PDA

View Full Version : Redgum Boxes

Don Mc.
16th June 2007, 04:42 PM
A trip with the W.T.G.V. of Shepparton took us to Barham N.S.W. to Glen Gray Furniture.
We had a tour of the workshop and showroom where I spotted these redgum boxes. Made from laminated boards, the centre box was aprox 8" x 8", a little thick and heavy looking in my opinion but beautifully made with a price tag of aprox $550-00. The rest of the furniture in the showroom was made of the most beautiful redgum, fiddle back, birds eye and curly, it was certainly worth the trip.
Don Mc.

Don Mc.
21st June 2007, 03:15 PM
I have obtained another photo and will try again to post it. If it fails I will have to learn more about my photo program
Don Mc.

Sculptured Box
21st June 2007, 05:02 PM
Don Mc

they are good. Good to see they've not fallen into the trap of making the open side to large.

For the information of new bandsawn box makers - a potential fault with this design is that if the opening is too wide the drawers will flop out!

Sir Stinkalot
21st June 2007, 07:58 PM
In my uneducated opinion they appear to be a little flat.
I read the design intent of these style of boxes as a fluid motion, of natural curves. The boxes pictured seem to be just cut out of a square blank sanded on the sides and left.

My preference would be to round over the box frame between the drawers, even put a slight convex curve on the front of the drawers (facing the viewer). When you handle the box your hand should be compelled to caress the curves, with no sharp or square corners.

But then again if they sell for $550-00 best of luck to them ..... they must be doing something right!