PDA

View Full Version : got a lend of a saw

weisyboy
20th June 2007, 03:46 PM
a mate of mine who dose chainsaw licences just lent me one of his new husky 575 XP saws with a 30" bar. and he found me a 650mm by 5m spotty gum log. just thaught i'd have a gloat.

DJ’s Timber
20th June 2007, 05:45 PM
So where's the picture of the log :doh:

Nice beefy saw, cut the spotty up yet :q

weisyboy
20th June 2007, 05:53 PM
i am going over to mill up the log tomorow will post pics tomprow night.

the saw cost him $1500 including his discount.

weisyboy
20th June 2007, 05:56 PM
i am looking at buying a 125cc sthill of him or rather a mate of his.

givusabrake
20th June 2007, 08:04 PM
I just bought a Stihl Magnum the second largest one available here in Australia "so I am told" its great

I purchased it from Wiggies and recieved a huge discount allthough I did buy a stihl polesaw and small Makita grinder etc I ended up getting about $300 there abouts off of the saw which I thought was grand of them.

So if your near Sale Wiggies you won't go wrong on a Stihl, or a mate of mine runs/owns a business selling Husqvarna in york st "Eddie" nice bloke to deal with

weisyboy
20th June 2007, 10:46 PM
thanks but i think i'll stick to my mate he knows what hes talking abou after 50 years in the timber industry.

weisyboy
22nd June 2007, 06:29 PM
i tried to saw up the spotty today shees gard the saws have only got crosscut cains on them. it took about 20 mins to cut one 2.5m slab with the sthill and the husky didnt do it any faster.

goin to get a skip tooth chain tomorow.

Exador
23rd June 2007, 04:26 PM
i tried to saw up the spotty today shees gard the saws have only got crosscut cains on them. it took about 20 mins to cut one 2.5m slab with the sthill and the husky didnt do it any faster.

goin to get a skip tooth chain tomorow.

And you wanted to sell it for $200 a cube?

weisyboy
23rd June 2007, 06:27 PM
yesterday night i went over to the shed and cut down an old chain off my sthill 026, to make it a skip chain (i took out 2 teeth and left 2 and so on) tried it on an old block of ironbark it cut straight threw it like a nife threw butter without any pushing from me, then i tried the husky 575 with a normal chain and it took 3 times as long and i had to force it, then i tried me sthill 034 with a normal chain, and it cut at the same speed as the husky.

but this morning i went and got a origan skip tooth chain and put it on the 034 it flew threw a peice of ironbark twice as good as the old wornout chain i had made.

that just goes to show that its not the size of the saw its the chain you use with it.

will go over tomorow and try it on the spotty.

Ianab
23rd June 2007, 11:05 PM
that just goes to show that its not the size of the saw its the chain you use with it.

It's both...

The right chain config for the saw / wood is the key. No 'one size fits all'.
But more power is a good thing ;)

Cheers

Ian