PDA

View Full Version : So who had fun at the Sydney WWS?

Hardenfast
18th June 2007, 02:18 PM
Hello all, and belated apologies to the Moderators for placing this thread here. I've only just noticed that the Shows have their own forum, and assume you will re-locate this accordingly.

Just thought I'd mention my Sydney Wood Show experience and invite comments from others.
I spent about 5 hours there on Sunday and found it quite worthwhile. I was able to watch a very good demonstration by Rolly Munro using his articulated hollowing tools - I ended ordering one of his Mini's. Great to watch that plume of shavings leaping over the top of his booth enclosure - even if it was a piece of nice soft Camphor Laurel. The whole mystique of the deep hollowing process is a little clearer now.
I also took a seat for a while watching Richard Raffan work on a lidded bowl - nice to see that it sometimes also takes him 3-4 goes at getting it right. I would have liked to have watch him "Taming the Skew", but I missed that one.
Got to meet Neil and his wife at their stand. Stocked up on U-Beaut finishes and a bowl sander kit - even bought a Forum cap.
Many other interesting exhibits and demonstrations, including the guy making chairs using only his hand tools (draw knife etc) and rounding his pieces using his tree branch/foot treadle lathe. Now that's real dedication to preserving a bygone trade. Great works on show from all facets of the wood-working fraternity - much of it quite humbling - some not so much.
I was quite disappointed with some of the manufacturers' "Show Special" pricing, though. Case in point was Major Woodworking Equipment who had a big display just inside the main entry. I was quite ready to purchase a Jet/Performax 22-44 drum sander on the day and asked for their show price. They gave me a figure of $1,760 (?? can't remember exactly) less their Show Special discount of 5%. When I pointed out that that was still quite a bit more expensive than Gary Pye's everyday website offering ($1,599), I got the glib response "Well, does he have any stock?".
I searched out Gary who was stuck outside in the rain and doing his best under tarps etc, and found out that he had indeed already sold the two 22-44s he had brought with him. He offered to freight one down to me at half of the usual freight cost ($1,599 + $60) and it would have still been been cheaper than the MWE show price (I'm still considering this). I ended up buying a Jet midi lathe and a few chisels etc from Gary. Just out of principle I now won't buy anything from MWE - I'll give the business to GPW or my local dealers. Hope that's not too contentious as an issue here on the forum - just my personal position & opinion.
Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, spent far too much money, got to put some faces to names etc. What about you guys (and girls)?

Wongo
18th June 2007, 03:18 PM
Sorry to hear that you didn’t get the best price from MWE. To me they are pretty good and I will keep buying tools from them.

As for GPW, I think there is always a risk when you are buying machinery from another state. It makes your life very difficult when thing does go wrong. So you should probably stick with your local dealers.

Cliff Rogers
18th June 2007, 03:45 PM
Gosford is 1033Kms closer to Currumbin that what Cairns is & I buy from Gary. :2tsup:

Hardenfast
18th June 2007, 03:58 PM
Sorry guys. I just noticed that this thread actually has it's own forum so I'm assuming the Mods will re-locate it shortly.

In any case Mr Wongo, I did spot your chair during one of my rounds but didn't recognise it as a forumite effort. Outstanding!! Would have liked to shake your hand on that effort - well worth the 2nd prize, if not better. Did you do any of the rocking horses which were there? Some were great!

Glad to see that MWE are looking after you. Maybe I expected a little much, but I for one go to these places expecting their Show Specials to be exactly that - not prices which have been bumped up so that the discounted rate is equivalent to their normal floor price. If I want that I'll go and buy some nice Indian rugs which have been discounted to 90% off normal price. The discount doesn't have to be huge, but it should be genuine.

Anyway, no more griping. I still have my money in my pocket for a Jet 22-44 at the right price. Maybe Canberra? Don't think I can wait until next Sydney show.

Wongo
18th June 2007, 04:29 PM
There were so many rocking horses this year. 6 in the toys making category. Unfortunately apart from the 1st prize the other 5 horses were pretty ordinary.

I am going to make my second rocking horse for my younger daughter. If it comes up well I might enter it next year.

Just George
18th June 2007, 10:15 PM
I enjoyed it, I went there to help all the way from Brisbane. While working there I helped a couple all the way from Ayre in Far North Queensland. They couldn't make it to the Brisbane show so they made a holiday of it and came to the Sydney show where they spent $2000+. It was a shame it had to rain as much as it did for the few days but that's the luck of the draw.

savage
21st June 2007, 11:02 PM
I went with my son, (he went last year with his school) he gave me some pointers as to what was what, met Neil and Pauline, saw some cool stuff and excellent work, spent a few bucks and had a feed. The best part was spending time with my son, the only down side was I was hoping to meet some of you guys face to face, ahh! well may be next year!