PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning exhibition - heads-up for Melb turners

rsser
16th June 2007, 05:38 PM
One day

http://www.theaustralianwoodturningexhibition.com/

Other turners can look at the pics from previous years ... some stunning stuff there.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th June 2007, 06:06 PM
There're some interesting pieces in there, I'm sure it's not giving anything away to say Ken Wraight managed a near clean sweep yet again. :rolleyes: (There's also a few absolute crap items... but some of us left our runs until a tad too late to get the quality that should be there. :-)

David Shing had a good presence too... I'm in awe of his snake. It didn't win any awards and IMHO it should've, for sheer originality if nothing else! (It makes be proud to be in the same club; fame by association and all that. :D)

Didn't take my camera, so no pix... but I'll probably be going again tomorrow and may rectify the oversight. Or maybe I should leave it up to the pros? (In this case, by "Pro" I mean those photographers who haven't amassed an amazing collection of shots of thumb prints. :p)

rsser
17th June 2007, 09:22 AM
Hope to get there today.

Doesn't surprise me that Ken W. trumped again.

Amazing technical and conceptual proficiency in his work but I don't warm to it in the way I do with some other turners' work - like Stephen Hughes' lidded box 'ribbon' or Andrew Potocnik's 'starfish' in the 2006 pics on the site.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th June 2007, 02:39 PM
You too, eh?

I'm just as guilty as any other turner of the urge to pick up pieces that appeal to me, (regardless of any signs that may be posted :rolleyes:) but Ken's work just doesn't get the fingers twitching. I don't know why, as you rightly said: his work is amazing technically.

'Starfish' was one of my favourite pieces there last year, too. :thyel: I was also impressed by one or two of of Guilio Marcolongo's (sp?) pieces, but he doesn't have as many entries this time and they don't have the same appeal to me for some reason. :shrug:

rsser
17th June 2007, 02:52 PM
Ken's work evokes a cerebral response rather than an emotional one in me.

Part of that is that it need not be done in wood at all ... in other words, the qualities of wood AFAIC should be in part reflected or enhanced by the form.

This is overgeneralising, and I was taken very much by his pair of lidded boxes today. His camphor laurel platter/bowl could also not be described as not 'woody' if you know what I mean.

Guilio's range of pieces shows a very diverse talent IMHO. I'd always thought of his work as large and flamboyant as he is though that p*ss elegant natural edge acacia goblet with barley sugar stem and captive ring put paid to that (2 years ago?).

If I had a fraction of the design and technical skill of these guys I'd be happy.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th June 2007, 03:27 PM
This is overgeneralising, and I was taken very much by his pair of lidded boxes today. His camphor laurel platter/bowl could also not be described as not 'woody' if you know what I mean.

I can't say I remember his lidded boxes :oo: but I'll be heading back in shortly, so I'll make a point of looking for them.

Guilio's range of pieces shows a very diverse talent IMHO. I'd always thought of his work as large and flamboyant as he is though that p*ss elegant natural edge acacia goblet with barley sugar stem and captive ring put paid to that (2 years ago?).

Again, my memory fails me. The only goblet I can remember from that show was a lady's work... Dianna, I think, in the Novice section. A very delicate little piece that had me turning green with envy the moment I laid eyes on it. :- If only she knew how much that one piece has affected my recent work! Not that anyone else can see it, but still... :rolleyes:

If I had a fraction of the design and technical skill of these guys I'd be happy.

Oh yeah! :D I'd make a good teacher, I think. You know the old saying: "those that can..." [sigh] My ideas are good, but the execution can leave a lot to be desired. And when it comes to finishing... that's always a hard slog for me. [bigger sigh]

rsser
17th June 2007, 04:33 PM
Well the Ken pair may not have been lidded ... identical pair with some ebonising anyway.

Guilio's goblet was martini shaped. Maybe over 2 years ago? Best acacia of the show.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th June 2007, 08:20 PM
Just got back from the presentations and after-event chats.

You're right, Ken's pair were lidded, ebonised around the rim. On seeing them the second time I recalled 'em... I just hadn't looked close enough to see they were Ken's the last time. Quite different to his other items!

Guilio's goblet was 2003. Just a wee tad more than 2 years ago. :D Where does time fly to?

rsser
17th June 2007, 08:30 PM
Sigh. One year, two years, three ... yes, time does fly, and sometimes on leaden wings.

Was it Shaw who said if you live healthy you don't live longer, it just feels like it?

Big Shed
17th June 2007, 08:43 PM
My wife and I enjoyed our visit and were VERY impressed with the standard of work on display. Some of Ken's work, correction, ALL of Ken's work was of an exceptionally high standard.

There were some very imaginative pieces as well, good to see some people thinking outside the square:D.

That snake was something else!:2tsup:

Nice to see Ern there.

Overall, well worth the 375km round trip!:rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th June 2007, 09:02 PM
A long trip, mate! Glad it was worth your while. :)

I'm sorry I missed you, and Ern, and probably a couple of other forumites. I'd have worn my forum cap but as our club had assisted with the event I thought I'd best to be diplomatic and wear either the club cap or none at all.

With the quality of the pieces I'd entered, I decided to save the club embarassment and go bare-headed. :rolleyes::wink: