PDA

View Full Version : Help to find Apprenticeship

thetassiebfg
18th June 2007, 07:44 PM
Hi all

Does anyone know of a furniture maker (A Craftsman/Artisan rather than the likes of Ikea/Fantastic Furniture) working in Southern Tasmania looking for an Apprentice.

I am interested in doing a mature aged apprenticeship in this field and would like to work for someone who actually gives two hoots about quality and workmanship.

If you do know of someone could you PM me. I am more than willing to give more information on myself if requested.

Cheers
TheTassieBFG

aka Andrew

RufflyRustic
19th June 2007, 09:58 AM
Andrew,

while you're looking, do a search here on Apprenticeship - if you haven't already. Might give you some new info or food for thought to help with your search.

Good Luck!

Cheers
Wendy

thetassiebfg
19th June 2007, 12:35 PM
Hi rufflyrustic

Thanks for the help :2tsup: however that was one of the first steps I made when contemplating the decision.:) There were bits and pieces of info and advice and I especially enjoyed the posts about pranks that have been pulled.

At this stage I am trying to use the "Networking Method" of finding a potential employer as I am sure there are people on this board who have a different range of contacts than I do.. and a lot of these jobs are word of mouth rather than advertised positions..

Cheers

TheTassieBFG

dazzler
19th June 2007, 06:16 PM
Hi TBFG,

Itll be an ask I reckon. Most craftsman seem to get sucked into doing kitchens and are not really happy.

Best of luck :)

thetassiebfg
19th June 2007, 06:59 PM
That's what I am afraid of..

There is more money to be made (so bills can be paid) in stuff like kitchens as opposed to actually creating something unique with character. but if there is someone out there who does both.. kitchens for the bills and craftsmanship for their sanity I'd love to talk with them.

In reality what i am looking for is someone who would be willing to let me work alongside them and be willing to teach me the ticks of the trade. The apprenticeship is for the piece of paper that i suspect the insurance companies will start asking for in several years as proof that I know what I am doing.. and long term i am thinking of possibly teaching as well (might mean I don't have to build so many kitchens) so need to have some sort of academic recognition to keep Uni faculty happy as well.

Thanks for the insight though.

TheTassieBFG

Wild Dingo
19th June 2007, 07:10 PM
Andrew... I sure hope you can find what your looking for... although from my own experience looking into this its not going to be easy.

One old feller... that is in tree feller I spoke with the other day reckoned not only do you have to have a passion for it (fine solid timber furniture making) you also have to want the lifestyle... its a lifestyle choice... cause the money aint good unless you have a ready made market or can promote and market your stuff to a particular target group... trouble is that theres a whole mess of people who want to do the same thing and only so many craftsmen/women to train you... then of course there is the fact that most people once trained up will want to go off on their own and that then means competition for the trainer... most wont want that!!

Anyway all the best mate! Let us know how you get on eh :2tsup:

Okay just read your last post... instead of that why not do a school of wood course? Yous tazzieites have some awefrigginsome schools down there and I know theres one that does a degree course just as theres one here (school of the forest in Dwellingup) find it and do that course not only will it teach you EVERYTHING you could ever want to know but will also cover things like setting up a business sources timber etc etc... would be well worth doing in my book

ian
19th June 2007, 07:45 PM
Ideas, Ideas

do you want to be paid while doing the apprenticeship?

If not options that spring to mind are:

work with a maker as an Intern (?) i.e. unpaid helper

the wooden boat school at Huonville

good luck

Bad Woodworker
19th June 2007, 07:54 PM
Hey thetassiebfg, I am in my mid thirties and am trying to find an apprenticeship in carpentry here in Armidale NSW. The area makes it hard alone and the best I have done is just going out and approaching people myself as I found the government agencies an absolute waist of time. Good poeple just not interested!
Use the power of the internet and email everyone out there in the business, I did it and got a good response, no jobs but have met a few people.
The incentives for the employer to hire a Mature Age Apprentice are fantastic given what the government is doing, just remind the employer that they get good CASH bonuses and suppliments.
Good luck.
BW.

RufflyRustic
19th June 2007, 08:34 PM
Hi rufflyrustic

Thanks for the help :2tsup: however that was one of the first steps I made when contemplating the decision.:) ...

Greenie fired for having beat me to it :2tsup: :D

Can only agree with what's been said before. Keep networking, you never know what it will bring you. Maybe a consideration to see if you can get an apprenticeship in a side-line that will help you step closer to the job you want??

cheers
Wendy

Wild Dingo
20th June 2007, 02:30 AM
Yep... tty everything :2tsup: ... heck even try Wendy she may need an apprentice now shes got a ubeaut shed!! :U :U :U

oooh gawd Shane yer gettin mader by the blasted second ol son :q

Just George
20th June 2007, 11:52 AM
I've just completed my apprenticeship last month, and I'm 34. I wish I'd

done it 10 years ago, if I was 10 years younger I'd now do a building

apprenticeship but I'm not so I won't. It has opened doors and created

opprotunities.