PDA

View Full Version : My 2nd Heirloom toy-Allis Chalmers Tractor

bryon
18th June 2007, 01:00 AM
After my first attempt at this type of wood work I thought I'd have another go. This time my dear wife suggested I make a tractor as a bithday present for her father who is a corn farmer near Seattle in the USA. She ordered the plans off the web and I set to work.. Now those rear wheels were always going to be a bit tricky without a bandsaw... after many failed attempts at cutting the rear tyre treads by other means my beautiful wife suggested maybe a bandsaw would make the process a little easier..I do love my wife!!! so now I have an excellent bandsaw and she has rear tyres for her father's tractor .... a fair deal in any man's language I would have thought:) Anyway here is the result.

Wood Butcher
18th June 2007, 08:14 AM
Beautiful work byron. Definately an heirloom piece.

What size is it? Some of the small parts must have taken some time to make!

Harry72
18th June 2007, 08:57 AM
Nice work Bryon, a bandsaw for a set of wheels... sounds like a fair trade to me!

DJ’s Timber
18th June 2007, 09:10 AM
Great work :2tsup:

AlexS
18th June 2007, 03:44 PM
Very nice work Bryon. How big is it? Is FIL likely to ride it around the lounge room?

Congratulations on the bandsaw, too.

coedcae
19th June 2007, 10:42 AM
Great piece of work. Lots of TLC gone into that.:2tsup:

What is the size of the tractor, the timbers used and how long did it take to make.

FIL will just love it you will be NO 1 SIL. :D

Peter

floobyduster
19th June 2007, 12:42 PM
Great job. Now all you need to do is think up some more projects that require more tools to make them with :; :U

bryon
19th June 2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks Coedcae, there was a bit of TLC went into this project especially as it progressed and I could see I might actually finish it .. the tractor measures 255mm long and about 120mm high to the top of the bonnet. The timber i used were meranti for the chassis and rear tyres, Tassie oak for the engine block and a mixture of redgum and jarrah for the wheels, seat, engine cover etc and the inevitable dowels for the lights caps stacks and steering wheel shaft. I really don'y know how lnog it took but proabably 3 weekends over 2 months ...... there was a delay before I secured the ok to get a bandsaw afterall!!

Thornburn
20th June 2007, 09:29 AM
Lovely workmanship - well done. That should score some major "brownie points" with the FIL !! :2tsup:

Thornburn

coedcae
20th June 2007, 09:47 AM
Brownie points are gone.:wink:
Used up on the NEW Bandsaw:hpydans2:

Peter

Misread the above post.
I was refering SWMBO

Franczo
25th August 2011, 05:56 AM
Hello!

I love your work Bryon, i'm new on this forum, but I really love wooden tractors for déco...

regards

crowie
25th August 2011, 04:59 PM
What a riper "bryon",
You say it's only your second attempt a woodwork; WOW; looks to me like you've been making toys and models for years.
Great detail, beautiful timber selection; it's come up a treat.
A HUGE WELL DONE.
I'll be watching for your next posting if this is your standard of craftsmanship.
Cheers, crowie

Yonnee
25th August 2011, 06:35 PM
If you hadn't noticed by now Crowie, our Spanish friend has replied to thread that's 4 years old, and Byron hasn't been on since March.

But be that as it may, it's still a nice Tractor.

crowie
25th August 2011, 08:49 PM
OOP's......
Hey I have a "Head Injury"....
And still like the tractor.

Franczo
27th August 2011, 06:19 AM
well, maybe he comes back now :)

Yonnee
29th August 2011, 05:50 PM
Maybe he will.
And Welcome Franczo.