PDA

View Full Version : Weber

Bluegum
15th June 2007, 10:17 PM
Just wondering how many forumites are Weber fans and what their favourite dish is? I like my roasts from them and I was given a wok for it as well but I havent used yet so I have to season it and give it a go one day. The cook book is full of great ideas but I haven't tried the deserts yet. I think I might have to drag it out this weekend as fire it up.

Ramps
16th June 2007, 12:09 AM
Yes roasts are my favourites and they get rave rave reviews with whoever dines with us. I have taken the weber to various group and work do's to cook up to 3 roasts at the same time. They are nearly always cooked with a couple of chunks of hickory for a nice smoky flavour.
The best though is something that I haven't done for quite a while is to get a lamb leg butterflied (boned and opened) marinated in onions, your favourite herbs and you favourite dark homebrew (yes beer) for a number of hours (overnight is OK) then inthe Webber for 1min/mm thickness
Yumm might do that this w/e:2tsup:

Iain
21st July 2007, 09:58 AM
Our Weber rusted out and died and I replaced it with the Weber Q, does as good a job as the kettle but not quite as much room.
Can cook direct and indirect, just love the little beast.....after I got over the price.

Cliff Rogers
21st July 2007, 10:20 AM
Roasts. :2tsup:

Pork & Ham are my favourites.

Driver
21st July 2007, 12:21 PM
Roasts. They're all good - but if you haven't tried it yet, I recommend a prime rib of beef joint. Keep it simple. Rub some olive oil into the fat and then liberally apply salt and ground pepper, rubbing it into the oiled fat. Sprinkle on a bit more salt.

Stand the joint up in the Weber - with the fat side as much on top as possible (does that make sense?) Imagine the joint as a lean-to. The fat operates as a roof. You want the fat to drip down onto the lean part of the joint as it roasts. Use a roasting rack if you have one. It helps to keep the joint upright. To prevent the exposed ends of the ribs from burning and charring, wrap them in scrunched-up aluminium foil.

Medium indirect fire for one minute per mm of thickness measured across the widest part of the joint - a bit less if you want the meat more rare.

Cut the meat away from the ribs in one piece and carve. The meat will be superbly tender so you can cut quite thick steaks or slice it thinly.

This is what we had for a quiet family dinner last Saturday. Superb!

Bluegum
21st July 2007, 03:41 PM
I haven't done ham in mine yet but I reckon there is no better way to do a leg or shoulder of pork. I may have to give your beef idea a go Driver it sounds tremendous.

Ramps
21st July 2007, 03:48 PM
Has anyone actually smoked ham in a webber?
If so I'd be keen to here if it was successful (or otherwise) and how you went about it.

woodcutta
21st July 2007, 04:03 PM
Ramps

I get a pickled hand of pork from the butcher and put it in the weber with a few chunks of hickory.
Leave until temp is 160 Deg.

Meat tastes greak - but the crackle is the best part

woodcutta

Ekim
21st July 2007, 05:49 PM
This may be an urban myth.

I once read about a bloke who returned his Weber kettle BBQ to the store because it wasn't heating up. The bloke had put the charcoal in the drip tray under the kettle. Apparently, he tried for two hours to heat the kettle......

Tonyz
21st July 2007, 09:10 PM
Where does one get the hicys (opps) hickory from and can you use other wood. ie wood is for burning, timber for working.

Pops
21st July 2007, 09:30 PM
Hi Dave,

I do like the 'set and forget' type cooking of the Webber. Have even done a Christmas turkey in it.

Have friends in the far North of Western Australia that swear by the Webber. They use it 3/4 times every week, keeps the heat out of the kitchen.

They mainly cook roasts with the cooking controlled by the number of beads used. Have worked out the exact number of beads for the weight and type of meat and it works perfectly every time, (they have had several years and hundreds of firings.

Go the Webber !!!

Cheers
Pops

Cliff Rogers
22nd July 2007, 12:28 PM
Where does one get the hicys (opps) hickory from and can you use other wood. ie wood is for burning, timber for working.
You can buy a bag of hickory chips from most BBQ supply places.
I find the best way to use them is to soak them in water & sprinkle a few at a time over the hot heat beads as the roast is cooking.
You don't want them to burn, just smolder.
A friend I knew in Townsville about 15 years ago used to smoke raw fish with a very fine sawdust. I don't know what the saw dust was but he would light it & it would smolder. He had a small fish smoker, not a weber.

Iain
22nd July 2007, 12:33 PM
I had one of those Cliff, you put one or two little trays of sawdust in the smoker and one or two little dishes of metho under the smoker, the heat would cause the sawdust to smoke and the heat would cook the fish.
Cold smoking is more elaborate and not very portable and takes a long time.
I have used tea tree for smoking and it imaprts a pleasant spicy flavour, I also use a mixture of brown sugar, fennel seeds and black tea, good for meat balls and anything with a hint of Asian.

Cliff Rogers
22nd July 2007, 12:57 PM
....I have used tea tree for smoking and it imaprts a pleasant spicy flavour, .....
Which one? :?

Tea Tree Leptospermum flavescens
Tea-tree Melaleuca lanceolata
Tea-tree Melaleuca squarrosa

Iain
22nd July 2007, 01:16 PM
The buggers in the side paddock, no idea I'm afraid, but very common around here.

Burnsy
22nd July 2007, 01:23 PM
We love roasting in the weber and I do the Christmas turkey every year in it, far better tasting and less messing around than doing it inside on a hot summers day.

A couple of years back we went down to Collie with the ski boat (before I sold it to pay for the wedding:doh: ) and took the weber down. We did a sit down roast for about 16 people on the side of the dam along side our tents and swags. Webers make camping food fantastic:2tsup:

Capt. Zero
22nd July 2007, 02:51 PM
My Weber, like me, aged, got cranky, and then it was time to take it behind the barn and shoot it between the vent holes:D . Sure do miss it.

"...came crashing through the wall like a madman. At the last minute he stopped on a dime. Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket."

Gumby
22nd July 2007, 03:00 PM
We do a Weber roast every Sunday. The best is the pickled pork with the hickory, as has already been mentioned. But try taking off the crackling after an hour, score the remaining fat in a diamond pattern, baste it with marmalde a few times over the next hour or so and you'll have them drooling.

It's a recipe straight from the Weber cookbook. page 78

I burnt my out after 10 years of service so i got a new one for me birfdy.

Cliff Rogers
22nd July 2007, 03:34 PM
...score the remaining fat in a diamond pattern, baste it with marmalde a few times over the next hour or so .......
We do that with a leg of ham, try adding chopped macadamias to the last marmalade baste.... if they stay in too long, they burn to charcoal. :2tsup:

...i got a new one for me birfdy.
I thought you were too old & cranky for birfdys. :D

Ramps
22nd July 2007, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the replies re smoking. I have heard somewhere that webers can be used as hot smokers for fish ... I'll have to do some more investigating.

In the end I converted mine to gas a few years ago ... a chunk of hickory and no one notices the difference except me (less prep time and cheaper to run)

Ramps

I get a pickled hand of pork from the butcher and put it in the weber with a few chunks of hickory.
Leave until temp is 160 Deg.

Meat tastes great - but the crackle is the best part

woodcutta

Ta woodcutta ... but a Q ... do you warm it up to 160 deg or let it coll down to 160 deg from cooking temp?

Hi Dave,

I do like the 'set and forget' type cooking of the Webber. Have even done a Christmas turkey in it.

Have friends in the far North of Western Australia that swear by the Webber. They use it 3/4 times every week, keeps the heat out of the kitchen.

They mainly cook roasts with the cooking controlled by the number of beads used. Have worked out the exact number of beads for the weight and type of meat and it works perfectly every time, (they have had several years and hundreds of firings.

Go the Webber !!!

Cheers
Pops

Yeah Pops, that's the conditions that I was inspired ... Darwin ... for the same reasons. Great investment ... about 13 yrs ago for $50 secondhand and still going strong. I have to check out some of the local timbers for smoking ... I'm sure some would be as good ... and free

Wild Dingo
23rd July 2007, 03:59 PM
Get ye a nice fresh haunch of roo Ramps :2tsup: ... marinade in your finest homebrew chilli an marmalade mix overnight... then ramp up the webbster get her hot an cook chuck some sawdust but dont use camphor laurel mate that really F***s up a good roo haunch :doh:

Cliff Rogers
23rd July 2007, 04:24 PM
Get ye a nice fresh haunch of roo ....
Mick has a 4 day old one but he says he doesn't do takeaways. :D

Gumby
23rd July 2007, 08:18 PM
T
In the end I converted mine to gas a few years ago ...

I really don't see the point in doing that. I've got a gas BBQ with a hood if needed. I think one really important feature of the Weber with charcoal is that the temperature decreases evenly during cooking. The heat at the beginning helps seal the meat and then it gradually dies down over the next hour or two. This helps avoid over cooking and retains the juices better. You can't do that with gas. (unless you turn it down gradually over the same time, which is too hard IMHO)

Ramps
23rd July 2007, 09:51 PM
Get ye a nice fresh haunch of roo Ramps

OK Apart from a road-kill or my new neighbour over the back fence ... where do i source a haunch a roo in this neck of the woods? .... sounds good but:2tsup:

Ramps
23rd July 2007, 10:04 PM
I really don't see the point in doing that. I've got a gas BBQ with a hood if needed. I think one really important feature of the Weber with charcoal is that the temperature decreases evenly during cooking. The heat at the beginning helps seal the meat and then it gradually dies down over the next hour or two. This helps avoid over cooking and retains the juices better. You can't do that with gas. (unless you turn it down gradually over the same time, which is too hard IMHO)

Gumby ... How'd you slip that in without me noticing?

It was a consideration of mine when I did that. I don't have a bbq with a hood and at the time I was buying the bbq they still wanted another $100-150 for the hood :oo: ... the webber only cost me $50. Soooo I got the Webber conversation kit (rather than some of the after market conversions that cost the same). Flame is still about the same location as the coals and yes there is a high and low setting and yes they do recommend running at high for 30 mins and then turning it down to low (and if you don't open the lid at the same time it will drop in temp slowly) set the timer and walk out once to turn it down ...no probs. I was dubious at first but I am very happy with the results and I would love to put anyone to the test to see if they could determine between heatbeads and the authentic webber conversion (when done as per instructions!)

Still works very much like a webber rather than the roasts I've tasted from a bbq with a hood (which hasn't been many I must admit ... why do people buy hoods with their bbq's?)