PDA

View Full Version : Dust Extraction

antman
19th August 2003, 10:31 AM
Hi all,
I am wondering about the merits of dust extractors and face shield/respirators. Obviously one would have both if the budget extended that far. What is the best choice to start with? Does a dust extractor (such as the small carba-tec jobbies) do a good job of reducing dust? Would I be OK with a standard face shield and an extractor? Or would I be better to get a quality face shield and just clean the shed more often? Can I have fries with that?

Any comments?

Cheers,
Anthony

Zed
19th August 2003, 12:43 PM
At the risk of sticking my neck out - (I assume that its gunna get attacked by Stoppers if no body else ;-) ), I would say based on my recent experience doing a spot of turning, yes get your self a good system of some sort. I started turning a camphor laurel blank last night and it stunk big time so rapid air movement aint a bad thing. if you put a long enough hose you can vac the floor after you've finished a session.

I would say either the basic rule of thumb (ie : biggest nastiest you can afford) or if your capable build your own - dare Imention cyclone ?

get a respirator too - theres good combined systems available now.

nine fingers
19th August 2003, 01:16 PM
Hi Antman,
I purchased a el chepo dust extractor from carba-tec,
not worth a pinch of goat @%&*. I us it on my lathe, still choked on the dust.
Spent another 272 bucks on a Triton dust mask,not long realeased. Not completly happy with it as dust clings to the visor . Maybe another menber can suggest something to over come this problem.
:confused:

antman
19th August 2003, 01:42 PM
Thats good, a dust extractor that cloggs with dust.... :D

Anybody using a particluar unit they find really good in the dust extraction department? (Since the cheap Carba-tec jobbie is off the list...)

And at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot (as opposed to a nearly complete one :D ) what is the 'cyclone' bit that everybody dares not mention?

Cheers
Anthony

barnsey
19th August 2003, 01:59 PM
Oh Antman!!!

Before they come and take you away just do a search on this board using the "C" word and you will be occupied for hours!!!!!!

I haven't got to building one yet - too busy filling my lungs with woodturning dust!!!! But seriously I bought a 2hp dust extractor from Hare & Forbes - around the $290 mark and it has some really serious suck. Read the cyclone stuff coz it does explain the nitty grits of why you need the grunt if you want to get really serious and a lot of how to's on duct sizes etc.

Also bought a Triton respirator and yes dust will stick to the visor and the more you rub it the worse the static and guess what!!!!! Some of us who have to wear glasses already know about the antistatic lens cleaners and don't have the problem.

I've found that with this setup I'm not distributing anywhere near the dust I used to. Not perfect but I'll look at a cyclone and get a round tuit one day.

Zed's idea is probably the best - but go for a minimum 2hp extractor - you can work up from that - anything less will mean another purchase when and if you want/need to get serious about the dust.

Good Luck.

Jamie

q9
19th August 2003, 02:49 PM
Sedl Agencies has a fairly lightweight 3M dust/vapour respirator for around $52. Hard to go past that.

Wayne Davy
19th August 2003, 05:30 PM
Anthony,

If you have not already found it using the search, the link to the Cyclone thread is here:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?threadid=3749

Also, this is a thread on a mini-cyclone for handheld tools like sanders.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?threadid=4844

JackoH
19th August 2003, 05:31 PM
Go to the archives. Put in dust extractor. PLEASE!!!! :mad:
I'll bet you'll never mention the word again, 'cause there's enough stuff on the problem there to keep you occupied for the rest of your life!
(You must have a serious dust problem if you're clogging up your respirator. Imagine what that would do to your lungs!)
Sharper tools and less sanding.
.:D

antman
20th August 2003, 01:15 PM
My eyes have been opened, a thousand apologies for mentioning the "C" word :)

I now have more knowledge about it all than I know what to do with.

Thanks for your replies.

Cheers
Anthony