PDA

View Full Version : home made pies

ss_11000
16th June 2007, 12:32 PM
lately me and my mum have been making home made pies for tea.
just wondering if anyone else makes them? and what fillings do you put in them? ( looking for more ideas:D). mainly we put ( not combined ) pasta, braised steak and onions, apples, chicken, etc.

cheers

Glenn_M
16th June 2007, 01:19 PM
G'day Stirlo,
Yep we make 'em all the time. We make many versions, some for the kiddies and some for us.

Make Chilli Pies with a Chille Con Carne mix and some rice

Thai chicken curry pies (again with rice)

A beef burgundy pie (kilo gravy beef, some onion, a bottle of red wine and some olives. Brown beef and onions, add bottle o red and simmer until reduced - couple of hours. Add olives)

Indian potato and pea curry pie

And Steak and Guiness which is......well steak and guiness. Beautiful!

For the kids - chicken mice and corn kernals with some rice.

Just about anytime we cook up a curry - if there are left overs, chuck in the rice and mix together and into pies. Brilliant the next day for lunch or dinner.

Cheers,
Glenn

snowyskiesau
16th June 2007, 01:30 PM
Can't beat a steak and kidney pie!

Unless it's a steak and kidney pudding...
Was going to make one today but the butchers I went to had neither kidneys nor suet:~
Looks like it's going to be a steak pie instead.

Jedo_03
16th June 2007, 08:33 PM
cheese and onion pie
fray bentos corned beef and potato pie
and our own kind of mince pie
pastry base on a dinner plate...
add layer of sliced raw onion
sprinkle oxo cube onto onion
add 500gm premium mince beef
pastry on top
seal all round
pop two slits into top
bake moderate for an hour
some will reckon it's too dry for a pie - but yuz arn't poms, ar yuz...
cheers
Jedo

watson
16th June 2007, 10:12 PM
G'day Stirlo,
Sometimes the filling available isn't enough for a big pie, so for left over stuff we use a muffin tray.
Here's the go.
Cut the crusts off supermarket type bread.
Roll the bread with a rolling pin, butter it both sides, and press it into the muffin pan spaces.
Add the filling, leaving about 10 mm from the top for expansion. then top the "pie" with circles cut from thawed Puff Pastry.
I reckon about 20 minutes in a 200ºC preheated oven.

Andy Mac
17th June 2007, 01:03 AM
Love a good pie myself!!
Just made a batch of smallish pies for visitors tonight, nothing fancy but everyone (including some fussy kids) ate them up. Beef mince and lots of diced vegetables, with a gravy made from worcester sauce, some vege stock, red wine and corn flour. I'd hoped to do a mashed potato topping, always a good winter touch, but the cupboard was bereft of spuds. Served with steamed veges including corn on the cob.
I have tried putting mashing spud as the base instead of pastry, cook blind then add the filling.

Cheers,

ss_11000
23rd June 2007, 03:12 PM
thanx for the ideas guys.
i particularly like glenn's rice ideas!

cheers

Iain
23rd June 2007, 04:04 PM
For the kids - chicken mice and corn kernals with some rice.

I don't like Glenns ideas, however, if you want more mice, feel free to come over here and help yourself, our feed shed is full of them.
I have a feeling you are just trying to outdo Wongo:D

Ruddigar
4th July 2007, 04:18 PM
i particularly like glenn's rice ideas!

I know a bloke called Glenn Rice. Seriously, I do. :)
I had to read this sentence twice before I figured out you weren't referring to him. :-

I cooked a lovely chicken mustard pie the other night. I'll dig out the details and post them here.

silentC
4th July 2007, 04:25 PM
chicken mice and corn kernals
The mice we have here are quite brave. There's one cheeky little mongrel that walks straight past my chair to get to the bin in the corner. By the time I get up to step on him, he's completed his inspection and left the building.

Don't make pies but I'm a champion of the toasted sanger, which is nearly the same thing. Anything left over from dinner the night before will do: spag bol sauce is good, as is roast lamb, beef or chicken.

patty
4th July 2007, 05:04 PM
yeah spot on silent c! any leftovers are good on toasted sangas my favourite is the good ole banga just put a generous serving of some tommy sauce on bread, cut two of last nites snags or the nite before in half lay em on slap a bit of marj or butter what evers in the fridge both sided stick in the breville maker for a copla mins, and wallahh instantly the best sausage rolls youll ever have