PDA

View Full Version : would a GMC BS7 do ... ??

macca
20th August 2003, 01:33 AM
i am after a band saw just for sawing skateboard blanks. this involves cutting 7ply canadian rock maple (which is relatively dense hardwood but also only 7ply and therefore not very thick). i went to bunnings thisarvo and they had a GMC BS7 (which u can check out at: http://www.gmcompany.com/26_band_saws.jpg) and it was only $89, so i just wanted to check as to whether this would be ok for the job?

[it is 200w, 1 speed - 1400rpm, and has plenty of cutting height and throat width for what i need]

thanks a lot
macca

barnsey
20th August 2003, 01:52 AM
Macca,

My first inclination is that this is really just a bit of a dinky toy. Probabaly Ok if you want to make yourself a skate board but if, as I suspect, you are thinking about making a few then I'd be inclined to go for something a bit more substantial. For less than $400 you could buy a DIY grade bandsaw and cut 6 at once!!

Your call but it can be a really useful device and I think you should consider more about what you want to do with it rather than how little you can pay.

My advice - buy the biggest and best you can afford - then you can grow into it in time. Pisses me off to spend less and grow out of it tomorrow:mad:

Jamie

macca2
20th August 2003, 11:32 AM
Macca............I bought the same bandsaw about 9 months ago.

I could not get it to cut straight

I could not get the saw band to tension anywhere tight enough.

It was small, light and unstable.

A toy

All in all a waste of space.............the saw broke after 4 days and I took it back for a refund.

I am now saving my $s to buy a real bandsaw

Macca2