PDA

View Full Version : Fine Homebuilding site - problem viewing videos

Tiger
20th June 2007, 10:43 PM
I have joined the Taunton's Fine Homebuilding site for a month so that I could watch their online videos. I am not able to view them. It states in their FAQs that you need Flashplayer 9 which I have installed. I have left a message for their customer service but haven't received anything back. Maybe we are too far away for them to answer :roll: . Has anyone else had this problem. Are these short videos able to be downloaded so they can be watched more often. I have dial-up only and that would save a lot of time.

q9
20th June 2007, 11:44 PM
Use firefox, and get a pluggin called "VideoDownloader"...then you need to find an flv player, and you're set :)

Tiger
21st June 2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks q9. I have tried firefox to view the videos and I still can't view them let alone download them. Has anybody else had problems viewing these online videos from the Taunton site?

Gumby
21st June 2007, 06:29 PM
Maybe dial up is your problem. That would be too slow to watch streaming vids.

Dan
21st June 2007, 06:44 PM
I had no trouble seeing the videos. There is a page at Adobe for testing your Flash player installation. I just tried it and it wanted to install Shockwave as well but you can decline that and the Flash window will still work.
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

One other thing to check (in Explorer) is to go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced, then in the Browsing section see if "Enable third party browser extensions" has a green tick on it. If it isn't ticked try ticking it and restarting.

Tiger
21st June 2007, 07:47 PM
Dan, tried both of your suggestions. Still doesn't work. Have tried on Broadband at 2 different places, still no videos displaying. Other videos (non Taunton's) seem to be working ok.

Dan
21st June 2007, 09:56 PM
How about YouTube videos? If Youtube works then your firewall might be blocking the Taunton site from downloading the video content.

P.S. Don't make the mistake of thinking I know what I'm talking about. Just throwing out a couple of ideas, that's all.:D

Tiger
21st June 2007, 10:38 PM
Dan, Youtube works.

Ramps
21st June 2007, 10:47 PM
Tiger

I have watched many of the videos from the FineHomebuilding site in Firefox.

What are the symptoms? a blank box? an error?

Tiger
22nd June 2007, 12:13 AM
Ramps, no error message, just a blank box.

joez
22nd June 2007, 11:14 AM
I've had a similar problem in the past it had something do to with the codec's I installed k-lite codecs and it fixed my problem.

http://www.codecguide.com/

Once you get it working, keep your eye on your temporary internet folder you might be able to grab hold of the good clips and keep them and play them off your hard drive :wink: much better than via dial-up

joez

Tiger
23rd June 2007, 11:21 AM
Joez, tried your suggestion, still nothing. Would advise anyone who is contemplating paying and becoming a member to view their videos hold off until Tauntons fix this problem.

Tiger
16th July 2007, 01:58 PM
Am now able to view the videos but cannot download like I can with Youtube. Have tried the plugin for Firefox which can download 60 different types of videos but it won't download Taunton's. Anyone have any suggestions?

Chris Parks
18th July 2007, 01:53 PM
Taunton's are very big on video copyright so I am not surprised at you having difficulty copying them.