PDA

View Full Version : milling timber near Epping, Sydney

mick59wests
19th June 2007, 02:06 PM
Hi,

I have some silky oak 'offcuts' and some cedar that I plan to use to make some furtniture. I want some of this 'split/sliced' (I don't know the correct terminology) from their current 40mm thick to 2 x approx 18mm. If anyone has equipment for this near Epping in Sydney and wants to make a few bob (or recommends somewhere commercial) it would be much appreciated.

The cedar is 2400mm long and 140mm wide and I don't have equipment to do any type of proper job for this.

I did one attempt on my table saw but having to cut from both sides I could NOT get a nice even cut so I figure I'd rather pay someone to do it properly and I'll worrry about making the furniture

thanks

Mick

craigb
19th June 2007, 02:35 PM
Well seeing as you're are at Epping, why not make use of DIY DAN's set-up at Mt Kuringai? He has all the gear you need to accomplish what you want.

Check out his website www.diywoodworks.com.au or send him a PM

arose62
19th June 2007, 05:19 PM
Mick,

you want it "resawn", probably on a bandsaw.

Good excuse to bring one home, IMHO!

Cheers,
Andrew

mick59wests
19th June 2007, 06:30 PM
thanks. I was actually wondering what to use in the first place!

I have a bandsaw but a cheapie and it certainly can't resaw anything of 140mm. I also wonder how hard it would be to accurately resaw a length of 2.4m on a bandsaw. I expect I'd need an industrial one with extension tables or I'd need to cut my wood into smaller lengths in the first place.

Still, a nice new bandsaw would get plenty of use in the years to come.....

thanks again

Mick