PDA

View Full Version : Across Canada

John Saxton
20th June 2007, 10:33 PM
Just a query here wondering if anyone has done a trip across Canada by Road or Rail from British Columbia to the Eastern Seaboard and their thoughts on their trip?

TIA

Cheers:)

dazzler
20th June 2007, 11:01 PM
Mum and dad did the cruise, bamford springs and the train and seemed to have a good time.

If your fit enough I reckon a small campervan and do it on my own would be great:2tsup: .

John Saxton
20th June 2007, 11:09 PM
Mum and dad did the cruise, bamford springs and the train and seemed to have a good time.

If your fit enough I reckon a small campervan and do it on my own would be great:2tsup: .

ta Dazzler, for that was thinking along the same lines only instead of renting a campervan perhaps buying one and selling it the other side!

Cheers:)

MurrayD99
21st June 2007, 09:43 AM
Road and air... Got a rental at Vancouver and had a great, great trip up the Fraser anmd Thompson rivers to Hope, Kamloops (overnight) then to Jasper (overnight), Banff (overnight), then back West through Kelowna to Penticton (overnight) then Vancouver. Flew to each of Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Charlottetown (PEI) then Halifax to London. Got rental cars each of the stopovers. Not sure I'd drive the whole way. Been back to Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary many times on business. PM me if you want details of the BC/Alberta road trip. We like Canada -probably shows!:D

Toolin Around
21st June 2007, 02:09 PM
Do your research on the rail idea. At one time it was easy to get a train across the country but I have a feeling that it's not as easy anymore. I think there maybe gaps in the trip where you'll have to find transport to the next train.

I'm a bit biased... If I were planning a trip like that I'd plan it around spending the most time on the west coast. Both the weather and scenery are far better IMHO.

MurrayD99
21st June 2007, 02:24 PM
There isn't a lot to see once you leave the Rockies. Nova Scotia and PEI are real nice though.

John Saxton
21st June 2007, 10:22 PM
Thankyou for all your responses,We still have the idea of driving across as we want to cross into the States and revisit some of the areas we missed on a previous trip there.

Am planning on incorporating a year "round the world" airline trip with six months of it spent in Canada/US ,all this on retirement soon.

I understand that there can be lengthy delay's on border crossings into the US, has anyone experienced this?

cheers:)

Toolin Around
22nd June 2007, 02:03 PM
Thankyou for all your responses,We still have the idea of driving across as we want to cross into the States and revisit some of the areas we missed on a previous trip there.

Am planning on incorporating a year "round the world" airline trip with six months of it spent in Canada/US ,all this on retirement soon.

I understand that there can be lengthy delay's on border crossings into the US, has anyone experienced this?

cheers:)

Only at the main crossings close to large populations. Go to a rural area and you'll have no problem finding a quiet crossing. Crossing at night at the main crossing tends to be a bit more speedy also.

rupertbri
1st July 2007, 04:34 AM
make sure you all have your passports with you that will be a big help in crossing over the border .

dazzler
1st July 2007, 06:55 PM
And dont try and cross with these guys

:D