PDA

View Full Version : hungry router

Arch Stanton
23rd June 2007, 07:29 AM
I was routing a chair leg and the router went nuts and ate a big chunk out of it. I think I am pretty well stuffed and will have to start again but before I do I'll show you gents and see if it possibly can be saved. I expect any patch up job will stand out like you know what.

Honorary Bloke
23rd June 2007, 07:43 AM
Yeah, my router "goes nuts" now and again too. :D

What kind of wood? Can't see any easy fix unless you were planning on painting it, then you could just shape some filler.

Maybe change the leg design, tapered at the bottom, that would cut out the offending piece? :(

Arch Stanton
23rd June 2007, 07:58 AM
It is eastern mahogany. I don't want to change the shape and I am going to stain it so this piece looks headed for the scraps pile. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

DJ’s Timber
23rd June 2007, 09:29 AM
Next time try using mutliple passes only taking off a little each time

Black Ned
23rd June 2007, 10:04 AM
Do Not Throw it Out!

Cut it up for Pen Blanks

Arch Stanton
23rd June 2007, 03:30 PM
Next time try using mutliple passes only taking off a little each time

today's plan is to cut it on the band saw very, very close to the finished size. Have the router at full speed and have a very slow feed on a climb cut. And most importantly, cross my fingers.

Arch Stanton
23rd June 2007, 06:30 PM
Success. I have one small spot the size of a match head which I can fix. Light cuts are the way to go. Not to keen on this climb cutting.

AlexS
23rd June 2007, 07:05 PM
Why did you use a climb cut?

Arch Stanton
23rd June 2007, 08:01 PM
From reading posts in the router forum I got the impression that it may help eliminate tear out.