PDA

View Full Version : #@#!! Gout!

watson
18th June 2007, 08:36 PM
Stumbling around like a lame duck again.
Does anyone here get gout?
If so, what do YOU take???

ozwinner
18th June 2007, 08:41 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout

Youre doomed, being a hippy and all.

low-purine diet can help lower the plasma urate level. Avoiding alcohol, high-purine foods, such as meat, fish, dry beans (also lentils and peas), mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, and cauliflower can lower plasma urate levels

Al :(

Barry_White
18th June 2007, 08:44 PM
Hi Noel

I get or used to get gout. I take Colgout. I take one .5 gram tablet each night and and one in the morning about three times a week.

I used to get diarrhea until I reduced the morning tablet down to three times a week.

Need a doc prescription for it.

journeyman Mick
18th June 2007, 09:00 PM
Watson,
my SWMBO was on chemo for a while and this particular drug cocktail was known to cause gout in a lot of cases. Oncologist said that there was a drug that could be taken but that daily consumption of pineapple or fresh pineapple juice would in many cases fix the problem.

Mick

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th June 2007, 09:01 PM
Umm... errm... if, by some chance, you happen to be put on Colchicine tablets, any chance of one or two heading my way? :innocent:

(I was doing some personal research into tetraploidy with certain herbage, but Mr Plod got all upset about it and... well... :p)

watson
18th June 2007, 09:01 PM
Gasp Al!!!!
No alcohol or Lentils :oo:

Doughboy
18th June 2007, 09:03 PM
My dad get gout from oranges and oranges only. God only knows why and he avoids them like the plague.

watson
18th June 2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks Bazza, Mick, Skew..(problem noted)
I've been taking Indocid....which (one tablet) blats me out for a day.....see things.......sleep......mumble....probably not good for me.
I'm about to do another trip to the doc, and I'll suggest a new drug maybe.
Hey Mick......I wonder if I the pineapple juice would be affective in Vodka???
This bout I beleive was caused by eating three bananas....haven't had a banana for years....and that was the only dietary change I've had.

journeyman Mick
18th June 2007, 09:15 PM
................Hey Mick......I wonder if I the pineapple juice would be affective in Vodka???..........

Dunno, I reckon if you had a dozen or so stiff ones you probably wouldn't care though :D , until the next morning of course. :(

Mick

Grunt
18th June 2007, 09:19 PM
My old man had gout and used a drug called Zyloprim (http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdrugprofiles/drugs/zyl1508.shtml). It worked for him without side effects.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th June 2007, 09:21 PM
My foreman in the Open Cut used to swear by the liberal application of Stout as a gout remedy.

Mind you, I never did manage to work out whether it actually eased it or whether 'twas just a case of so many stubbies and he didn't care...

watson
18th June 2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the link Grunt...more fodder for the saw-bones.

bsrlee
18th June 2007, 10:21 PM
I've suffered from Gout on-and-off for years - take Zyloprim and haven't had any problems for years now. In my case there is a family history of gout on Mum's side (women very rarely get it) and I seem to have mushrooms as a trigger, and only European type ones at that.

'Zyloprim' is just a brand name and is based on stuff called 'Allopurinol' - there are several generic/alternatives out there. Colchicine is a very old fashioned anti-gout medication that is known for causing dia...the runs, which is why they go for allopurinol if you continue to have problems.

There is also a tendency for medico's to assume 'Gout' in men when it is just garden variety arthritis - gout has easy, standardised tests and readily available medication, arthritis is 'too hard', and both seem to 'go away' after a few weeks (actually just waiting for you to get complacent before giving you another hammering).

powderpost
18th June 2007, 10:28 PM
I had regular bouts of gout, but have been on glucosamine sulphate 1000mg (two per day) for nearly two years. Haven't had an attack for over twelve months.
Jim

watson
18th June 2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks heaps for the medication info fellers!
Forewarned is forearmed when you have to go to the doctors in a rural area like this.
I reckon another week of this and I'll be back on Dancing WIth The Stars!!

Big Shed
19th June 2007, 12:53 AM
Noel, sorry to hear about your problems, I have read about gout, seems to be one of Dickens' favourite ailments for old blokes (not that I'm suggesting you are old of course:oo:).

I know next to nothing about gout, more now that I have read the article about gout in Wikipedia.

I was particularly interested about you thinking that your trigger food might be bananas.

SWMBO has a very violent reaction to eating bananas, the first time this occurred we actually had to call an ambulance. She was in agony, sweat pouring off her, it was actually very frightening. Doctor in hospital couldn't find anything wrong and suggested it could be indigestion:doh:. We weren't impressed, to say the least. Some time later she had a similar attack, and she started thinking about what she had to eat on both occassions, only common factor was bananas. She hasn't eaten a banana since, and hasn't has an attack. So the doctor wasn't so stupid after all.

Funny thing is, when she told our GP, he didn't say so out loud, but his face indicated that he thought she was hallucinating:D.

So, keep off the bananas (and hallucinating mushrooms, by the sound of it) and stick to vodka:2tsup:

Hope you recover soon.

jmk89
19th June 2007, 06:31 AM
As a fellow sufferer, you have my deepest sympathies. I use Indocid. I tried Colgout, but I got the trots before the pain went away. My Dad used allopurinol, but I seem to recollect that you can't take that when you have an attack (It helps keep the uric acid down, but doesn't do anything if there is a crystal already formed in a joint) - so you need something handy to take the pain away as well.

Cheers and good luck

Jeremy

watson
19th June 2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks Jeremy and Big Shed,
Learned heaps from this thread...........
Tha Banana Benders Revenge
Colgout
Colchicine
Stout
Zyloprim
Allopurinol
& another user of Indocid.
And it gives me a shudder to think of medicos prescribing a gout remedy that gives you the "runs"............Just when your'e moving your slowest.....run to the crapper!! NOT

Thanks All

Tankstand
19th June 2007, 08:23 PM
I had my first gout attack at work about 18 months ago, was worried sick, thinking what the hell is going on here! Hobble to the doctor and was enlightened as to my plight.

Was put on anti inflammatory tablets first and then Progout. After a while I was concerned as to the amount of drugs I was taking (prescribed!) and thought bugger this! After modifying my drinking habits and exercising again I have quit the drugs and no more gout!:D

AlexS
19th June 2007, 10:14 PM
I've found that as soon as I feel an attack starting, if I drink a lot of water I can beat it off. Usually happens in the summer when I haven't been drinking as much water as I should.

watson
19th June 2007, 10:25 PM
G'day AlexS,
Dunno if I could cope with a lot of water...but its a good clue with fluids in and out. My first bout was during a bus trip to Sydney and return during the airline strike, and I hung on until dinner breaks for a wee rather than waking everybody up trying to get to the bus loo.
Bad move,
I will try extra fluid intake when the warning twinges happen again though.
Thanks,

GDL
20th June 2007, 01:00 PM
Noel
Sorry to hear about the gout. Saw some of your posts in the boxmaking forum so thought it time to catch up again. Might have known we would both end up making boxes after experience gained making those wonderful big green ones back in the seventies.
Cheers
Greg aka GD, Badmoon

watson
20th June 2007, 08:01 PM
Hey GD,
Little boxes, Little boxes.............
Will PM you later tonight.
Excuse us Forum members.......old mate from a long time ago.

Dr.Zook
21st June 2007, 11:58 AM
G'day Noel. Interesting. My Doctor's office is next door to Noel Watson, M.D. Both men are Doctors, only mine is a D.O. He prescribed "Allopurinol" for my gout. Haven't had a problem since. Good luck with your gout.

watson
21st June 2007, 03:38 PM
G'day Dave,
the six degrees of seperation....very interesting.

Woodlee
29th June 2007, 07:05 PM
I had regular bouts of gout, but have been on glucosamine sulphate 1000mg (two per day) for nearly two years. Haven't had an attack for over twelve months.
Jim

I thought I had gout ,but it turns out its arthritis , the Doctor put me on Glucosamine ,
I take one 1500mg tablet per day .I buy mine in bulk ,one years supply ,over the internet .
I also take Olive Leaf extract 15ml per day ,I havent had any aches or pain for a long time.

The doctor sent me along for Xrays ,turns out I have arthritis in my neck , lower back both knees and ankles ,Hasnt got to my hips or shoulders yet for some reason.

watson
29th June 2007, 08:29 PM
Glad you've got whatever it is under control

Ashore
29th June 2007, 10:54 PM
Mate of mine had gout for years , seafood , booze etc etc . in the end his shmbo being sick of him constantly suffering did the research and decided he had to drink 600ml of potato juice a day , after two weeks he FINALLY went to his doctor who put him on daily medication and he no longer any real problem , takes the pills and doesn't over do the wrong things .
Reckons anything is better that that potato juice :D

Timmo
11th July 2007, 06:28 PM
My first case of gout went undiagnosed (damn quack!), Doc said I was too young and I wouldn't be able to handle the pain without painkillers. Obviously my body language didn't truly reflect the pain i felt. I honestly thought i was going insane it was so intense.

Second attack 2 weeks later saw me having the blood tests done which finally convinced the doc.

Not sure what triggers it in me yet, I only get it after when Ive been on call for a few weeks at a time so I'm prematurely ruling out booze;)

I've improved my diet somewhat now and i have since not had an attack in 5 months but I keep the colgout on hand for when I feel it come though.

sawdustmike
27th July 2007, 01:21 AM
Like Timmo mine went undiagnosed by several doctors. When a doc finally said you got the gout I spent heaps of time researching and going to several more docs and picking thier brains. The medication is Allopurinol every day (dosage may vary) and this will do the trick. However you may get the occasional attack and then you MUST stop taking the Allopurinol and load up with colchicine and an anti-inflamatory (indocid) You know you have got the dosage of colchicine right when dia?/ sh?ts set in. Avoiding purine rich foods will not alter weather you are going to get an attack or not - good news eh - it will however make a chronic attack much worse! So lay off the grog when it hurts. Some other tips for keeping gout free - LOSE WEIGHT and drink more water. Btw, I consume huge quantities of red wine, smelly cheeses and offal, and touch wood have been gout free for 5 yrs. Hope this helps.

PS, sorry about the long winded drivel, its in me nature.
PPS don't take the anti-inflamatories for extended periods of time as they burn pinholes in your stomach lining, the other drugs are very safe.

AlexS
27th July 2007, 09:00 PM
I'd had the blood test results & been warned before my first attack, so when it came I knew what it was. I've found I can avoid attacks by drinking plenty of water, especially in hot weather, or taking Voltaren for a couple of days at the first twinge.

watson
27th July 2007, 09:35 PM
After all this stuff, AlexS has probably posted the best advice......not that I'm medically inclned.......nor under the rules of this forum should we be.......
Its been an interesting thread.........and I'll just sit and wait for the next onslaught.......joking!!
I'll just eat/drink what I normally do......don't want a case of the sh...ts as an indicator that the cure is working.
But at least a feller knows he is not alone!

Glen
31st July 2007, 09:57 PM
I suffer from g'out, which is basically, I touch SWMBO on the leg and she yells Get'OUT of it,( G'OUT ). :D Sorry old joke, shouldn't trivialise the subject, couple of mates have it, reckon it's bloody painful. My sympathies to anyone that suffers from it.

Iain
11th August 2007, 11:19 AM
Time to start experimenting with Lentil Wine, new taste sensation:wink:

Stuart
11th August 2007, 11:59 AM
Bit late in the piece - I found Colgout gave me the ????? :rolleyes:

I found Allopurinol excellent. There again, mine is not triggered by diet, (perhaps red wine, - more experimenting required), so once I got the puric acid levels in my blood down, and the crystals redissolved out of my joints, I haven't had a serious attack for ages (and haven't taken my meds for 12 months).

dennford
11th August 2007, 09:34 PM
Gout, the good thing is that unless you are one in ten million you wont ever suffer from rheumatoid arthritis. I for years was being treated for one or the other because all the doc's said that the two don't co-exist, however it seems tat there have been a handfull of cases worldwide over the past ten years.

Anyhow that wasn't the question. First thing rather than bother with your g.p. get an appointment to see a rheumatologist, in most cases he/she would posibly prescribe allopurinol which as has already been stated comes under many names. allopurinol is not to treat active gout but is very effective in prevention. Once gout is active treatment will depend aparrt from other factors on the severity of the attack and can vary from mild anelgesics or ibruprofen (oraly or injected), in severe attacks I have been hospitalised for up to five days recieving morphine - but that was the very worst, believe me.

But after many years of discomfort I can say that with the help of a good rheumatologist and continued use of alopurinol it is under some sort of control.

Denn