrial pedestal drill. Don't think Black&Decker, JET, Ryobi or any of those "household" names... think of Hahn&Kold or Pollard (both about $2000ish) or Steinel, who I recently saw had a model listed at, from memory, US$5000 new! :oo:

These are usually for metal working shops... for woodwork they're pretty much overkill. But still very, very nice to have. :wink:

It got a 1 metre bed and light green? what kind of lathe does that sound like to you...Any ideas?

Could be a Woodfast... or an MC-9/1100 clone from the 70's/80's... or any one of dozens of brands from about that time. Light green was once "the" colour for workshop equipment. :rolleyes: (I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it's not a Dynalink (or similar), which is basically the GMC's grand-daddy... and about as useful as a GMC. :p)

Sorry, not much help there, eh? :D

watson
15th June 2007, 07:45 PM
Just joking Toni,
but I reckon the green lathe is a re-painted GMC :oo:
Smirking!!

lubbing5cherubs
15th June 2007, 08:15 PM
I just found out it variable speed if that helps. but they can not find a name on it
Toni

hughie
15th June 2007, 09:20 PM
I just found out it variable speed if that helps. but they can not find a name on it

If you can get a pic some body will no doubt know the maker .

good pick up :2tsup:

weisyboy
15th June 2007, 09:23 PM
hey lay off the little gmc's boys how about picking on someone your own size or maby you are.

lubbing5cherubs
15th June 2007, 09:23 PM
yes I will get that on Monday. I am in the mean time trying to see if we can work out what it was to have a sneak peak at it in on the internet. I just being impatient...LOL.

Well it must be good my dad is a man of very little words but the dress press he is in love with
Toni

GordRocks
16th June 2007, 02:30 AM
.....dad is a man of very little words but the dress press he is in love with
Toni

Is he a size 4?:; :U
Sorry, couldn't resist.:-

.....Gord

lubbing5cherubs
16th June 2007, 01:40 PM
it is a dynalink
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th June 2007, 03:22 PM
So few words, telling such a sad story. :(

Mind you, my first lathe was a Dynalink, and my uncle also had one. I've seen some amazing stuff that was turned on 'em, (my Unc turned a bloody nice 4-poster bed! :oo:) so it goes to show it's the quality of the turner, not the quality of the lathe. Still, it is easier with decent equipment. :wink:

What brand is the drill press? That has my curiosity piqued...

lubbing5cherubs
16th June 2007, 03:40 PM
the drillpress it a 16 speed drill, trade something or rather???? mum can't remember exactly the bandsaw is the same.
Toni

lubbing5cherubs
23rd June 2007, 09:59 PM
Hi Skew, I just got back the bandsaw is 14" trade link. Very pleased with that and the drill press is a dynalink 12 speed drill press. But still not sure about the price I was told. However am still happy with it. I don't think it was all a loss.
Thanks Toni:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th June 2007, 12:00 AM
For a Dynalink I think the price may've been stretched a bit in the telling. But then again, it appears people are willing to pay $2500 for pens, so maybe not... :D

lubbing5cherubs
24th June 2007, 02:12 AM
Skew they can give me $2500 for a pen, that would be a good days work. I won't knock them back.
LOL
Toni