PDA

View Full Version : Pain with broken arm

munruben
21st June 2007, 12:15 PM
How long does a broken arm take to mend. Broke mine just over 2 weeks ago, still painful. Friend told me it shouldn't still be hurting. Don't know never broke anything before.
Its broke just above the wrist, doctors wanted to operate and put plates in cos it was pretty bad and didn't set properly. Didn't fancy operation when I was told of the risks involved so letting nature take its course. Just wondered if any of you guys or gals has had a broken arm and how long did it take to mend and how long before it stopped paining you.
Doctors don't say much just keep cast on for 6 weeks, then go back to see if it can come off.
So everything is on hold at the moment. Got a few projects in various stages of completion but will just have to wait.:(

DJ’s Timber
21st June 2007, 05:17 PM
I've broken mine a few times and it normally takes at least 1 to 2 weeks to settle down maybe a bit more depending on the break. Sounds similar to a break my Mum had a while back, she was in pain for a good few weeks.

ozwinner
21st June 2007, 05:24 PM
I almost cut my finger off ages ago (2002) while polishing a rock, I could see the bone through the cut. :doh:

Anyway.

It took over 3 years for the pain to go away and I still get twinges when its cold.

I even contemplated doing the job properly on the drop saw 12 months after the accident as it was still that painful. :o :no:

But it came good.:;

Al :U

echnidna
21st June 2007, 06:35 PM
I broke a thumb and it took over a year for the pain to go.

Harry72
22nd June 2007, 09:51 AM
I got the tip of a pinky finger crushed at work(2t worth of zinc, a slipped load), the bone was completely shattered... 5 years later still hurts when cold and cant ever play classical guitar properly again.

Iain
22nd June 2007, 10:46 AM
Came a gutser on (or should I say off) a horse almost six years ago, broke my wrist and cracked 8 ribs, they still hurt sometimes and the wrist is still a bit tender at times.

munruben
22nd June 2007, 05:50 PM
thanks for the input guys, it hasn't made me feel much better:rolleyes:

munruben
22nd June 2007, 05:54 PM
I even contemplated doing the job properly on the drop saw
That would have been a bit drastic ozwinner:o

ozwinner
22nd June 2007, 06:03 PM
That would have been a bit drastic ozwinner:o

Yeah, I figured the doctors wouldnt have wanted any thing to do with amputating it.

Al :U

echnidna
22nd June 2007, 09:29 PM
My thumb was the same, I thought I'd give it another year and see if it improved or off it woulda come.

ozwinner
22nd June 2007, 10:00 PM
Its funny how ya think when ya have a niggling pain that goes on for hour after hour, day after day, week after week.

It was freekin useless as it was, so cutting it off seemed a good way to get rid of the offending appendage.

I would have cut it off no problem, maybe the threat of doing so made it come good? :U

I have no idea what the plan was after cutting it off.

Al :o

Buzza
22nd June 2007, 11:34 PM
I think amputee's sometimes have "Phantom Pains". That's what I've heard at least, so lopping a sore thumb off may be a waste of time. :o

A broken limb is usually X-Rayed at some stage of the first six weeks from memory. This would show any nasties up.:cool:

In any case, little twinges will always come and go with broken bones. The best cure is to have another drink. :2tsup:

journeyman Mick
23rd June 2007, 12:01 AM
............I have no idea what the plan was after cutting it off.............

Bleed a lot, call an ambulance, faint.:oo:

Mick