PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge problems in a VX

bennylaird
19th June 2007, 12:45 AM
I have a VX Calais (Series II). Seems to be a problems with all the VX's.

Wife ran out of petrol with the gauge showing plenty and the computer readout at 120Km of fuel left. RACV guy said I bet your out of petrol as he walked up to her.

The problem is worse now, empty at half full on the gauge with 400Kms still on the puter.

Aparently easy to fix once you remove the fuel tank.

Anyone else having this problem?

Big Shed
19th June 2007, 12:59 AM
We have a VX as well and yes the fuel gauge is wildly inaccurate. Sometimes when we start the car it beeps to tell us we are low on fuel, then 10 minutes later it shows 1/4 tank!

Fortunately we don't have to rely on it, ours is on LPG, and LPG gauges are also usually inaccurate! So we know how many km's we get out of tank and make sure we fill up before we run out of gas, if we do we change to petrol:U

Big Shed
19th June 2007, 01:02 AM
Just Googled this (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=holden+vx+fuel+gauge+problem&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU), seems we are not alone!

bennylaird
19th June 2007, 01:07 AM
We just reset the trip gauge these days. The Calais has 3 displays and one is fuel used. So fill up about 50 litres down.

bennylaird
19th June 2007, 01:10 AM
Just Googled this (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=holden+vx+fuel+gauge+problem&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU), seems we are not alone!

Yep have read the threads in the Commodore forum before.

MurrayD99
19th June 2007, 06:37 AM
We just reset the trip gauge these days. The Calais has 3 displays and one is fuel used. So fill up about 50 litres down.

Benny my VT has never given any problems - on the contrary, it has been faultless - I got into the habit of resetting the trip each time I fill up just so I know what fuel milage I am getting. If it gets towards 600Km it is time to start looking for a pump.

Honorary Bloke
19th June 2007, 06:47 AM
Had a Dodge years ago that offered this problem and we just learnt to use the trip odometer. But if you forget to reset it. :D :oo:

bennylaird
19th June 2007, 09:17 AM
I think there was a recall on the particular sender involved but have not check it out. I stay away from dealer service departments after the last one cost $1800. Things like flush the power steering $100, clean the air vents $80 etc. Such a rip off. Part of it was $500 to replace the castors the get rid of the clanging noise from the front end only to drive out and hear the same noise. Went back and no offer to refund the cost of the castors but an offer to change out the stabiliser rubbers for $100. Needless to say didn't bother as it wasn't the rubbers anyway. Still driving it with the noise present, will get a decent mechanic to check it out, I think it's a steering linkage,

Can't say I had much luck with Fords either, just kept changing head gaskets every few months as the started to boil again and again and of course the standard Auto trans failure at 180,000 kms.

Maybe I should get a Toyota like the rest of the world seems to be doing. That is unless someone has a nice Morgan Plus 8 going cheep?

Nah think I'll go back to bikes and get my Triumph Speedmaster (once SWMBO relents and lets me).

Iain
19th June 2007, 10:21 AM
Got a friend with a MOrgan for sale, 15hh, about 6 years old, nice dressage movement, for you $6000.00 with rugs :D :D :D

bennylaird
19th June 2007, 10:27 AM
Got a friend with a MOrgan for sale, 15hh, about 6 years old, nice dressage movement, for you $6000.00 with rugs :D :D :D

Thanks for that Wufflies Hubby, what sort of performance do I get when I fill her with high octane????:o :o :o

Iain
19th June 2007, 10:33 AM
http://www.thewayofhorses.com/octane.html

MurrayD99
19th June 2007, 10:31 PM
[quote=bennylaird;530471].....Maybe I should get a Toyota like the rest of the world seems to be doing.

quote]

C'mon Benny. You don't have to abandon the big sixes for those underpowered thangs. Relax. Just get a VY. :2tsup:

Article99
19th June 2007, 10:43 PM
You don't have to abandon the big sixes for those underpowered thangs.That notion makes me laugh nearly every time I hear it. Why is it that the rest of the world can build a three litre six, that puts out more power than its Australian 4ltr counterpart and still have the thing manage to age much more gracefully? :?

I'm not just talking about the Japanese, either. :no: